• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 1 - Hawks vs Blues

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's hoping they dial it up a notch.

Tracy Myers on Twitter reported that there's a good chance that Anisimov is back for game 1. The Tribune said he "sat out" the season finale.
Ditto for Shaw.
Myers reports that Hossa is a little more iffy, but according to the Tribune, Hossa should be good to go.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as usual, all they are looking for is a split in St Louis to get this cup run started. Really not playing well, neither goalie is ready for the playoffs, Crow did not look too good in columbus. First game back, I wish he would just stay home and not try to handle the puck, yeah, but I have a feeling they will be peppering him in practice to get him ready.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The terrible play of the Hawks inspired me to look at our regular season finishes in the Cup championship seasons:

2010 - (1st) Tho they won 6 of their last 7 games, just prior they had lost 8 of 11 games.
2013 - (1st) Lost 3 of their last 5 games.
2015 - (3rd) Lost their last 4 games. And 7 of their last 12.

2016 - (3rd) Lost 15 of their last 26 including the last 2 games.

========:hockeysmile:================:hockeysmile:========​

Against the Blues this season, the Hawks went 2-0-3. So while they head into this series with a losing record, it is interesting that all 3 losses came in OT.

One thing that concerns me is the loss of Saad and Sharp. Anisimov has pretty much filled the Saad's void (even down to his total points). And you could make the argument that Panarin has filled in for the loss of Sharpie. But Saad and Sharp have playoff experience.

But I'm more worried about the "support" players. Teams will be keying on Kane, Toews and Hossa. In past playoffs, someone always seemed to step up while our "stars" were being neutralized. Whether it was Bickell, Byfuglien, Bolland, Shaw, or the hustle of Stalberg and Frolik on penality kills.

Seems like Weise, Panik, and Fleischmann might be the guys most poised to fill that role. But someone definitely needs to "step it up."

Go Hawks!

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TKOSpikes @Barilko
Don't be strangers. Interested to hear your take on the preview/series.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TKOSpikes @Barilko
Don't be strangers. Interested to hear your take on the preview/series.
Well without to deep an analogy
ill say that the Blues who always seem to find away to bow out probably will do so again
i expect the series to go deep (as would most) and as you said i also believe the Hawks will need some one to step up for sure

Joe that guy may very well be Weise
he is a solid playoff performer (always stepped up for the Habs) and if you do win i figure he scores at least 2 biggies...

ill be cheering for Weisy and of course Craw who in his younger days lived about 10 minutes away from me

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blackhawks sweep.

...I'll be honest though, The Beaners turned me off this year after the shit show off season. Haven't watched much this season.

:)

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 - (3rd) Lost 15 of their last 26 including the last 2 games.

========:hockeysmile:================:hockeysmile:========​

But I'm more worried about the "support" players.

Go Hawks!

Ditto. This team has won 3 times in part because they've gotten scoring from the bottom 2 lines. We haven't seen that much this season.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow tough game, shades of nick leddy kicking in the goal in game 7 and crawford moving for the shot instead of following the puck with his paddle. I guess the hawks need to win in the first 60 to beat this team this year.

Terasanko with alot of deer in headlights moves, afraid to shoot.

I think Panarin would have had that goal when Hossa stole that pass on the forecheck but Panarin dropped the puck back instead of pulling the trigger while Elliot was moving.

Lose and learn I hope. 7:00 start friday.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shades of nick leddy kicking in the goal in game 7
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong goal, but the "Nick Leddy Game 7 goal" that comes to my mind is the shot that deflected off his shoulder to send the Kings to the Cup Final.

All things considered, I thought the game was encouraging. Away game with the Blues fans into it on opening night. No Duncan Keith. And yet we held the Blues scoreless through 60 minutes. And even the GWG was a "dirty" goal.

As AI said, "lose and learn I hope." I say we win game 2.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks definitely deserved to win the game, but shit happens. I figure Svedberg sits with Keith returning, and I wouldn't mind if Weise or Panik bump Mashinter to the press box for Game 2.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks definitely deserved to win the game, but shit happens. I figure Svedberg sits with Keith returning, and I wouldn't mind if Weise or Panik bump Mashinter to the press box for Game 2.

Rosival did come back after taking that elbow to the chin, that these ex hockey players were calling good hockey when the guy lifted one skate off the ice to get his elbow around Rosies chin.

Svedberg made some nice plays, I hope they dont hardheadedly go with Rosie if he is not 100%. Sure nobody expects the guys to be 100% in the later rounds, but he may need to build back up.

I am personally sick of watching both Hammer and TVR trying to clear pucks on their backhands and still think that the three pairs should each contain one of SEabs, Hammer and Keith

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. What a wacky game 2.
Tarasenko is good. And a thorn in the Hawks' side.

Not sure what Panik said or did? But he had all 5 Blues players going after him at the end of the 2nd period! Brouwer seemed to be playing overly aggressive too. Lots of pushing and shoving after the whistles from most of the Blues players. Usually teams that goon it up like that end up losing.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. What a wacky game 2.
Tarasenko is good. And a thorn in the Hawks' side.

Not sure what Panik said or did? But he had all 5 Blues players going after him at the end of the 2nd period! Brouwer seemed to be playing overly aggressive too. Lots of pushing and shoving after the whistles from most of the Blues players. Usually teams that goon it up like that end up losing.

I was estatic Panik was getting in all their faces. Man, has Troy Brouwer got some sour grapes from being traded still? Prick was cross checking whoever was close to the net each whistle. I wish someone would put Reeves on his ass, or at minimum, take out Tarasenko.

Weebles wobble head coach whining about refs, whining that they are getting cheated by the league, refs, fans, hockey pucks, anyone who can take some blame for the Blues wanting to beat the shit out of anyone close instead of focusing on hockey.

No question the skate was not dragged and their play was offsides, no question Shaw did not interfere with Elliot. Maybe they complained that the puck popped out of the blue paint for a tenth of a second before it was swatted in, but any contact from Shaw was another blues play crosschecking him into Elliot as usual. Hope they actually watch the film and see the game was officiated right, even though that offsides should have whistled the play dead before they even scored the goal.

I would love to see Shaw centering Panik and Manshinter or Fleishman and just go out and get the puck in the zone and tee off.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 3 was a tough one. Man, did the Hawks pepper Elliott.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, hate to say it, but the blues really deserved that game, or should I say Elliot deserved that game. I guess we will get Ott holding our finesse guys tomorrow too, then he will be back on the bench in St Louis.

That ladd post to post shot was amazing. Dont think I ever say that before.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must win tonight, can't go back to St Louis down 3-1

By the way, I moved to St Louis last summer, please beat these cock suckers.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just waiting for Toews and/or Kane to break lose and tally a couple goals.

Toews, Kane, Ladd, Hossa are goalless. Ladd and Hossa are pointless and are both -2

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, hate to say it, but the blues really deserved that game, or should I say Elliot deserved that game. I guess we will get Ott holding our finesse guys tomorrow too, then he will be back on the bench in St Louis.
Hmmm. Maybe Elliott deserved the win, but the Hawks out played the Blues most of the 60 minutes.
As for Ott. He's one of those guys I'd love to have on my team. But you hate him otherwise. Maybe not Raffi Torres kind of hate.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Runblad getting the call tonight for Svedberg.

four righties, two lefties back on d, and I bet Hammer still will be playing the right side, so both TVR and Runblad will be playing their off side tonight.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, no runblad. guess that was some reporter trying to stir it up.

tough game. Shaw was playing out if his mind then went out of his mind with that bonehead penalty. How does Crawford leave the net open to fight in the corner and why are no D Men doing that for him?
Hossa to a line with Krueger centering? Then Hossa and Teuvo with Krueger. I can see trying to get more firepower to the bottom 6 but Krueger is not the offensive center. It also left the fourth line on the bench.

Well at least it was an official war room review for the empty net offsides this time so Hitchweeble cant cry about that one, but he did complain about the hawks getting so many time outs that last minute. Maybe he should have gathered his troops instead?

Oh well, I think they said Q coached teams was something like 28-7 in games 5 and 6, we know they have it in them, but all that loose change that Elliot is leaving with really juicy rebounds are not being collected.