• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Baltimore Orioles Ongoing Thread

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... and even Chen failed to get through the 5th inning without surrendering the lead.

Seriously... the Orioles should just call up the entire Norfolk rotation next year since we won't have a single MLB-level starter remaining anyway. (The entire Orioles rotation has posted a 4+ ERA since the all-star break.) In fact, they might as well do that right now if it weren't for the fact that the AAA team has reached the postseason.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I really believed that we had a legit shot at the post season to begin with but I think that the nail in the coffin on any postseason hopes this team had was when we lost those 3 games against Minnesota by one run. I think that deflated the team and then went on the current run that they're on at the moment.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I really believed that we had a legit shot at the post season to begin with but I think that the nail in the coffin on any postseason hopes this team had was when we lost those 3 games against Minnesota by one run. I think that deflated the team and then went on the current run that they're on at the moment.

If we extrapolate the Orioles' recent performance (4-16 over the last 20 games), they'll go 5-20 in their remaining 25 games, for an overall record of 70-92. If all other teams with worse records play 0.500 ball, this should be good for about 25th place in the league.

Any ideas on who to take with that #6 pick? (/s)

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey their only 12 games out of last place.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O's win to pull within 2 games of .500.
Texas beating Houston, LAA beating Twins and Royals beating Indians at the moment. Would really tighten up the race for WC2.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem is just to many teams ahead of them. Need all 4 ahead of them so pretty much suck the last couple weeks.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The O's had opportunities to go post, when you walk-in runs, blow leads late in games and have a terrible road record, the numbers equate to no postseason. They didn't have the timing on clutch hitting like last season (Cruz, De Aza, D Young, Hardy) so these are the reasons in my opinion

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The O's had opportunities to go post, when you walk-in runs, blow leads late in games and have a terrible road record, the numbers equate to no postseason. They didn't have the timing on clutch hitting like last season (Cruz, De Aza, D Young, Hardy) so these are the reasons in my opinion

Absolutely. They didn't have the clutch hits for the most part of this season. They definitely didn't have the luck in those 1 run games like last year either. If there was a stretch that showed this team was doomed, it was the stretch from Aug 20-Sept 7 where they went 3-15. There were at least 5 games during that stretch that this team could've won but just for whatever reason, they just choked.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fear a player blowup. DD's financial hands are tied by Angleosi and the relationship between DD and Buck cant be as bad as the media makes it out to be, only time will tell in the offseason. I hope the players stay together....

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fear a player blowup. DD's financial hands are tied by Angleosi and the relationship between DD and Buck cant be as bad as the media makes it out to be, only time will tell in the offseason. I hope the players stay together....

Since Jones is planning to speak to the management in the offseason, I'd actually prefer it if he's willing to lead an open mutiny if Angelos and Duquette do nothing again this year. While conflict is usually undesirable, it's sometimes necessary to get the message across...

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Jones is planning to speak to the management in the offseason, I'd actually prefer it if he's willing to lead an open mutiny if Angelos and Duquette do nothing again this year. While conflict is usually undesirable, it's sometimes necessary to get the message across...
Just curious but what good do you think would come of a mutiny? I honestly doubt Angelos cares at all about what the players think. Angelos only cares about his bank account, not about player or personnel concerns.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious but what good do you think would come of a mutiny? I honestly doubt Angelos cares at all about what the players think. Angelos only cares about his bank account, not about player or personnel concerns.

The idea is similar to the "Buck should force the issue by threatening to resign" tactic that I had mentioned previously. Let's consider several possibilities if Jones says something along the lines of "trade me to another team if you're not willing to contend":

1. The front office actually listens and makes a serious effort in the offseason. While it's not a guarantee that the team would become competitive, the players and the fans would appreciate the organization for at least trying.

2. The front office ignores the message and does only the bare minimum (like they did in the 2014 offseason). This will be a disaster: Since Davis + Chen + O'Day alone added up to ~12 WAR this year, the Orioles' baseline talent level for 2016 would drop to only ~69 wins after losing them. Let's suppose that DD brings in a bunch of fringe players, and the starting rotation and Hardy rebound somewhat-- even then, you're talking about ~75 wins at most. The fans will say that it's Angelos' fault, which would affect the bottom line somewhat.

3. The front office declares "no player is bigger than the team" and decides that they'd rather lose Jones than to deal with the additional distraction. Under this scenario, it wouldn't make sense to trade only Jones; the team would be blown up for a full rebuild, which could actually be beneficial for the long term.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine but you don't have showalter for the long -term you have a trembley situation plus a rebuild all over again.

sorry no way and players/coaches/GMs wont stay if they think they cant win

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The idea is similar to the "Buck should force the issue by threatening to resign" tactic that I had mentioned previously. Let's consider several possibilities if Jones says something along the lines of "trade me to another team if you're not willing to contend":

1. The front office actually listens and makes a serious effort in the offseason. While it's not a guarantee that the team would become competitive, the players and the fans would appreciate the organization for at least trying.

2. The front office ignores the message and does only the bare minimum (like they did in the 2014 offseason). This will be a disaster: Since Davis + Chen + O'Day alone added up to ~12 WAR this year, the Orioles' baseline talent level for 2016 would drop to only ~69 wins after losing them. Let's suppose that DD brings in a bunch of fringe players, and the starting rotation and Hardy rebound somewhat-- even then, you're talking about ~75 wins at most. The fans will say that it's Angelos' fault, which would affect the bottom line somewhat.

3. The front office declares "no player is bigger than the team" and decides that they'd rather lose Jones than to deal with the additional distraction. Under this scenario, it wouldn't make sense to trade only Jones; the team would be blown up for a full rebuild, which could actually be beneficial for the long term.

I say #2 is the most likely to happen. It's been a long time since the O's have spent a decent amount of money on the free agent market and I don't see that changing. It'll be a repeat of last offseason all over again I think and Duquette will have to make bs excuse after bs excuse about why we never signed anybody that nobody is going to buy. Number three would make it a miserable environment to be in because if the players feel that they aren't cared about or feel respected enough to offer an opinion, things are going to be like a powder keg in the club house. I'm glad Jones is at least going to try to talk to the people in the front office but I honestly am thinking that it's just going to fall on deaf ears.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's obvious the O's are in win now mode, especially with there not being a whole lot down on the farm. Not sure how the AL East is going to play out this season.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious the O's are in win now mode, especially with there not being a whole lot down on the farm. Not sure how the AL East is going to play out this season.

AL East is going to be anyones guess. Blue Jays have the best team on paper but after that who knows.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shame on the O's for letting this happen. They can *&%! off as I'm no longer a fan after 40+ years!!!