• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-19 Game Recaps

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is for my recaps of the games. I will try to do every game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-0 (October 17, 2018; Jazz vs. Kings - Box Score - October 17, 2018 - ESPN)

Utah Jazz 123 Sacramento Kings 117

Theme/Trend: Lack of Defensive Consistency. Runs.

Quotes: "That whole group that started the game just was flat, and flat defensively. Against a team that has the level of speed that these guys have, you're playing on your heels and it's hard. As a collective group we just need to be more consistent with our focus defensively throughout the game." - Quinn Snyder

"You could tell from the tip that they were ready and we didn't do a good job of defending that. There was one play where I dunked the ball and I'm jogging back on defense like I did something, and then Justin Jackson gets a 3. Then there was a dead ball and we're all just talking with the ref and they come back down and knock down a 3. Little things like that can't happen." - Donovan Mitchell

"We came out a step slow and they wanted it more than us at the beginning of the game. We had to react." - Rudy Gobert

"We played downhill, we played attacking. We made mistakes. That's what young teams are going to do. But really proud of our team tonight." - Kings Coach Dave Joerger.

Key Stretch: Down 9-25, up 71-57. 62-32 stretch. (Kings went on an 18-2 run after that.)

Game was over: 1:35 of the 4th Quarter (118-110).

File Under: Harder Than it Should Have Been

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool thread.

Also, if you're ever able to post live, let me know. Maybe we can have one live thread together this year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-1 (October 19, 2018; Warriors vs. Jazz - Box Score - October 19, 2018 - ESPN)

Golden State Warriors 124 Utah Jazz 123

Theme/Trend: Lack of Steady Play, Hot and Cold. 123 ain't enough this time.

Quotes: "It's more physical. They're taking away my easy looks. I just got to be able to hit the tougher shots. That's all it is." - Donovan Mitchell
"My teammates knew this was a big game for me coming back here. I wanted to win and told them I really wanted this one." - Jonas Jerebko
"Jonas was there in the right place at the right time. It was very fitting that he comes back here and gets the game-winning tip. We were very excited for him afterwards." - Kevin Durant
"I remember being in this building about 20 years ago in the Finals and literally, the final score was like the halftime score tonight. That shows you how much the game has changed." - Steve Kerr

Key Stretches: 55-56 to 98-82, one quarters worth. (Could break this down to two runs.) Followed by 25-42.

BOX OUT, RUDY!!! You didn't need the rebound. You didn't need to get fouled and make free throws - you just needed to keep everyone away from the basket.

Mitchell and Burks cannot shoot 8-30!! Joe Ingles is this year's Mitchell! Ok, went too far.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-2

Quotes: "I think that we had spurts where we got stagnant. Just little things. I think that they took us out of what we wanted to do. That can't happen." - Donovan Mitchell
"The substance of this team is the fact that we move the ball and work together to get good shots and we didn't do that tonight. We got some good looks but consistently we didn't move the ball like we need to and make the extra pass. We can't play that way." - Jazz Coach Quin Snyder

Key Stretch: 22-17 to 34-40 (12-23) from end of First to beginning of Second. 66-70 to 70-86 (4-16) in the Fourth. 70-86 to 82-88 (12-2).

Gobert now has 137 career double-doubles, tying Mehmet Okur for fifth place in Jazz history.

MHSL82: I heard on the radio that Gobert was pretty confident that the team with turn it around (Sacramento and Memphis game did not go well). He said that last year right before we went on our big run. He called out a player without naming names for playing for a contract instead of for the team two years ago. So I think he's pretty honest. He will say if there's a problem.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BOX OUT, RUDY!!! You didn't need the rebound.

What does this mean?

He didn't need the rebound, but you want him to box out?

Is this so someone else can get the rebound instead of Rudy himself?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MHSL82: I heard on the radio that Gobert was pretty confident that the team with turn it around (Sacramento and Memphis game did not go well). He said that last year right before we went on our big run. He called out a player without naming names for playing for a contract instead of for the team two years ago. So I think he's pretty honest. He will say if there's a problem.

So you're saying you heard Gobert on the radio after the game, and he sounded confident?

Is there a time when you heard a player after a game, and he didn't sound confident that they would turn it around?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying you heard Gobert on the radio after the game, and he sounded confident?

Is there a time when you heard a player after a game, and he didn't sound confident that they would turn it around?

I have heard people be confident but never be honest about locker room issues. I'm saying that I have heard him be negative before and not just this time mentioned earlier about Gordon Hayward. There have been other times where he has said things publicly in a non-offending way. So I trust him. It doesn't mean that all problems will be fixed because he says so, but it means a little bit more to me.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does this mean?

He didn't need the rebound, but you want him to box out?

Is this so someone else can get the rebound instead of Rudy himself?

He didn't need the rebound. He just needed to keep Jerebko from tipping the ball back in. There was no time for anything beyond a tip in from Jerebko. We were winning so we didn't need the rebound and then be fouled or to the call time out. When Durant missed the shot, we just needed no more shots to be taken.

