• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Football season

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really enough traffic here anymore to do weekly game threads, might as well just do one big thread.

That Liberty game was a nice tune up. Defense looked great and Stroman looks like he's made a considerable leap as a corner. Evans looked ok at times at QB and just so so at other times. He definitely needs to work on his accuracy. We still put up big numbers in the passing game but I think its fair to say we probably won't have any more opponents dumb enough to play one on one vs Ford all game. You can't put too much stock into the game since it was Liberty, but all in all, there looks to be a solid foundation in place for this team.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 1 was okay. We were supposed to win comfortably and we did, even though there were some moments in the first half where I shook my head thinking, "the more they hang around, you never know." The turnovers need to get cut down and I'd like to see some good 10+ yard runs outside of a scramble. Evans looked about what I'd expect for making his first big start. Some good things and some inexperience that led to points taken off the board or added for Liberty.

Tennessee is up next and while they didn't look like a top 10 team against Appy St. they'll probably come out fired up and could give our offense some challenges. I actually like our defense's chances on keeping the score down, but we'll need to sustain drives with points to keep the D fresh. I'm interested to see how Fuente's offense comes along this year to hopefully add the missing half of the game that's been gone for a while. He told Foster that his defense shouldn't have to win the games any more as he'll be able to put points on the board, so let's see how it shakes out.

Plan to have some Tennessee whiskey and some Virginia moonshine next week, and I just happened to move next door to a big UT fan. He is outnumbered with the rest of the street flying maroon and orange.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We certainly won't be able to turn the ball over 4 times and expect to win the game. The first half was just ugly until the back to back touchdowns to end the half. Isiah Ford is a beast at football. Hopefully when other teams try to bracket him, it will open up the field for everyone else.

Our inside run game wasn't great but we did get some good runs off the jet sweep and WR screen game. I am a little bit worried about Hodges blocking on the outside. We really need the WR blocking well so we can stretch the field horizontally in the screen and jet sweep. Hodges straight up wiffed a few blocks, but Ford did a really good job on most of his blocks.

I've seen a lot complaints about having Rogers starting over Mcmillian. First off, Mcmillian got the most carries. I would expect him to get a bigger percentage when not playing an FCS opponent. Second, the run game is more about getting the ball into multiple hands to stretch the field horizontally and not allow the defense to key off one guy. Rogers has more flexibility as a blocker and catcher and can be moved anywhere on the field.

OL looked a lot better with Wyatt than with Petit in the run game. We'll see what happens vs. Tennessee.

Last edited:

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that was just embarrassing. You can't put the ball on the turf 5 times and hope to win football games. Otherwise, we played an ok game.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I mentioned in the game thread on the CFB board, those turnovers, especially where and when they happened were terrible. Then the drive killing penalties (block below the waist, personal fouls, unsportsmanlike , etc) and the punt that hit a UT player, but happened to be recovered by them inside our redzone. Tennessee took advantage as a good team should.

My take away is that our offense has potential to move the ball and also be explosive, but having more fumbles lost in 2 games versus all of last year is a death knell and must be cut down. The fumbles on special teams are more attributed to the bad punts by our opponents, but the bad timing on the jet sweep and not holding onto the ball while fighting for yards can be corrected.

I think the defense did a good job for what they were put into position with, but I know Foster isn't happy.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teller needs to stay on the damn field. Or at the very least, shuffle the line around to where Petit doesn't play at all.

If we would have held onto the ball, we could have at least beat the point spread against Tenn. This week and last, almost every one of those fumbles is preventable.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some observations from the Bristol experience:

