• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Season Preview...gut feeling

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Steelernation…we all know the window is closing every year on Ben's career...he's talked of extending, beyond the ’19 season. But, he's also said he wants his horses upfront and I think we will start to see some turnover there next year...so we are working with Ben for 2018, hopefully all of it.

Looks like 8 national or majority of the country games…For some reason ATL always gets another 2 or 3 Steeler games that are not national…I’m committed to streaming TV now so I’ll probably be searching for 4 or 5 games.

On the surface it looks to be a tough schedule, certainly tougher than LY. Week 7 bye is probably a good spot, especially if they start strong. In DIV, every team will probably be better than they were LY, but to what degree is hard to say recordwise...BAL may not do much better than 9-7.

Assuming the health of the team is good all season.

High side 12-4

Low side 10-6

I'm thinking 4-2 in DIV...I think they're capable of the north sweep again, but I have them losing @BAL and @CIN...I can see them losing one to CLE, but I'm projecting a sweep again here...week 1 they should be pumped facing Haley, and barring a big injury they should handle them at home coming off the bye in wk 8.

NFCS

Wk 3, @ TB MNF... I think Winston now realizes he's truly on thin ice and will play his best ball. National game, I think MT will have them ready...don't know if TB has the edge pressure to keep Ben under control. Win

Wk 5, ATL coming to town...the pass rush/DEF will need to be ready...swing game imo..this could go either way, but I'm calling it now. Win

Wk 10 CAR, TNF...road team often struggles in this game...hopefully that holds true again. Win

Wk 16 @ NO…late CBS game, tough place to play, need the DL/edge boys and secondary to have great games…Loss

AFCW

Wk 2…KC, I’m not sure what the Chiefs will be with a 1st yr starter @ QB, but the kid can play…Win.

Wk 12…@ DEN, CBS late the Tebow game continues to haunt me. Some redemption this week. Win

Wk 13…LAC, dangerous team, they have great edge players on DEF and solid QB/weapons on OFC…Tomlin seems to let one get away every year…Loss.

Wk 14…@ OAK…SNF 3rd AFCW game in a row and another trip out west and it precedes the NE game…Loss

Other Key Games

Wk 11 @ JAX…SNF, Time to find out about this team. Can they stop the big RB Fournette? Based on the early ILB issues, I say no, they but they do enough on OFC to win a close one…Win

Wk 15…NE, Another big late CBS game. Nemesis BB/Brady…finally, I think the 3 S DEF works in this game. Win

Doing the math, 2 DIV losses and 3 out of DIV…11-5 is about where I think they will finish if they split ATL and LAC at home. Both are 50/50 type games right now even though they will probably be favorites in both…don’t think they will lose them both, but gut feeling is they will lose one of them.

This team still has some holes of its own. Randy Fichtner takes over the OC role. Will they be more diverse on OFC? Is the secondary finally championship caliber? Will the edge pressure be there all season? Will they be able to stop the run? 10-6 is certainly a possibility against this schedule and they might still be a better team than LY’s 13 win season.

What say you?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually wait til the end of preseason to do my predictions, but I decided to do them a little early. I have inserted what I believe is the best case and worst case scenarios for the season. In the best case, we are the 3rd seed and in the worst case, we are the 4th seed. No matter what, however, it seems like the road to #7 runs through New England once again.

Attachments

• Best Case.png
    Best Case.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Worst Case.png
    Worst Case.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 6

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually wait til the end of preseason to do my predictions, but I decided to do them a little early. I have inserted what I believe is the best case and worst case scenarios for the season. In the best case, we are the 3rd seed and in the worst case, we are the 4th seed. No matter what, however, it seems like the road to #7 runs through New England once again.

Good work.

I'm more in line with your best case projection I think....I don't see the Ravens sweeping them...or CAR beating them in PIT. Right now, I'm 50/50 on the ATL game. Really could depend on the edge/DL pressure for PIT in that one...must make Ryan move around a lot, hit him a few times.

I wouldn't bet much on it, but I have a feeling this is the year they finally beat NE.

On paper I think NE gets to 1 seed unless they lose the h-t-h tiebreaker to PIT...@ CHI, @ JAX, @ DET, @ TN, @ PIT and they get GB and MIN at home...they will probably be in the 11-12 win range.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good work.

