• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part, I agree with you.

It's not likely that Redick was going to issue a statement that he only joined the Sixers because $23M was too good to pass up..... even if that is 100% accurate.

I'm guessing 60% money, 10% fit, 10% to generate good numbers for next contract, 10% Brett Brown, and 10% Philly.

That's pretty much how I see it (more or less). I'd argue that the "10% to generate good numbers for next contract" and "10% Brett Brown" figures are related. For all I know, he likes Brett Brown because he was promised opportunities/playing time that could help his future contracts. I don't personally see how the Philly situation on the court is better than the Rockets. Even with less playing time, he would get a ton of opportunities to showcase his skills in Houston.

All that being said, this is a great deal for the Sixers and JJ, so I don't really care. There haven't been a lot of players willing to come to Philly recently, so I get the excitement. I figured this or next season would be the one to tip the needle for players to want to come to the Sixers, but maybe they want to build from the ground up and only add role players on short contracts (which is understandable). I see this more as the Sixers needed to spend money and didn't want to make a long-term commitment and it was enough money that JJ couldn't pass it up, but that is speculation as I have no more information than any other casual fan.

And again, I hope the year helps develop Korkmaz. He has a quick and effortless release. I haven't noticed his defense much. Has anyone else? Anything good you've noticed?

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was a given, but maybe I missed something as I know Bolden has played well in the summer league. I liked Bolden predraft and was happy the Sixers selected him. Unless Okafor is moved, then I assumed Bolden would be kept overseas. Delaying Bolden and Pasecniks is better for the staggering of contracts.

Pasecniks and Embiid on the same team could be nightmares for teams. I like Bolden, but figure he's more of a quality bench player.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was a given, but maybe I missed something as I know Bolden has played well in the summer league. I liked Bolden predraft and was happy the Sixers selected him. Unless Okafor is moved, then I assumed Bolden would be kept overseas. Delaying Bolden and Pasecniks is better for the staggering of contracts.

Pasecniks and Embiid on the same team could be nightmares for teams. I like Bolden, but figure he's more of a quality bench player.

I always thought Bolden would be playing overseas -- but there was a growing number of people who wanted him to make the NBA roster.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought Bolden would be playing overseas -- but there was a growing number of people who wanted him to make the NBA roster.
I could be on board with this if Okafor is traded (I'm not an Okafor fan, so I would be fine if that happened). It's still not a bad thing to keep him overseas for a year.

I don't think Bolden has had a bad game yet, which is very nice to see.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie traded to BOS for a lot of assets.

BOS
Irving 25........Embiid 23
Hayward 27....Covington 26
Horford 31......Johnson 30
Brown 20........Simmons 21
Tatum 19........Fultz 19
Rozier 23.........Redick 33
Smart 23.........Stauskas 23
Yabusele 21.....Holmes 23
Nader 23.........TLC 22
Theis 25..........Saric 23
Ojeleye 22.......Korkmaz 20

Quick attempt to match up by talent/age/position.
Should be an interesting 10 years to come....

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than a month away. Can't wait. Just hope to see Joel out there full go game one.

LB seems like it's on its last legs as a source for information. Joined the athletic last week. Some of their past writers are there. Looks good so far for Philly content overall.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than a month away. Can't wait. Just hope to see Joel out there full go game one.

LB seems like it's on its last legs as a source for information. Joined the athletic last week. Some of their past writers are there. Looks good so far for Philly content overall.

It's going to be a fun season. There will be mistakes...but I think this team puts it altogether by the end of the season.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embiid did some half court 5 on 5s. Sounds like a good sign to be ready for game one to me. Hopefully we see him in some preseason as well.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic to see something out of Vegan Okafor as well.

But honestly, his knees have given him problems since he's been here and he said he read dairy causes inflammation, so that's why he cut it out. Time to see if it helps.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope he stays healthy, if not it sounds like they will have some protections against it. Will wait for someone to break it out to see how it all shakes out.

Salary cap protections if he gets hurt.
Initially it was rumored that they would only owe him half if he doesn't play x amount of games in a season.
I like the deal.

Now we have to lock Simmons and Fultz in the gym until they can hit free throws....

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salary cap protections if he gets hurt.
Initially it was rumored that they would only owe him half if he doesn't play x amount of games in a season.
I like the deal.

Now we have to lock Simmons and Fultz in the gym until they can hit free throws....
The protections aren't as large and only cover for previous injuries. Was hoping for more if it didn't work out.

Everyone was so worried about whether or not he could add a 3 to his game, I had no idea he sucked so much at the line. Not a good look for a guy that's offensive game is all about dishing and getting to the hoop at the moment.