I. The Bristol venue was overall blast with things to do from Wed-Sat I was a little worried that getting down there on Thursday would make it tough for tailgating and having stuff to do, but there was always something to do or interact with the BMS staff was so I pleasantly surprised.
II. College Game day is a huge machine that needs to take better care of its fans
A) I got to Game Day around 6:30am like some of the other hardcore fans that wanted to be on Game Day at the time. While the various camera crew and some weather guy for Good Morning America interacted with the crowd, the fact that none of the actual game Day crew came out to meet any of the fans was a little crappy imo. The fact that they already come out with Whitfield and Reece while airing among the fans there proves this is more than doable.
B) I saw two people literally faint from the heat (my wife also had to leave an hour in) and the fact that they provided no water or drinks for the 80-100 fans in the gated area (that are pretty much locked in) was crazy to me. The day before, Coke & College Game Day staff were pimping out Coke / Water products and giving them out free to people walking by most of the day on Friday. But the fact that they can't provide those to people in 100 degree weather for Game Day was pretty crappy. I mean they already had police on the fringe of the TV screen in case of mishaps and they have a giant screen protecting the crew from any objects thrown.
III. Bristol game could have been run a bit better at times but was overall a pretty good experience
A) The camera action on the colossus jumbo screen was horrible. They panned to fans and people non stop and missed capturing what was going on the field about 30% of the time. This was key to people because some of the views ppl had made it hard to see. even when they were following the game on the screen, the angles were bad and it was hard to understand what was happening.
B) Getting to seats were hard for some people I heard. I did not have an issue because the locals I ran into said that for any event there you want to get to your seats about 1.5 hours ahead of time. So I got there early with the wife and friends and just drank. I think if they communicated these to fans (get to your seats earlier), less ppl would have had issues.
C) Viewing the game from my seats provided to be no issue. I had decent seats though so I really and had no complaints. I was about 20 rows from the bottom bleacher.
D) The game was a glorified home game for Tennessee and was treated as such with the various in game events. The TN band, ppl winning things of significance on the jumbo tron, the DJ, the singer for the half time show were all Vol - related ppl. VT definitely got the shaft on things being fair.
E) Food / Alcohol was very reasonable and I had no issues with lines - both in the game and with the various events. They even had places were you could re-fill liquor drinks for a reduced price with the same cup.
F) Tennessee fans were awesome to tailgate and interact with - why we have not done things like this sooner is beyond me. They are the perfect program to have a rivalry with on a continual basis IMO.
G) Getting to Bristol and leaving was not that bad. Maybe it was dumb luck but I had no issues.

Last edited:

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teller needs to stay on the damn field. Or at the very least, shuffle the line around to where Petit doesn't play at all.

If we would have held onto the ball, we could have at least beat the point spread against Tenn. This week and last, almost every one of those fumbles is preventable.
I think Teller started but then got a few blocking below the waist 15 yard penalties. Fuenter visually reacted on the last and Teller ended up glued to the bench.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Teller started but then got a few blocking below the waist 15 yard penalties. Fuenter visually reacted on the last and Teller ended up glued to the bench.

Yeah, he got benched. Whatever the issue is between those two, they need to work it out asap. The offense is dramatically better with Teller in

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good old fashioned BC beatdown. That was a sight for sore eyes. That was definitely a step in the positive direction considering we've struggled to even put away lesser teams the last handful of years.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the fact that Fuente is still not happy with the team at times with decision making, etc. despite a 49-0 beatdown. I hope the team plays with a chip on their shoulder like this all year.

The ejection on Gaines was also bs.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's get the other chip off our shoulder Saturday with a win versus ECU.

I certainly liked the score this past weekend and was commenting to the others watching the game with me that I was surprised we actually dominated, knowing that it had been a long time since I felt comfortable with ANY game. Here's hoping that there will be plenty of opportunities for our 2nd string to get some playing time outside of injuries or blowouts in the other team's favor.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woot woot, another hokies blowout! All board the hype train! Choo choo!

The Jerod Evans TD run was just awesome. I think he juked out like half the ECU defense.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, back to back dominate games.....been a long time since we could say that. They can be a very dangerous team in conference with a good shot at the Coastal if we limit turnovers......still a lot of football to go though.

I think I counted 10 tackles that Evans broke/made miss on that run. Granted, I'm a little drunk, so I may have been seeing double when I was counting.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, back to back dominate games.....been a long time since we could say that. They can be a very dangerous team in conference with a good shot at the Coastal if we limit turnovers......still a lot of football to go though.