I'm more in line with your best case projection I think....I don't see the Ravens sweeping them...or CAR beating them in PIT. Right now, I'm 50/50 on the ATL game. Really could depend on the edge/DL pressure for PIT in that one...must make Ryan move around a lot, hit him a few times.

I wouldn't bet much on it, but I have a feeling this is the year they finally beat NE.

On paper I think NE gets to 1 seed unless they lose the h-t-h tiebreaker to PIT...@ CHI, @ JAX, @ DET, @ TN, @ PIT and they get GB and MIN at home...they will probably be in the 11-12 win range.

Yeah I lean more towards the best case projection as well. Looking at New England's schedule, they only play 4 playoff teams from last year, Pit, Jax, KC and Minn. However, KC has a rookie QB (2nd year, 1st year starting), Minn has a new QB that may or may not improve the team and Brady and Co. also have to play the Packers with a hungry and hopefully healthy Aaron Rodgers. I can't see the Patriots going 15-1, which is how it looks on paper, but I honestly can't see them losing many games, health being a huge factor. I see no lower than 13-3 for the Patriots and that is them losing to Jax, GB and PIT. I don't see anywhere else that they lose. Maybe Luck and the Colts pull a fast one on them? Maybe Cousins and MINN overpower them? I think if there were ever a time that we would beat NE, it's gotta be this year right? I mean, the last time we beat them, was 2011 and we've only beaten them 3 times since Brady became QB. I always predict a Patriots win when we play them and for us to lose to Baltimore at least once a season just to be on the safe side. Atlanta will be tough, New Orleans in New Orleans will be tougher, Jacksonville is now an issue for us for some reason and the Patriots are the Patriots. I'd put my money on 11-5 this year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I lean more towards the best case projection as well. Looking at New England's schedule, they only play 4 playoff teams from last year, Pit, Jax, KC and Minn. However, KC has a rookie QB (2nd year, 1st year starting), Minn has a new QB that may or may not improve the team and Brady and Co. also have to play the Packers with a hungry and hopefully healthy Aaron Rodgers. I can't see the Patriots going 15-1, which is how it looks on paper, but I honestly can't see them losing many games, health being a huge factor. I see no lower than 13-3 for the Patriots and that is them losing to Jax, GB and PIT. I don't see anywhere else that they lose. Maybe Luck and the Colts pull a fast one on them? Maybe Cousins and MINN overpower them? I think if there were ever a time that we would beat NE, it's gotta be this year right? I mean, the last time we beat them, was 2011 and we've only beaten them 3 times since Brady became QB. I always predict a Patriots win when we play them and for us to lose to Baltimore at least once a season just to be on the safe side. Atlanta will be tough, New Orleans in New Orleans will be tougher, Jacksonville is now an issue for us for some reason and the Patriots are the Patriots. I'd put my money on 11-5 this year.

Yeah...you're right, 13 wins might be the low mark for them. Without much resistance from the DIV at all, we can pretty much pencil NE in the 1 seed spot. Maybe they lose @ MIA, but hard to see BUF or NYJ winning a game vs Brady with new starters at QB.

For the Steelers we pretty much see the pitfall games the same...the NFCS will be hard fought wins...@ NO on week 16...that could be a shootout. I've also gone back to my traditional split with BAL. I'm curious about JAX in general...they will be a tough out for PIT for sure, but following up a good season with expectations is different from sneaking up on teams.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Steelernation…we all know the window is closing every year on Ben's career...he's talked of extending, beyond the ’19 season. But, he's also said he wants his horses upfront and I think we will start to see some turnover there next year...so we are working with Ben for 2018, hopefully all of it.

Looks like 8 national or majority of the country games…For some reason ATL always gets another 2 or 3 Steeler games that are not national…I’m committed to streaming TV now so I’ll probably be searching for 4 or 5 games.

On the surface it looks to be a tough schedule, certainly tougher than LY. Week 7 bye is probably a good spot, especially if they start strong. In DIV, every team will probably be better than they were LY, but to what degree is hard to say recordwise...BAL may not do much better than 9-7.

Assuming the health of the team is good all season.

High side 12-4

Low side 10-6

I'm thinking 4-2 in DIV...I think they're capable of the north sweep again, but I have them losing @BAL and @CIN...I can see them losing one to CLE, but I'm projecting a sweep again here...week 1 they should be pumped facing Haley, and barring a big injury they should handle them at home coming off the bye in wk 8.