I don't even know if we had a foul to give. Theoretically, we could have fouled Jerebko trying to box out. Fouling him even if we were in the penalty or had too many fouls under two minutes, would have been better because he could've missed a free-throw. Anything but the tip-in would've been better or the same (making both FTs).

And this is NOT in hindsight. It's common basketball knowledge. He could have missed the tip-in, but the good play is always to box out. Every single time, you don't need the rebound with that time left and the lead. Every single time boxing out would've been better if you don't foul. And sometimes if you foul, it could be no worse than two free throws made. One could say a tip-in and a free-throw, but losing by one or losing by two is the same thing.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yes, if he had fouled him and they made both free throws, I would probably still be upset. I would probably be saying that the tip-in was unlikely. So I'm not trying to be a hypocrite, but I understand that there are situations where we would have lost still. And that part can be addressed with hindsight, but I would likely be complaining about how he foul and not that he boxed out.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard people be confident but never be honest about locker room issues. I'm saying that I have heard him be negative before and not just this time mentioned earlier about Gordon Hayward. There have been other times where he has said things publicly in a non-offending way. So I trust him. It doesn't mean that all problems will be fixed because he says so, but it means a little bit more to me.

What did he say about Hayward a few years ago?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't need the rebound. He just needed to keep Jerebko from tipping the ball back in. There was no time for anything beyond a tip in from Jerebko. We were winning so we didn't need the rebound and then be fouled or to the call time out. When Durant missed the shot, we just needed no more shots to be taken.

I don't even know if we had a foul to give. Theoretically, we could have fouled Jerebko trying to box out. Fouling him even if we were in the penalty or had too many fouls under two minutes, would have been better because he could've missed a free-throw. Anything but the tip-in would've been better or the same (making both FTs).

And this is NOT in hindsight. It's common basketball knowledge. He could have missed the tip-in, but the good play is always to box out. Every single time, you don't need the rebound with that time left and the lead. Every single time boxing out would've been better if you don't foul. And sometimes if you foul, it could be no worse than two free throws made. One could say a tip-in and a free-throw, but losing by one or losing by two is the same thing.

What did Rudy do instead? What was the problem with what he did? I don't know what happened in the game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did Rudy do instead? What was the problem with what he did? I don't know what happened in the game.

Just watch the recap from the game against Golden State. Jerebko tips the ball in and Rudy's too underneath the basket and too much to the left. I don't think anyone was on the left besides our guy. In other words, he wasn't boxing out someone on the other side.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, maybe I should not have singled out Rudy. He's just the tallest and the most capable of boxing someone out, in my opinion. But there were two other Jazzmen there.

And again, I am pretty sure that if he had fouled on the box out, I would be here saying, "we did not even need the rebound why are we fouling on a box out?" So I am a hypocrite. But anything but letting him tip it in would've been the same or better.

I'm not sure if I would listen to someone saying that he fouled or tried to box out because he was worried about the tip in. Just trying to be honest, as I know it isn't consistent.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched the video yet.

But maybe Rudy thought Jerebko still played for the Jazz.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, then, I hope his season ends in futility. I get wanting to win a game. I get wanting to prove everyone wrong, but have something specifically against us, whatever.

I don't hope for injury. I hope for him missing open shots against us. I hope for him to average low points, minutes, and rebounds.

He was one of my favorite players here but I guess you don't really hear about how someone is until after they leave. I will just add him to the list of Enes Kanter, Trey Lyles, Trey Burke's parents (not him!), etc.

I would've accepted beat them instead of "beat their asses." I think he might go overboard with this like Sundiata Gaines did for us after the Cleveland game winner. Again, excitement about beating us is fine. Beating us personally, it's fine. My personality is a little passive and so I hate attitude.

Beat their asses? Was it because we chose against him or did we mistreat him while he was here? If it is the first, plenty of other teams didn't choose him. We waved him early enough for him to find another team. We didn't hold onto him to be a backup to a backup.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's because he wanted to be back, but the Jazz didn't want him. So he wants to prove the Jazz wrong.

Also, it's "waive", not wave. ;)

Since you have so many recent players on your list, maybe the Jazz aren't breaking up with the players as cordially as other organizations? And those players are then feeling resented?

I like how you hope for him to average low stats. Good one.

I'm guessing you also wouldn't approve of what Maurice Taylor did in a revenge game against the Clippers.

++++++++++++++++++

What the Hell Happened to Darius Miles? | By Darius Miles

Then we played against Houston, and Moe Taylor had just left the Clippers to go there in the offseason, and this man is looking like he just escaped from a kidnapping or something. He drops like a 30-clip on us, and after every bucket, he’s running past Donald Sterling’s seat, grabbing his damn nuts.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you have so many recent players on your list, maybe the Jazz aren't breaking up with the players as cordially as other organizations? And those players are then feeling resented?

how-dare-you-sir.jpg