I think I counted 10 tackles that Evans broke/made miss on that run. Granted, I'm a little drunk, so I may have been seeing double when I was counting.
I decided to try and count.
1- DE blows by Nijman and Jerod stiff arms him.
#7 was close but then gets destroyed by Teller. I don't think I will count this one.
2- #6 never touches Evans but got juked badly.
3- can't see the number but a guy comes off of Phillips block and whiffs.
4- #1 misses
5- some other guy misses
6- #7 misses

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell of a win. We were in peak Beamerball form; punt return TD (in Beamer's number!!!), blocked FG, blocked punt, and points were scored in all 3 phases of the game. Gotta keep that kind of play up heading into the meat of the schedule now. BC and ECU were lesser opponents (even though we've struggled with them in the past). We'll know where we stand when we stack up with UNC in 2 weeks

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I happened upon this on the Disney site today and figured I would share. It's sheds a little more light behind those wearing the #25 jersey for each game.

I loved reading this...
"Last week, Tim Settle said he and Mihota spent a lot of time studying the opposing kicker and working on their speed off the snap. The film revealed an opportunity to block a kick."

Virginia Tech keeps 'Beamer Ball' alive by awarding coach's old No. 25 weekly

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was an impressive win today over UNC is some very bad conditions. Putting up 34 points in that mess is amazing and even more amazing was the way Foster's crew just woodsheded the Heels. Hopefully, Ford and Settle's injuries aren't major but outside of that, you couldn't ask for a better game given the conditions

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuente said Ford could have played if there was a need, so I don't see it lingering too much. Settle looked like he hyperextended his knee, but considering he stayed on the sideline, I bet he'll be day-to-day and shouldn't miss too much. An MRI will be done I'm sure to make sure there wasn't any damage, but from him sticking around on the sidelines, I doubt there was.

Another complete effort from all sides from the very beginning. I like the way Fuente has them prepared from the start. Even if ideal conditions, I still think we'd win by double digits. That's definitely a big change in confidence that this team can get the job done. Previous years had me sweating the 'easy' games.

The defense is playing great and I think a or has to do with the offense able to move the ball and put up points. Takes some of the pressure off and allows for a little more rest on the sidelines rather than the 3 and outs we got used to over the years.

Turnovers are our biggest issue and I've seen timing issues with the snap on the jet sweep lead to at least 4 fumbles this year thus far. But, I think if we can hold onto the ball, we can move the ball on most anyone.

It's been a long time since we've seen this type of play from all facets and has me enthusiastic about the chance for an ACC championship and the future of the program. Beamer left a great legacy and tradition behind, but Fuente, thus far, seems like he could take it back to the elite level. Here's hoping anyway.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuente said Ford could have played if there was a need, so I don't see it lingering too much. Settle looked like he hyperextended his knee, but considering he stayed on the sideline, I bet he'll be day-to-day and shouldn't miss too much. An MRI will be done I'm sure to make sure there wasn't any damage, but from him sticking around on the sidelines, I doubt there was.

Another complete effort from all sides from the very beginning. I like the way Fuente has them prepared from the start. Even if ideal conditions, I still think we'd win by double digits. That's definitely a big change in confidence that this team can get the job done. Previous years had me sweating the 'easy' games.

The defense is playing great and I think a or has to do with the offense able to move the ball and put up points. Takes some of the pressure off and allows for a little more rest on the sidelines rather than the 3 and outs we got used to over the years.

Turnovers are our biggest issue and I've seen timing issues with the snap on the jet sweep lead to at least 4 fumbles this year thus far. But, I think if we can hold onto the ball, we can move the ball on most anyone.

It's been a long time since we've seen this type of play from all facets and has me enthusiastic about the chance for an ACC championship and the future of the program. Beamer left a great legacy and tradition behind, but Fuente, thus far, seems like he could take it back to the elite level. Here's hoping anyway.

I think we've corrected the fumble issues. I chalk up all the stuff from the UNC game to the weather entirely. Prior to that game though, we'd definitely had done a better job securing the ball. I think our biggest weakness is still the interior run game though. If we play a team that can lock up Ford and the other receivers (tough task since Ford is a monster), I'm still not certain we can run the ball effectively. As big as Evans is, I'm not comfortable using him as a ram. It was fine given the circumstances for UNC, but hopefully the backs can run better as we get into tougher ACC competition coming up with Miami and Pitt.

And the defense has been great. You're absolutely right that it helps we can get those guys a breather on the sideline now that we have an offense. I'm also happy to see Foster has gone back to his old ways of using multiple fronts instead of the conservative bear formations he's used the last couple of years.

I'm trying my best to temper expectations since its year 1 under Fuente but its getting awful hard not to look at the standings and say "what if".