NFCS

Wk 3, @ TB MNF... I think Winston now realizes he's truly on thin ice and will play his best ball. National game, I think MT will have them ready...don't know if TB has the edge pressure to keep Ben under control. Win

Wk 5, ATL coming to town...the pass rush/DEF will need to be ready...swing game imo..this could go either way, but I'm calling it now. Win

Wk 10 CAR, TNF...road team often struggles in this game...hopefully that holds true again. Win

Wk 16 @ NO…late CBS game, tough place to play, need the DL/edge boys and secondary to have great games…Loss

AFCW

Wk 2…KC, I’m not sure what the Chiefs will be with a 1st yr starter @ QB, but the kid can play…Win.

Wk 12…@ DEN, CBS late the Tebow game continues to haunt me. Some redemption this week. Win

Wk 13…LAC, dangerous team, they have great edge players on DEF and solid QB/weapons on OFC…Tomlin seems to let one get away every year…Loss.

Wk 14…@ OAK…SNF 3rd AFCW game in a row and another trip out west and it precedes the NE game…Loss

Other Key Games

Wk 11 @ JAX…SNF, Time to find out about this team. Can they stop the big RB Fournette? Based on the early ILB issues, I say no, they but they do enough on OFC to win a close one…Win

Wk 15…NE, Another big late CBS game. Nemesis BB/Brady…finally, I think the 3 S DEF works in this game. Win

Doing the math, 2 DIV losses and 3 out of DIV…11-5 is about where I think they will finish if they split ATL and LAC at home. Both are 50/50 type games right now even though they will probably be favorites in both…don’t think they will lose them both, but gut feeling is they will lose one of them.

This team still has some holes of its own. Randy Fichtner takes over the OC role. Will they be more diverse on OFC? Is the secondary finally championship caliber? Will the edge pressure be there all season? Will they be able to stop the run? 10-6 is certainly a possibility against this schedule and they might still be a better team than LY’s 13 win season.

What say you?

@FaCe-LeE-uS...maybe you already did this, but your early thoughts?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS...maybe you already did this, but your early thoughts?
Gah, yea I spaced it. Read this thread and was going to pull my post from the season schedule thread where we made our original predictions breaking up the season in 3rds or 1/4s. Was going to rehash on my original thoughts. Don't think I'll need much updating because nothing catastrophic has happened that would change my mind. If anything I'm feelin more confident about those predictions.

I'll get around to it at some point.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gah, yea I spaced it. Read this thread and was going to pull my post from the season schedule thread where we made our original predictions breaking up the season in 3rds or 1/4s. Was going to rehash on my original thoughts. Don't think I'll need much updating because nothing catastrophic has happened that would change my mind. If anything I'm feelin more confident about those predictions.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Cool...I think most Steeler fans are thinking along the same lines...10-6 to 11-5 is what most guys I know are thinking.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly what I have been waiting to hear...

I knew from digging up articles on Fichtner's past OC schemes in the NCAA that we would expect to see some of this. But we really didn't get much of a confirmation IIRC. Now we have it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrote this in the 2018 Opponents Finalized thread which is still my same line of thinking...

In what I believe was our tradition @ATL96Steeler of breaking the season into quarters:

1st Quarter:
1PM - @ Cleveland
1PM - vs. Kansas City
8:15PM - @ Tampa Bay (Monday Night)
8:20PM - vs. Baltimore (Sunday Night)

Thoughts: Steelers lucked out with a soft opening quarter to their schedule. Cleveland could surprise us with all the new firepower, but I think they'll take a game or 2 before they get in sync. Steelers should be ready to punch them in the mouth. Chiefs have a new QB to break in & their defense doesn't look as strong so I'm not as concerned about them yet. The TB game looks like a classic Tomlin trap game. They aren't a bad team, but of course the Steelers should be favored to win by 6-7 points. Being on the road I could see a slip up there. The Baltimore games always concern me. I'll take the Steelers at home in that game.

Take:
3-1 here is optimal, but 2-2 is a fair reality. I'll take the 3-1 even if I'm not overly confident.

