• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 re-draft

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak's 3 years: Dallas was 30th, 29th and 21st in passing attempts as a team. That is reflective of the Offense they run.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak's 3 years: Dallas was 30th, 29th and 21st in passing attempts as a team. That is reflective of the Offense they run.
I get that, but his pass attempts have increased by 30+ each year, so you'd think the next logical progression with a WR like Cooper and the other pieces they've added would be to allow him to further expand his passing game, no?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that, but his pass attempts have increased by 30+ each year, so you'd think the next logical progression with a WR like Cooper and the other pieces they've added would be to allow him to further expand his passing game, no?
Not only do I personally think it is logical I've said it many times and it began the last half of last year and depending on how Kellen Moore does as OC it should take a big jump forward this year as long as the team is somewhat healthy

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only do I personally think it is logical I've said it many times and it began the last half of last year and depending on how Kellen Moore does as OC it should take a big jump forward this year as long as the team is somewhat healthy
What're the thoughts in Dallas on Moore as the OC? Dude moved up fast but has always come off as being a bright QB mind.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What're the thoughts in Dallas on Moore as the OC? Dude moved up fast but has always come off as being a bright QB mind.
The general feeling was it was too rushed and a horrible move at first. Part of the problem with the whole situation is that it is Garrett's Offense and always has been whether it was him, Callahan or Linehan calling plays. So the OC is handicapped by running Garrett's Offense and with Garrett in the final year of his deal there wasn't much chance of bringing in someone to start anew. The other problem was Moore seemed to bomb out last year as a QB coach. He just didn't seem to have the technical experience to do the job from a mechanical aspect and it didn't help Dak (if anything his footwork got worse) and it probably wasn't fair to Moore since he doesn't have that experience.

But, that has changed. While Moore wasn't qualified to be a QB guru he seems to fit more the OC skill set. His intelligence has never been questioned and he has been a "coach on the field" type since he has been here - just not from a mechanics standpoint. There are stories about how he showed up at Boise with a list of his own plays and changed plays around to be more creative and explosive. What Dallas fans and critics wanted most was creativity and the Offense was predictable and team after team said so after they played us. Word is the patterns are not changing, but the pre-snap look will be completely different. Every Cowboy fan knew half the time what the plays were before the ball was snapped. They seldom put a WR in motion and when they did at least 50% of the time it was to sit down off the tackle or TE and block for a run. The best thing you can do for a young QB learning to read NFL defenses or really any QB is putting WRs in motion. It's simple, it causes the defense to react and immediately gives him pre-snap clues as to what the defense is going to do. Oftentimes it's as simple as if the CB follows it's man and if he doesn't it's zone, but there is so much more you can learn just from putting guys in motion and you also can use the different motions to make the same plays look different and harder to scout. Moore has already done a lot of this in the practices they have had. He has disguised the plays so that even though they are running mostly the same plays the idea is the defense won't be able to sit on them.

The biggest thing for Dak may end up being Kitna. The day he walked through the door he stressed nothing but footwork and mechanics and helping Dak to read defenses and go through his progressions. When Dak was off from an accuracy perspective it was usually his footwork, pressure or many times both. Kitna has made this the priority and hopefully it will show up on the field. The last thing that should change is the speed on the field. No longer will the Cowboys WRs all be running in sand. Witten, Dez and T Williams was probably the slowest starting trio in recent history. They have a lot of speed on the roster now and this leads to the next point which is Moore switching from the endless curls to more downfield patterns to stretch the field. This too he has already done and talked about in practices. We should find out this year if there is any hope for Garrett's Offense. If not he is likely gone and we will likely let Moore implement a new Offense or find someone else to do so.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The general feeling was it was too rushed and a horrible move at first. Part of the problem with the whole situation is that it is Garrett's Offense and always has been whether it was him, Callahan or Linehan calling plays. So the OC is handicapped by running Garrett's Offense and with Garrett in the final year of his deal there wasn't much chance of bringing in someone to start anew. The other problem was Moore seemed to bomb out last year as a QB coach. He just didn't seem to have the technical experience to do the job from a mechanical aspect and it didn't help Dak (if anything his footwork got worse) and it probably wasn't fair to Moore since he doesn't have that experience.

But, that has changed. While Moore wasn't qualified to be a QB guru he seems to fit more the OC skill set. His intelligence has never been questioned and he has been a "coach on the field" type since he has been here - just not from a mechanics standpoint. There are stories about how he showed up at Boise with a list of his own plays and changed plays around to be more creative and explosive. What Dallas fans and critics wanted most was creativity and the Offense was predictable and team after team said so after they played us. Word is the patterns are not changing, but the pre-snap look will be completely different. Every Cowboy fan knew half the time what the plays were before the ball was snapped. They seldom put a WR in motion and when they did at least 50% of the time it was to sit down off the tackle or TE and block for a run. The best thing you can do for a young QB learning to read NFL defenses or really any QB is putting WRs in motion. It's simple, it causes the defense to react and immediately gives him pre-snap clues as to what the defense is going to do. Oftentimes it's as simple as if the CB follows it's man and if he doesn't it's zone, but there is so much more you can learn just from putting guys in motion and you also can use the different motions to make the same plays look different and harder to scout. Moore has already done a lot of this in the practices they have had. He has disguised the plays so that even though they are running mostly the same plays the idea is the defense won't be able to sit on them.

