• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 San Jose Sharks Season Thread

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking Sharks...same ole playoff shit every year. Rookie goaltender making them look like amateurs. Series started with them a well oiled machine and now a broken down old jalopy. 58 next year and I was 30 when team was founded. May never see a cup. Sad. At least before Marleau and Thornton, they overchieved when they were not that good in the Nolan era. I respected those teams. How many times have they lost a series when they had the better record in the Marleau or Thornton era? It all started with Calgary in the final Damphouse season and pretty mostly every season playoff chokers since then.

Last edited:

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you know why no one talks about them on any boards anymore. We are all numb to it. Remember the good ole days when the old ESPN board was packed with Sharks fan in the early 2000's?

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking Sharks...same ole playoff shit every year. Rookie goaltender making them look like amateurs. Series started with them a well oiled machine and now a broken down old jalopy. 58 next year and I was 30 when team was founded. May never see a cup. Sad. At least before Marleau and Thornton, they overchieved when they were not that good in the Nolan era. I respected those teams. How many times have they lost a series when they had the better record in the Marleau or Thornton era? It all started with Calgary in the final Damphouse season and pretty mostly every season playoff chokers since then.

They will win the Cup in 2039.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will win the Cup in 2039.

I was wondering are the Sharks the 3rd longest team not to win the Cup for a team who has never won it? I think St Louis is the longest (that may end now) and then Vancouver followed by the Sharks. Washington was in that group until last year. Arizona could be there since they are formerly Winnipeg, but Arizona itself has not waited as long as the Sharks.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering are the Sharks the 3rd longest team not to win the Cup for a team who has never won it? I think St Louis is the longest (that may end now) and then Vancouver followed by the Sharks. Washington was in that group until last year. Arizona could be there since they are formerly Winnipeg, but Arizona itself has not waited as long as the Sharks.

St. Louis Blues - 50 seasons (not including this season)
Buffalo Sabres - 48
Vancouver Canucks - 48
Arizona Coyotes/Winnipeg Jets franchise - 39
San Jose Sharks - 27
Ottawa Senators - 26
Florida Panthers - 25
Nashville Predators - 20
Columbus Blue Jackets - 18
Minnesota Wild - 18

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis Blues - 50 seasons (not including this season)
Buffalo Sabres - 48
Vancouver Canucks - 48
Arizona Coyotes/Winnipeg Jets franchise - 39
San Jose Sharks - 27
Ottawa Senators - 26
Florida Panthers - 25
Nashville Predators - 20
Columbus Blue Jackets - 18
Minnesota Wild - 18

Oh I forgot the Sabres. Well I am rooting for St Louis. Boston got the World Series, the Super Bowl, and possibly the NHL within a year. Too much.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully, it will happen well before 2039, but just doesn't seem that way right now.

I agree. This was the year they went for it..but Karlsson was an injured bust - imo. He did not score a regular season goal since December? Nyquist a worthless trade deadline acquisition going down in history with mercenaries like Bill Guerin, Ed Belfour, etc. Evander Kane, did they really sign him long term? Him and Nyquist, double-digit playoff games without a goal. Ugh. That won't work. Goaltending went dead. Pavs free agent, Meier restricted free agent. I am sure Karlsson, Thornton are gone for sure. But who else? I would say Couture, Hertl, Burns are the only keepers and Meier if they could sign him. Kane they are stuck with.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree. This was the year they went for it..but Karlsson was an injured bust - imo. He did not score a regular season goal since December? Nyquist a worthless trade deadline acquisition going down in history with mercenaries like Bill Guerin, Ed Belfour, etc. Evander Kane, did they really sign him long term? Him and Nyquist, double-digit playoff games without a goal. Ugh. That won't work. Goaltending went dead. Pavs free agent, Meier restricted free agent. I am sure Karlsson, Thornton are gone for sure. But who else? I would say Couture, Hertl, Burns are the only keepers and Meier if they could sign him. Kane they are stuck with.
They need to move on from Jones if they can but that contract is next to impossible to get rid of, evander Kane to his credit admitted he disappeared, but what he went through this season with his personal loss I can’t really be that upset at the guy. I like Karlsson, but he’s been injured 4 years in a row and they haven’t been minor ones either, replaced a tendon in his ankle and this year 6 month long snatch injury.

I’m just assuming he’s gone at this point. Thornton I think would be willing to take a 1mill base plus bonuses to keep the roster together, I don’t think Pavelski is leaving, Nyquist meh don’t care better options out there.

Doug Wilson always pulls off something

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How old is Pavs? 36? It would have to be a shorter deal if he stays. I agree Dougie is pretty good with the trades over the years. Does anyone remember who they gave up for Burns? That was a steal or steals. Was it Setoguchi and Charlie Coyle? I think they 24+ million in cap space....is that right?

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How old is Pavs? 36? It would have to be a shorter deal if he stays. I agree Dougie is pretty good with the trades over the years. Does anyone remember who they gave up for Burns? That was a steal or steals. Was it Setoguchi and Charlie Coyle? I think they 24+ million in cap space....is that right?

Pavelski is 35. They have about $21-$24 million in cap space, so they should be able to re-sign Thornton and Pavelski, along with Meier and Labanc. Not sure if Wilson will be able to pull off anything close to a trade like the one to acquire Burns for Setoguchi and Coyle. Burns had only one year left on his contract with Minnesota at the time. This team needs more overall mental toughness, based on all of the disappointing playoff exits over the last several years.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He’s on the backside of his career that’s for sure, but he’s clearly the captain so letting him walk is probably detrimental to the locker room. Home town discount maybe just hard to say, wilson is always good about it, id like to see what this team could do healthy, and with competent goaltending

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Erik Karlsson after the playoffs end “I don’t need surgery” today had surgery lol

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s on the backside of his career that’s for sure, but he’s clearly the captain so letting him walk is probably detrimental to the locker room. Home town discount maybe just hard to say, wilson is always good about it, id like to see what this team could do healthy, and with competent goaltending

Way to win a Stanley Cup these days is find an unknown rookie goalie midway through the season ala St. Louis and Pittsburgh a few years back. Wasn't Murray a rookie when he beat the Sharks? Binnington a rookie beats the Sharks.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pavelski is 35. They have about $21-$24 million in cap space, so they should be able to re-sign Thornton and Pavelski, along with Meier and Labanc. Not sure if Wilson will be able to pull off anything close to a trade like the one to acquire Burns for Setoguchi and Coyle. Burns had only one year left on his contract with Minnesota at the time. This team needs more overall mental toughness, based on all of the disappointing playoff exits over the last several years.

Half that went to Karlsson, so Meier and Pavs split the rest?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Way to win a Stanley Cup these days is find an unknown rookie goalie midway through the season ala St. Louis and Pittsburgh a few years back. Wasn't Murray a rookie when he beat the Sharks? Binnington a rookie beats the Sharks.
Seems like the formula, there’s no book out on the goalies so no one knows where to shoot on them, Binnington won a Stanley cup but he will get exposed next season he plays really flat, and drops early.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No this deal pisses me off. 8 years for 11.5 million? They are stuck now with Karlsson and Kane for years.
Kane can still be traded, if he could just mature. Hard to call the guy a late bloomer but the talent is there to be a 40/40 guy with 100 pims. It’s his mental game that’s holding him back on top of being injury prone