2nd Quarter:
1PM - vs. Atlanta
1PM - @ Cincinnati
BYE WEEK
1PM - vs. Browns
1PM - @ Baltimore

Thoughts: Hoping the Steelers will be riding some momentum coming out the the bye week. Atlanta is a good home draw. Would be more concerned about them on the road, but at home it should be the Steelers game. Not sure what to think of Cincy yet, but I'm not worried. The next Cleveland matchup at home looks potent on paper. If Cleveland's offseason investments start paying dividends, then this game could bite us. I usually split the games with Baltimore, so I'll take a loss on the road.

Take: Going to take a 3-1 here. Banking on the bye week helping out.

3rd Quarter:
8:20PM - vs. Carolina (Thursday Night)
8:20PM - @ Jacksonville (Sunday Night)
4:25PM - @ Denver
1PM - vs. LA Chargers

Thoughts: Yeesh. Coming off the road game at Balt will be a 4 day rest before Carolina comes into town. Not looking forward to that. Thankfully its a home game. Jags on the road will be brutal. Steelers play up to their competition, but I don't see that defense giving up 42 points to us again, especially not on their home turf. Steelers have never been very good at Mile High. Denver is a reeling team searching for identity. Sometimes those are the dangerous ones. Chargers defense is rising, and their offense is more than capable. Should be an interesting game.

Take: Another 3-1. Loss going to Jax. Steelers should be too much for the other teams to handle.

4th Quarter:
8:20PM - @ Oakland (Sunday Night)
4:25PM - vs. New England
4:25PM - @ New Orleans
1PM - vs. Cincinnati

Thoughts: Tough stretch of games to close out the season. Steelers are notoriously bad when traveling long distances so the Oakland game could give them problems. New England game with playoff implications... Sound familiar? Steelers need to find a way even though they rarely do against NE. Going to go out on a limb and say the Steelers get it done this year. After all that emotion they'll fall back to reality at New Orleans.

Take: Going with losses to OAK & NO here. The Saints game is going to be a reality check after an emotional NE game. Something tells me the Steelers may stumble into the playoffs this season. 2-2.

Overall: Going with 11-5, although I could easily see this being a 10 win season. Going up against 6 playoff teams should make things interesting. I hope 10-11 wins is enough to win the AFCN division. Regardless, this is a much tougher path to the playoffs. Should be some great games though! 5 primetime games. 11 out of 16 games are afternoon or later games, so that's a plus!

Predicting a strong 1st half to the season at 6-2. I think the defense will surprise us. Mainly because there aren't a whole lot of elite QBs that they'll be facing. Still some road games that concern me, but I'm hoping for the best. 2nd half of the season is going to be tough. Unfavorable travel between short weeks, tough road games, big time implications, etc. Thinking 5-3 is optimal during that half. Finishing at 11-5 and the #2 seed is my prediction.

As it has been every year, the resulting success hinges on the defense. I don't think the offense will have any issues putting up numbers.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly what I have been waiting to hear...

I knew from digging up articles on Fichtner's past OC schemes in the NCAA that we would expect to see some of this. But we really didn't get much of a confirmation IIRC. Now we have it.

Back in the day, Ben destroyed many teams running no huddle!!!!
This is going to be a very bad year to play the Steelers if Ben runs a no huddle again.....
With Ben, AB, Juju, and assface bell on the field....this is certain doom for a lot of teams.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrote this in the 2018 Opponents Finalized thread which is still my same line of thinking...

Predicting a strong 1st half to the season at 6-2. I think the defense will surprise us. Mainly because there aren't a whole lot of elite QBs that they'll be facing. Still some road games that concern me, but I'm hoping for the best. 2nd half of the season is going to be tough. Unfavorable travel between short weeks, tough road games, big time implications, etc. Thinking 5-3 is optimal during that half. Finishing at 11-5 and the #2 seed is my prediction.

As it has been every year, the resulting success hinges on the defense. I don't think the offense will have any issues putting up numbers.

I think the 1Q will be critical because as you've said, the back end of the schedule has sharper teeth. Regardless of the chirping that Hue Jackson is doing, PIT will be favored in week 1 and likely the next 3 weeks...3-1 is essential....I'm expecting a 4-0 start.

Overall...yeah, 11-5 and the 2 seed seems to be the numbers. The only way they can snatch the #1 seed is beat NE and hope for a tie, but I don't see 4 more losses for NE.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in the day, Ben destroyed many teams running no huddle!!!!
This is going to be a very bad year to play the Steelers if Ben runs a no huddle again.....
With Ben, AB, Juju, and assface bell on the field....this is certain doom for a lot of teams.

