• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Offseason thread

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured I’d start this now since nobody is posting in any of the other threads.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, looks like we officially are set with the #2 pick in the draft next year since the tie breaker would be who had the worst record last year and ours was worse than the Marlins.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have a great team for next season.....Some good hitting and pitching. The relief has some work to do and so do the closers, we were in quite few 1-run games we could have won along with blown-lead games. I see at least 30 games better for next season.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have a great team for next season.....Some good hitting and pitching. The relief has some work to do and so do the closers, we were in quite few 1-run games we could have won along with blown-lead games. I see at least 30 games better for next season.
I feel like we at least have 3/5 of the rotation with Cobb, Means and Bundy. I’d try to covert Harvey into a closer that could occasionally go two innings if need be. Because nobody really seemed to take the ball and run with it in that spot.
For offense, what would be the biggest thing is if we could get Davis off the roster. He’s clogging up a space on the roster that could go to someone else that could be of use for us. If that happened, I’d move Mancini to first. What I think we need help with is the left side of the infield (assuming Villar is used at second).

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis had 11 homers and was barely used, he had a few multi-hit games and wasn't used in next games. There isn't a team out there that will touch his deferred contract, I think he can be utilized in off the bench situations. He is not done and wants to be an ortole

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how anyone else feels but I’m hoping that the Astros win the World Series.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how anyone else feels but I’m hoping that the Astros win the World Series.

It doesn't really matter to me, living in New England as long as its not the Sox or Yanks I normally don't care.

It is not looking good for the Stros right now.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't really matter to me, living in New England as long as its not the Sox or Yanks I normally don't care.

It is not looking good for the Stros right now.
Agreed. I don’t know what happened to them in the 6th last night but whatever it was, it killed any chance they had of winning the game.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orioles Reportedly Working To Trade Dylan Bundy

Orioles Reportedly Working To Trade Dylan Bundy

By Jeff Todd | November 27, 2019 at 11:01am CDT

The Orioles are trying to hammer out a deal involving right-hander Dylan Bundy, according to MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand (via Twitter). Whether or not talks are focused with a single team isn’t evident.

It’s a bit difficult to assess just how likely a swap truly is. Feinsand offers the obscure observation that “no deal is imminent, but one appears to be getting close.” It seems at minimum that the O’s are working hard to move the former top draft pick.

Bundy projects to earn $5.7MM in arbitration with one more season of control still to go. That could be a bargain if he can clean some things up. But there’s obviously work to do if Bundy is to reach his ceiling.

On the positive side, Bundy has shown an ability to generate ~12% swinging strikes and about a strikeout per inning. He has averaged about thirty starts per season for three years running. And he’s still just 27 years of age.

The results, though, haven’t been there. Bundy posted a 5.45 ERA in 2018 and a 4.79 mark in the just-completed campaign. He has allowed gobs of long balls and doesn’t carry near the velocity that was once expected — a product, perhaps, of the run of arm troubles that marred his early career.

It’s possible to imagine any number of teams having some level of interest in Bundy. Contenders willing to take a bit of a risk on one rotation spot could have interest, as might rebuilding organizations seeking a combination of reliable innings and upside.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trey Mancini, Orioles Have Not Yet Discussed Extension

By Anthony Franco | December 1, 2019 at 6:18pm CDT

Orioles’ first baseman/corner outfielder Trey Mancini addressed his future with reporters this afternoon. While Mancini reiterated his desire to remain in Baltimore, the organization has not yet approached him about an extension, he said (via Rich Dubroff of Baltimore Baseball). Nevertheless, Mancini added that he’s “pretty confident” he won’t be traded this offseason, although he acknowledged that’s hardly within his control (via Joe Trezza of MLB.com).

There are myriad options for GM Mike Elias and the rest of the front office to take with Mancini. There are plausible cases for the organization to lock him up long-term or to move him this offseason. Alternatively, there needn’t be a mandate on the organization’s part to commit to anything just yet. Mancini, 28 in March, is entering his first year of arbitration and won’t be eligible for free agency until after 2022. Projected for a reasonable $5.7MM salary, the Orioles could simply elect to tender Mancini a contract and plug him back into the middle of the lineup next season.

There are reasons why it makes some sense to be decisive now, though. Last year, Mancini slashed .291/.364/.535 with 35 home runs. He was easily the Orioles’ best hitter, and he finished tied for 30th among qualifiers with a 132 wRC+. That outpaced the fine but unexciting work Mancini did at the plate over his first two-plus MLB seasons. He entered 2019 with a career .268/.319/.458 slash, hardly remarkable for a bat-first player.

If the Orioles’ front office expects Mancini to regress towards his career norms, the time could be right to move him. The free agent market for first basemen isn’t particularly robust, and it stands to reason Mancini will never have more trade value than he does right now. Even if he continues to hit well next season, he’ll inch closer to free agency. His high home run and RBI totals figure to run up a pricey arbitration tag in the coming years, too. With the Orioles almost sure to be noncompetitive again in 2020, perhaps Mancini’s peak years ought be spent outside of Baltimore.

On the other hand, there’s value to having quality players around, even at the lowest depths of a rebuild. Mancini’s a likable and productive player. Moving him would certainly be a tough pill for some fans to swallow. (Of course, that didn’t stop the Orioles from waiving Jonathan Villar, Mancini’s only competition for Baltimore’s best player, earlier this week in a cost-cutting move). Mancini is also young enough to potentially be a part of Baltimore’s next competitive club, especially if he continues to be willing to work out a long-term arrangement. Bat-first players haven’t generated particularly exciting returns in trade the past few seasons. It’s certainly possible that Baltimore could have trouble finding an offer sufficient to part with their most recognizable player. If that indeed proves to be the case, there could be value to engaging with him on an extension.

A new contract would at the very least give both player and organization some cost certainty moving forward. As noted, Mancini’s skillset tends to be more highly-regarded by arbitrators than by current MLB front offices. The Orioles might prefer to lock in Mancini’s salary for the next few years rather than risk exorbitant arbitration awards, particularly if the player is willing to forfeit a would-be free agent year or two. Today’s news that the organization has yet to approach Mancini hardly precludes them from doing so at a later date this offseason.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like that Villar move. I know he's owed 10 million and most teams do not want to pay that. I feel like they would have been better hanging onto him and trading him during the season.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like that Villar move. I know he's owed 10 million and most teams do not want to pay that. I feel like they would have been better hanging onto him and trading him during the season.
I was more surprised that we didn't trade him before the deadline this past season. Hopefully this pitcher turns out to be decent at least.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was more surprised that we didn't trade him before the deadline this past season. Hopefully this pitcher turns out to be decent at least.

Yea that's when they should of. Maybe they were asking to much.

Trey being traded next?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that's when they should of. Maybe they were asking to much.

Trey being traded next?
The only team I heard was even interested in him at the deadline was the Cubs. Don’t remember seeing what they offered or if they never even got to that point.
I’m thinking that Trey stays because we value him more than what other teams would be willing to give up. The one I’m interested in seeing whether or not he’s moved is Bundy. I might be overthinking here but I wouldn’t be surprised if we moved one or two catchers by the trade deadline or during the winter meetings next year to make room for Rustchman.