• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2017 Summer League thread

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ingram, Ball and Co. Gear Up for Summer League

170705-ts.jpg

After taking L.A. by storm in his one year at UCLA, Lonzo Ball is now ready to show the city what he can do at the professional level.

The journey starts on Friday, as Ball will make his Lakers debut at the Las Vegas Summer League.

Ball’s mission is simple: “Win the whole thing.”

It will be Ball’s first competitive game in four months, and Lakers fans will surely pack Thomas & Mack Center for an initial look at the First Team All-American turned second-overall draft pick.

Ball’s teammates are just as excited. Brandon Ingram, who was drafted at that same spot the year before, is one of the many Lakers who expect to benefit from Ball’s renowned passing abilities.

“I think he’s gonna create a lot of easy shots for the wing players and, of course, the bigs,” Ingram said.

While all eyes will be on Ball, Ingram will be the one leading the purple and gold in Vegas.

Summer League head coach Jud Buechler said that Ingram has taken a larger, more vocal leadership role this offseason.

“This is his team this summer to be in charge of,” Buechler said.

In terms of his game, Ingram has spent the summer adjusting his jump shot with assistant coach Brian Keefe.

Ingram will play the first three games of Summer League, but perhaps not the whole tournament.

At that point, the Lakers will look one locker over to Ball, who has also put in work since he was drafted last month.

“I’ve just been in the weight room working on my craft every day,” Ball said. “It’s a job, so you’ve got to perfect it.”

Ball’s teammates are interested to see what he can do for their games, including center Ivica Zubac, who plans to let it fly from 3-point range at Summer League.

But the coaching staff is more focused on the other side of the ball.

Buechler praised the defensive aggression of 30th pick Josh Hart and returning Laker David Nwaba.

Still, he feels that the team gave up far too many open layups last year, and thinks that Summer League could help set the tone for a better regular season.

“We were 30th in defense last year,” Buechler said. “That has to change, and that has to change right now.”

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this positive talk from everyone translates into wins on the court. Talk is pretty cheap unless folks can back it up.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this positive talk from everyone translates into wins on the court. Talk is pretty cheap unless folks can back it up.
Yes time for more wins. Tired of losing.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First game is tomorrow at 5:30 vs. the Clips.
On ESPN.

2nd game is Saturday at 5:30 vs the C's on ESPN.

3rd game is on Monday vs the Queens on NBA TV

4th & 5th games TBD after seeding starting Wednesday.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Annual reminder that this is freaking Summer League and has little to essentially zero bearing on a player's future success or failures. Enjoy it for what it is, rookies barnstorming and dudes you likely never heard of trying to get a camp invite.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryant was impressive ( hustling, rebounding, blocking, running the floor on fast breaks ).

Ingram still needs to add some muscle, but he has gotten stronger as he showed in the game.

Hart had some good drives to the basket. Kuzma had some nice shots.

Ball was meh. His highlight was his first play of the game and it was all down hill from there. For a guy that shot over 40% for 3, he sure clanked alot tonight. I liked how he was pushing the ball up the court quickly in the first half, but then went away from that in the 2nd half for some reason.

I know it's only summer league and all, so can't get up or down about any of these players until real games start, but I liked what I saw from Thomas. Not sure the Lakers have room to keep him around. Maybe he ends up being one of the 2 dual players each team is allowed.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo is a bust.

Bryant is winning MVP next year

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo will be fine, he flashed at times throughout the game, and finished strong with a couple of steals to push the game to OT when the Clips could have closed the door in regulation. I'm not sure he got credit for either, the first he stole the ball right before Kuzma took a charge, and the second he knocked the ball away, but it looked like the Clipper lost the ball. Zo's shot was off for sure, I've never seen him miss so many wide open looks, so I'm going to chalk it up to nerves.

Ingram was a beast, and other than some bad turnovers was the player of the game. I have to wonder if the Lakers don't come away with the win if he didn't cramp up. I totally agreed with Magic on pulling the plug, just don't know if it was for just the game or for the rest of the Summer League?

Zupoc looked like his head wasn't in the game (Gotta love the shirt Nance had on :dhd:) but I gotta say, with Lopez coming in and Bryant playing so inspired on both ends of the court, he better get his act together. I think the Lakers will only carry two Centers on the Roster.

Bryant, the kid from Indiana was making the most of his minutes and I was very impressed considering his draft position. If he can continue to play inspired ball, especially on the defensive side of the ball, he will either force the Lakers to carry 3 Centers or make it very hard on the Lakers if Zu doesn't turn it around sooner than later.

Wear played some very good defense. As a Bruins fan I was pleased to see him on the court as a Starter and Closer. I think the Lakers may consider making room for him if he continues to improve because he can shoot the 3 and can play defense. He was on the court every time the Lakers forced a shot clock violation, (3 times and nearly 5 if not for a stupid foul on Kuzma.

Kuzma was impressive, he did collect a couple of ticky tack fouls but overall played well on both sides of the court. Man does he look a lot like Ben Simmons! And yeah, I know they said that on the broadcast but I thought it long before they said it yesterday.

Blue and Hart also flashed at times as well as Caruso. With that however as a starter, I want to see more out of Blue.

On the side:

-Interesting to hear that Nance say he has improved his 3 point shooting, with both Shaggy and Russ out the door, it will be dearly needed even with Lopez coming in.

-Pelinka, saying they are still looking get 1 or 2 more free agents with the $19M in cap space, no doubt they will be one year deals, so they keep the cap space open for next summer when some big name free agents will be there to acquire.

-Did Magic pull the plug on Ingram for the rest of the Summer League? If so, it will open the door for someone else to show their game. I'm thinking this pushes Kuzma into the starting role along with Wear at Forward and will give Dozier more minutes.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way will Travis be on the Lakers roster. Travis s not an NBA player. I love the Bruins too, but you can't take much from summer league Good or Bad. They crowned dunn rookie of year after summer league. Remember Jordan Adams in summer league??

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way will Travis be on the Lakers roster. Travis s not an NBA player. I love the Bruins too, but you can't take much from summer league Good or Bad. They crowned dunn rookie of year after summer league. Remember Jordan Adams in summer league??
I agree that it is unlikely, he will probably play for the Defenders, but if he continues to improve and because he plays good team defense and can shoot the 3, I wont go as far as you and say no way will he make the Lakers roster.

Young dudes who hustle, play defense and can shoot the three, can find a bench spot on someones NBA roster, but he does have to improve.

I was actually surprised to see Wear listed as a Starter, it shows they value him, and want him on the court at games end. I expected to see Kuzma in that role.

What about Ingram?

Do you think he will be playing today tomodach? Or is he done for the remainder of Summer League?

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it is unlikely, he will probably play for the Defenders, but if he continues to improve and because he plays good team defense and can shoot the 3, I wont go as far as you and say no way will he make the Lakers roster.

Young dudes who hustle, play defense and can shoot the three, can find a bench spot on someones NBA roster, but he does have to improve.

I was actually surprised to see Wear listed as a Starter, it shows they value him, and want him on the court at games end. I expected to see Kuzma in that role.

What about Ingram?

Do you think he will be playing today tomodach? Or is he done for the remainder of Summer League?
Summer league is just grab people to fill roster. A lot of starters have been out of the NBA for years. I would not put much into starting for a summer league team.