I'm hoping Fichtner opens it up....McD, Hunter, Grimble, Connor, Nix, JJ...now Switzer...spread it around...that will make it that much easier on the big guns and harder to defend.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am obviously going to be in a minority here, but even as great as Pittsburgh's offense is going to be, I think your defense really holds your team back this year along with division opponents that I feel have improved also. Granted, never know until things play out, but I think there could be a 3 way battle for 1st in our division again with Cleveland actually kicking in 5 to 6 wins this year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am obviously going to be in a minority here, but even as great as Pittsburgh's offense is going to be, I think your defense really holds your team back this year along with division opponents that I feel have improved also. Granted, never know until things play out, but I think there could be a 3 way battle for 1st in our division again with Cleveland actually kicking in 5 to 6 wins this year.

Interesting and fair points.

I do think the DIV made some improvements over LY, but I'm going to incl PIT in that....We'll have to see how these guys play, but talent wise, the Steelers are finally getting some starting caliber athletes on the backend of the DEF.

FWIW...I'm projecting a 4-2 DIV record splitting with BAL and CIN. I'm with you on CLE. In fact I have some concerns about week 1 actually, but because of Haley going to CLE...the Steelers will be amped up to play the Browns.

I'm looking at CIN and BAL in much the same light...both can be 9-7, to 10-6 type teams...and I think 10-6 is probably the low mark for PIT so yes, I can see a battle for the north as well.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting and fair points.

I do think the DIV made some improvements over LY, but I'm going to incl PIT in that....We'll have to see how these guys play, but talent wise, the Steelers are finally getting some starting caliber athletes on the backend of the DEF.

FWIW...I'm projecting a 4-2 DIV record splitting with BAL and CIN. I'm with you on CLE. In fact I have some concerns about week 1 actually, but because of Haley going to CLE...the Steelers will be amped up to play the Browns.

I'm looking at CIN and BAL in much the same light...both can be 9-7, to 10-6 type teams...and I think 10-6 is probably the low mark for PIT so yes, I can see a battle for the north as well.

Pittsburgh is still the front runner in my opinion. I just think the division will be more hotly contested than some may think. I think this should be a fun season to watch AFC North football even with the Browns.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh is still the front runner in my opinion. I just think the division will be more hotly contested than some may think. I think this should be a fun season to watch AFC North football even with the Browns.

Agreed...of course you throw out the caveat...barring major injury.

I don't expect any team to go undefeated in the DIV or win it by 3+ games this year.

You said it, we play around with this game is a W, that game is an L, etc. but we never know how these games are going to go...that's the beauty of the NFL...gotta play the games. Still fun to fart around with it.

We're about to get this party started!!

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I am looking forward to it.

Lets just hope that all teams stay healthy so that at the end of the season, truly the best team won, because they had all their players on the field.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Scary thing is our defense has been our weakness for the last 2-3 years.....
It sucks, we never had to worry about the D, we always had to wonder if we fielded the right guys on offense to put points on the board.....Now we have to wonder if we can stop teams from putting up 30 plus points a game!!!!

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok Gents.......

I won't give wins or loses, but I'll tell you the games on the schedule that have me a bit nervous!!!!!!

Week 3 with the Bucks.
We will be coming off a win against the Chiefs, they will be feeling overly confident, and it seems the only Florida team we can beat is Miami.

Week 4 with the Ratbirds.
They are going to be looking for blood having lost the last 3 straight games against us.
They will make this game ugly.

Week 10 with the Panthers.
Cam Newton is going to be a nightmare unless by this time we have in place a legit fill in for Shazier.
He will literally mind fuck the D with his run, not run, run bullshit.....visions of the shit Vick used to do to us.

Week 12 with the Broncos
We will be coming off an emotional win with the Jags, and Denver's D well grab the opportunity and cream it down out throats.

Week 14 with the Raiders
Every time we go to play Oakland/Los Angeles/where ever the fuck they are from, we struggle. This year will be no different, and the Steelers will be looking forward to week 15 anyways.

Week 16 with the Aints.
Drew Brees is going to murder our secondary.....but no one in Pittsburgh will give a shit, Why????
Because we will all be still trolling cheatriot fans about beating their assess in week 15.....
AND JESSIE JAMES WILL GET HIS CATCH!!!!!

:lol: