• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA playoffs

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy - there better be an incredible Finals (doubt it) or at least some competitive games in the current series or this may go down as one of the worst NBA playoffs ever. No disrespect to a team like the Warriors, but all but one of the current games have been blowouts & that trend could easily continue. The last rd was a total joke & sure there were a couple of good series in the opening rd but also lots of laughers.

I am sure that this is great if you pull for a certain team or player, but I have to believe that the NBA will start losing casual fans since these games have been highly unentertaining.
No offense, but this complaint is only coming from fans of teams that have already lost in the post season or didn't make the post season. For most fans of basketball the post season is arguably the best time of year because of the intensity of the games.

IMO only the Rap/Cle series was a bore so far. And this GS/Rockets series was highly anticipated by many, commentators included.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but this complaint is only coming from fans of teams that have already lost in the post season or didn't make the post season. For most fans of basketball the post season is arguably the best time of year because of the intensity of the games.

IMO only the Rap/Cle series was a bore so far. And this GS/Rockets series was highly anticipated by many, commentators included.

Intensity of the games? They have all been 25 to 30 point blowouts for the most part.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Intensity of the games? They have all been 25 to 30 point blowouts for the most part.
Sure, that's how they end. But, if you've been watching you would realize they don't start out that way. They've been pretty good until about the 3rd quarter.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just like that the Cavs are back in the series. Game 5 is at Boston and I think the winner of that game probably wins the series.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think people are using this story the right way, even the anti-police brutality people. They are just doing the typical "see, this is what police do to black people thing". But this is a PERFECT example of how police use intimidation to violate your civil rights. This is nothing more than a basic citation. Yet they slowly escalate the situation by treating the suspect as if they know there's more crime afoot. They call in more and more police, treat the suspect as hostile even if he isn't, and then use his resistance to their own escalation as an excuse (aka probable cause) to look for more crimes (ie search vehicles, etc). If they find nothing, they just hit the suspect with resisting arrest charges (except this time they got caught because they pulled this on a famous person so they couldn't sweep this under the rug). People of Color often fall more victim to this kind of behavior because statistically they are poorer and have less resources to fight it legally. That's the angle that needs to be played here. It's not just a race thing. It's a POLICE problem because the way policing has evolved is broken. It's become more antagonistic, militaristic, etc. They treat everyone as criminals, guilty until proven innocent, and are rewarded for it because lots of departments have to hit certain quotas to make crime stats look good. If they drive home that point home and point out these clear civil rights violations, I think more and more people would actually wake up.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think people are using this story the right way, even the anti-police brutality people. They are just doing the typical "see, this is what police do to black people thing". But this is a PERFECT example of how police use intimidation to violate your civil rights. This is nothing more than a basic citation. Yet they slowly escalate the situation by treating the suspect as if they know there's more crime afoot. They call in more and more police, treat the suspect as hostile even if he isn't, and then use his resistance to their own escalation as an excuse (aka probable cause) to look for more crimes (ie search vehicles, etc). If they find nothing, they just hit the suspect with resisting arrest charges (except this time they got caught because they pulled this on a famous person so they couldn't sweep this under the rug). People of Color often fall more victim to this kind of behavior because statistically they are poorer and have less resources to fight it legally. That's the angle that needs to be played here. It's not just a race thing. It's a POLICE problem because the way policing has evolved is broken. It's become more antagonistic, militaristic, etc. They treat everyone as criminals, guilty until proven innocent, and are rewarded for it because lots of departments have to hit certain quotas to make crime stats look good. If they drive home that point home and point out these clear civil rights violations, I think more and more people would actually wake up.

I agree with much of this. Not to defend the officers in this because they were clearly wrong...but when it comes to respect/disrespect it's kind of a chicken or the egg situation.

Have police officers become more aggressive because of the increasing disrespect that has been shown to them by the citizens that they are ultimately supposed to protect?

Or, are the citizens that they are ultimately supposed to protect being more disrespectful because the police are becoming more aggressive?

I don't have the answer on that.

What I do know is that my Dad was a police officer for over 20 years. About 3 years after I graduated high school and realized my dream of playing in the NFL wasn't going to happen (lol), I told him that I wanted to be a police officer and asked him how I go about it.

He strongly discouraged me from becoming an officer. His reason? He saw the way things were headed between the police and citizens and didn't want me to have to deal with that stuff. I said I still wanted to be a police officer.

We made a deal that I would go on 3 ride alongs with him and after that, if I still wanted to be a police officer, he would not only help me, but would help me get into his department if that's what I wanted.

I completed my 3 ride alongs even though I knew after the first one that I wasn't going to be a police officer. The amount of bullshit and verbal abuse that I saw my Dad have to put up with while continuing to be respectful and refer to the person as "sir" or "ma'am" was ridiculous. I knew if that was me, someone was getting ktfo'd. lol

I guess my point is...the overwhelming majority of police officers are respectful and go about their jobs the right way, every single day, while putting up with a helluva a lot more shit than any of us would. They spend all day, everyday, seeing the worst that society has to offer.

The biggest problem, imo, is that, just like any other job, there are bad employees. Occasionally, someone who has no business being a police officer manages to get onto a police force and then proceeds to show why they had no business being a police officer. Sometimes it takes a few weeks, or a few months, or even a few years to show it...but they do.

Unfortunately, those are the ones we hear about and because of that, many people assume that most or all police officers are like the bad ones that we hear about.

I don't mind us hearing about those officers, it's important that they are exposed and dealt with.

But I'd also like to see more stories about police officers that do their job the right way. I think that would go along way towards improving the public perception of the police.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that we ever will hear as much about the many good police officers as we do the few bad ones.

Last edited:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to a degree, but it is a racist problem too. Most white people are not treated as criminals by police without provocation. A most recent example of this is the Parkland school shooting in Fl. This guy shot up numerous people & when the police finally caught up to him HE WAS ARMED and they arrested him without incident. He wasn't shot, he wasn't kicked around after he'd been hand cuffed or anything of the sort. Now, I'm not saying they should've done those things. But, those are the things that are happening to people of color. We know this because we've seen black men get shot who haven't been armed AND despite being cooperative.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with much of this. Not to defend the officers in this because they were clearly wrong...but when it comes to respect/disrespect it's kind of a chicken or the egg situation.

Have police officers become more aggressive because of the increasing disrespect that has been shown to them by the citizens that they are ultimately supposed to protect?

Or, are the citizens that they are ultimately supposed to protect being more disrespectful because the police are becoming more aggressive?

I don't have the answer on that.

What I do know is that my Dad was a police officer for over 20 years. About 3 years after I graduated high school and realized my dream of playing in the NFL wasn't going to happen (lol), I told him that I wanted to be a police officer and asked him how I go about it.

He strongly discouraged me from becoming an officer. His reason? He saw the way things were headed between the police and citizens and didn't want me to have to deal with that stuff. I said I still wanted to be a police officer.

We made a deal that I would go on 3 ride alongs with him and after that, if I still wanted to be a police officer, he would not only help me, but would help me get into his department if that's what I wanted.

I completed my 3 ride alongs even though I knew after the first one that I wasn't going to be a police officer. The amount of bullshit and verbal abuse that I saw my Dad have to put up with while continuing to be respectful and refer to the person as "sir" or "ma'am" was ridiculous. I knew if that was me, someone was getting ktfo'd. lol

I guess my point is...the overwhelming majority of police officers are respectful and go about their jobs the right way, every single day, while putting up with a helluva a lot more shit than any of us would. They spend all day, everyday, seeing the worst that society has to offer.

The biggest problem, imo, is that, just like any other job, there are bad employees. Occasionally, someone who has no business being a police officer manages to get onto a police force and then proceeds to show why they had no business being a police officer. Sometimes it takes a few weeks, or a few months, or even a few years to show it...but they do.

Unfortunately, those are the ones we hear about and because of that, many people assume that most or all police officers are like the bad ones that we hear about.

I don't mind us hearing about those officers, it's important that they are exposed and dealt with.

But I'd also like to see more stories about police officers that do their job the right way. I think that would go along way towards improving the public perception of the police.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that we ever will hear as much about the many good police officers as we do the few bad ones.

Oh I agree. There's good officers out there and they do put up with a ton of shit. But at the same time, you rarely if ever see any police condemn the actions of bad police officers. And that's a BIG problem. When they can't even say "yeah, these guys are not good cops and screwed up" with out putting qualifiers on every situation like this case or Philando Castile, or the cop that used the clearly illegal choke hold in NY, we get the situation we are in now where large swaths of the population are distrustful of all police officers. Their tactics and refusal to take real accountability for abuses (some of which are ingrained via training like this case of police intimidation) create the sense that they aren't here to serve the public and be apart of the community, they are there to protect only themselves. It's a natural instinct to protect your own in a world where your life is at risk, but police can't let that feeling lead them to put the badge in front of everything. The more they protect the bad officers and hide abuses, the more it drags the whole of them down.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you rarely if ever see any police condemn the actions of bad police officers. And that's a BIG problem. When they can't even say "yeah, these guys are not good cops and screwed up" with out putting qualifiers on every situation like this case or Philando Castile, or the cop that used the clearly illegal choke hold in NY, we get the situation we are in now where large swaths of the population are distrustful of all police officers. . The more they protect the bad officers and hide abuses, the more it drags the whole of them down.
This is as bad as committing the offense themselves. And the impression is the good cops feel like keeping quiet somehow removes them from the situation since they didn't commit the offense, which is the absolute WRONG mentality.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree. There's good officers out there and they do put up with a ton of shit. But at the same time, you rarely if ever see any police condemn the actions of bad police officers. And that's a BIG problem. When they can't even say "yeah, these guys are not good cops and screwed up" with out putting qualifiers on every situation like this case or Philando Castile, or the cop that used the clearly illegal choke hold in NY, we get the situation we are in now where large swaths of the population are distrustful of all police officers. Their tactics and refusal to take real accountability for abuses (some of which are ingrained via training like this case of police intimidation) create the sense that they aren't here to serve the public and be apart of the community, they are there to protect only themselves. It's a natural instinct to protect your own in a world where your life is at risk, but police can't let that feeling lead them to put the badge in front of everything. The more they protect the bad officers and hide abuses, the more it drags the whole of them down.
You don't see it because most time they CAN'T comment publicly.

Most people have zero idea of how working for a State, City, Federal PD limits, or totally removes, your freedom of speech.

You are not allowed to make public statements, especially for a ongoing investigation.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is as bad as committing the offense themselves. And the impression is the good cops feel like keeping quiet somehow removes them from the situation since they didn't commit the offense, which is the absolute WRONG mentality.
Walk a mile before you make general statements.

Show me a single person that is going to lose their 80-150k a year job to make a public statement about a ongoing investigation.

Colluding to cover up a crime is one thing.

You are a vile, disgusting human being if you do that and have no business with a badge or a gun.

But, Going against your contract to make a public statement is career suicide and I wouldn't give two shits what the General public thought about that because none of you are going to pay my mortgage or put food on my table.

Now, this particular situation.....

Those cops should be fired.

All of them.

But, there is a process.

Everyone gets interviewed by IA.

They don't need to make statements to the Channel 4 news standing next to Gloria Alred and Jessie Jackson.