The biggest thing for Dak may end up being Kitna. The day he walked through the door he stressed nothing but footwork and mechanics and helping Dak to read defenses and go through his progressions. When Dak was off from an accuracy perspective it was usually his footwork, pressure or many times both. Kitna has made this the priority and hopefully it will show up on the field. The last thing that should change is the speed on the field. No longer will the Cowboys WRs all be running in sand. Witten, Dez and T Williams was probably the slowest starting trio in recent history. They have a lot of speed on the roster now and this leads to the next point which is Moore switching from the endless curls to more downfield patterns to stretch the field. This too he has already done and talked about in practices. We should find out this year if there is any hope for Garrett's Offense. If not he is likely gone and we will likely let Moore implement a new Offense or find someone else to do so.
Yeah I can remember before Moore was even drafted, he was talked about as that kind of guy who will end up being a better coach than player. Basically whoever drafted him that year was essentially drafting a future coach. He's definitely a smart guy, and I think he's going to have a bright future. Could even be the heir apparent to Garrett depending on how things go. I'm clearly aware of how quickly coaches can climb the ladder if the talent and rapport is there.

Kitna was an awesome addition. I think he's going to be a HC at some point, as well. I'll give it to Garrett, he put together a hell of a staff.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah man. You guys can't have it both ways. If I'm getting called out for not recognizing "sarcasm" (even thought the guy later said it was actually true), so will you.
So tell me. Did you not defend your mediocre claim about Dak?

This is a simple yes or no answer.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tell me. Did you not defend your mediocre claim about Dak?

This is a simple yes or no answer.
Sure did. Compared to the rest of the league, his numbers last year were mediocre by the definition of the word:

Pass attempts: 13th
Yards: 15th
Comp%: 10th
YPA: 19th
TD: 16th
QB Rating: 14th
QBR: 17th
DVOA: 24th

Personally, I think he is a good QB. If you pressed me, I'd say he hasn't reached his potential, and he's clearly out-played his draft position. That said, 2019 is huge because he's young, but he has 3 years under his belt. He has Zeke ready to go and not facing some BS suspension, he has a healthier OL, he has a bondfide #1 WR with decent depth behind him, and he even has Jason Witten back who at worst should be a solid leader alongside him. Sounds like you guys have upgraded at OC and brought in a rock solid QB coach in Jon Kitna. All the pieces are there for him to break out, it's just a matter of if he will.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure did. Compared to the rest of the league, his numbers last year were mediocre by the definition of the word:

Pass attempts: 13th
Yards: 15th
Comp%: 10th
YPA: 19th
TD: 16th
QB Rating: 14th
QBR: 17th
DVOA: 24th

Personally, I think he is a good QB. If you pressed me, I'd say he hasn't reached his potential, and he's clearly out-played his draft position. That said, 2019 is huge because he's young, but he has 3 years under his belt. He has Zeke ready to go and not facing some BS suspension, he has a healthier OL, he has a bondfide #1 WR with decent depth behind him, and he even has Jason Witten back who at worst should be a solid leader alongside him. Sounds like you guys have upgraded at OC and brought in a rock solid QB coach in Jon Kitna. All the pieces are there for him to break out, it's just a matter of if he will.

From Websters.

the quality of something that is not very good : the quality or state of beingmediocre. : a person who does not have the special ability to do something well. See the full definitionfor mediocrity in the English Language Learners Dictionary. More from Merriam-Webster on mediocrity.

That does not fit Dak. Funny thing is Daks rookie numbers were better than Mayfields, and you claim the guy with better numbers is mediocre and your guy is the future face of the NFL.
You van take your Non Biased claim and shove it up your ass, all in your ass.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Websters.

the quality of something that is not very good : the quality or state of beingmediocre. : a person who does not have the special ability to do something well. See the full definitionfor mediocrity in the English Language Learners Dictionary. More from Merriam-Webster on mediocrity.

That does not fit Dak. Funny thing is Daks rookie numbers were better than Mayfields, and you claim the guy with better numbers is mediocre and your guy is the future face of the NFL.
You van take your Non Biased claim and shove it up your ass, all in your ass.
Fine. His numbers were average. Does that make you happier?

I'd rather have Mayfield long-term than Dak, no question. I'd be far from the only person to say that.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="Across The Field, post: 13412663, member: 9819"]Was there a point?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but if you wear a hat nobody will notice.....