• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 Champions League

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahahaha, I’m with you. But I can see Roma pulling this out. They need to beat Liverpool by the same score they beat Barca. An Liverpool’s defense is much worse then Barca’s. I can see it happening.

I don't think it is going to happen just because I don't think Liverpool can get shutout. Their attack is too lethal. They are going to get a road goal or two here. Barca getting shutout was the shocking part. The Chamberlain injury helps Roma though. It is shame that injury as his WC is over too. Looks like for Germany it is going to be a battle to get Boetang healthy for the WC. About 5 to 6 weeks recovery for him. Germany need him.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I like Ribery a lot, he's been a great player, and is a character (the good kind), but it's time for him to hang it up. Robben as well, he has flashes of greatness, but too inconsistent nowadays, especially against great teams like RM.

I'll be curious to see where Vidal ends up, my guess is back to Serie A, or maybe to the EPL depending on the team/manager.

Vidal I heard Manchester United at one point but things have quieted down. You know a midfielder is leaving with Goretzka coming in. Ribbery I thought he played pretty well against Real, but he just can finish. He still marvels at breaking down a defender, but he is not a full time player now. I still think they sign him for one more year to back up Coman. I am fine with that. The other side is the problem. Robben has really dropped off this season. He is not get that lethal left foot shot anymore and injury prone. Badly need a younger talented right winger next season. I also heard Bale has an interest in Bayern. What is up with Bale at Real?

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vidal I heard Manchester United at one point but things have quieted down. You know a midfielder is leaving with Goretzka coming in. Ribbery I thought he played pretty well against Real, but he just can finish. He still marvels at breaking down a defender, but he is not a full time player now. I still think they sign him for one more year to back up Coman. I am fine with that. The other side is the problem. Robben has really dropped off this season. He is not get that lethal left foot shot anymore and injury prone. Badly need a younger talented right winger next season. I also heard Bale has an interest in Bayern. What is up with Bale at Real?

You know RM, no respect for players and what they have done. Seems like they don't want him anymore, and the feeling seems mutual. Hears a quote from him recently, paraphrasing here, when asked about a move to ManU, he said "i can't see myself and Manchester United", when asked about interest from Bayern, he said "it's an honor" or something along those lines.

I could see Vidal going to Arsenal, depending on who the new manager is. They could definitely use some steel in the midfield.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know RM, no respect for players and what they have done. Seems like they don't want him anymore, and the feeling seems mutual. Hears a quote from him recently, paraphrasing here, when asked about a move to ManU, he said "i can't see myself and Manchester United", when asked about interest from Bayern, he said "it's an honor" or something along those lines.

I could see Vidal going to Arsenal, depending on who the new manager is. They could definitely use some steel in the midfield.

Bale doesn't want to deal with Mourinho lol. Pogba must have texted him....

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Liverpool manages to win the Champions League this year, does winning CL get them an auto spot for next year's CL? If the answer to that question is yes, how does that affect the PL? Does Chelsea (current 5th place side) get a spot in CL, or are they Europa-bound?

rsw626

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Liverpool manages to win the Champions League this year, does winning CL get them an auto spot for next year's CL? If the answer to that question is yes, how does that affect the PL? Does Chelsea (current 5th place side) get a spot in CL, or are they Europa-bound?
Yes, if Liverpool win the CL, they will get in as Champion. No, Chelsea would not get a spot. The Champions League spots for the EPL are pretty much set, Man City, ManU, Liverpool (regardless if they win it or not) and Spurs. As of right now, Chelsea and Arsenal are Europa bound. However, IF Arsenal can pull their head out of their ass and win Europa, they would also be in the CL next season.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, if Liverpool win the CL, they will get in as Champion. No, Chelsea would not get a spot. The Champions League spots for the EPL are pretty much set, Man City, ManU, Liverpool (regardless if they win it or not) and Spurs. As of right now, Chelsea and Arsenal are Europa bound. However, IF Arsenal can pull their head out of their ass and win Europa, they would also be in the CL next season.

The only way the top 4 in EPL don't make it to Champions League next year is if teams outside the top 4 get to the Champs League final and one wins Europa. For that to happen, Chelsea and Spurs would have to pass Liverpool while Arsenal wins Europa. In that scenario, the 4th seed in EPL would end up in Europa instead of Champs League.

So, Chelsea is boned either way unless they pass both Spurs and Liverpool.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way the top 4 in EPL don't make it to Champions League next year is if teams outside the top 4 get to the Champs League final and one wins Europa. For that to happen, Chelsea and Spurs would have to pass Liverpool while Arsenal wins Europa. In that scenario, the 4th seed in EPL would end up in Europa instead of Champs League.

So, Chelsea is boned either way unless they pass both Spurs and Liverpool.

The reason for my question was Liverpool's in the top-4 in EPL so them winning the CL doesn't affect them. I was wondering if them winning got Chelsea and by extension the EPL a 5th CL spot. Going by the answers, that's not going to happen.

rsw626

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason for my question was Liverpool's in the top-4 in EPL so them winning the CL doesn't affect them. I was wondering if them winning got Chelsea and by extension the EPL a 5th CL spot. Going by the answers, that's not going to happen.
UEFA changed the rules after Liverpool won in 2005. That season the EPL had 5 teams in the CL, top 4 (ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Everton I think), Liverpool finished like 6th or 7th but were in because they were returning Champions. Previously one league could only have a max of 4, so they changed it so they could have 5. If for instance, two teams finished out of the top 4, but one won the UCL and one won Europa, the 4th spot team would drop to Europa.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the EPL can get a 5th champions league slot. Man U made #5 this year when they won Europa last year.

They cannot get a 6th slot though, I don't think. So, in the rare event that the CL and Europa winners are both english clubs that finish outside the top 4 in the league, the 4th seed would get bumped out.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction.

Bayern wins 2-1 but loses on pk's.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting on my tinfoil hat: Could the fact that Lewy is playing this bad be a subtle indicator to RM that he's ready to join them? Assuming of course Bayern lets him go.

Rumors he has been apathetic in practice. Could be true why he is playing bad. Pressure to perform for his new team. But he was bad against Sevilla too. Only Bayern can decide if he leaves.

rsw626

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting on my tinfoil hat: Could the fact that Lewy is playing this bad be a subtle indicator to RM that he's ready to join them? Assuming of course Bayern lets him go.

Doubtful since it's kind of been a pattern of not stepping up in big games with him over several seasons.

My prediction.

Bayern wins 2-1 but loses on pk's.

I can see that, though if Neuer were playing then Bayern would have the advantage, but also if he were playing they probably wouldn't be down 2-1 now either.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubtful since it's kind of been a pattern of not stepping up in big games with him over several seasons.

I can see that, though if Neuer were playing then Bayern would have the advantage, but also if he were playing they probably wouldn't be down 2-1 now either.

Neuer would have saved the Marcelo goal for sure. The second goal I don't he would have saved that one.