• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Plan

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So...here we are again friends. That 'ol too familiar spot of a) good enough to get there but b) not good enough to do anything. The natives were restless. Mike Brown was listless. Marvin was mostly clueless.

As we plod into February the apathy and/or anger is (perhaps?) beginning to wane. The standard bearers raised the Lombardi trophy for the fourth time in thirteen years. We don't have Brady. We don't have Belichick. That's not going to change. So what should? What do we have? What's the plan??? Here are some helpful suggestions for a way to maybe make a run at an fifth straight playoff spot with, shudder to think, a postseason win wedged in there?

These are suggestions that could work within the framework of a well run organization. We are not but it seems they are starting to inch their way towards that destination. With that caveat in place, here it is (in no particular order):

* Free Agents

First, our own and my suggestion in italics:

Jason Campbell, QB - (don't sign)
Cedric Peerman, RB - (sign to a modest short term deal)
Dane Sanzenbacher, WR - (don't sign)
Brandon Tate, WR - (sign to a modest short term deal)
Jermaine Gresham, TE - (don't sign)
Alex Smith, TE - (sign to league minimum, one year deal)
Clint Boling, OG - (let him test the market, resign if no takers and once price is set. Multiyear)
Marshall Newhouse, OT - (DON'T sign)
Eric Winston, OT - (sign to a modest short term deal)
Rey Maualuga, LB - (sign to a modest 3 year deal)
Terence Newman, CB - (retire)
Taylor Mays, S - (sign to one year deal)
Mike Nugent, PK - (sign to modest multiyear deal)

Restricted:

Devon Still, DT - (sign to league minimum after letting him test the market. One year deal)
Emmanuel Lamur, LB - (original round tender)

Per Over the Cap , the Bengals will have $34,298,150 (unofficially) in the 2015 financial year. They will have their usual $ budgeted for the rookie pool, incentives for players under contract and injury/cuts that will count against the cap. It's the same line we are fed every year by Hobspin. Just like the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, you can guarantee that Butch is going to spew that ambiguous swill that we will just have to swallow. No need to get mad about it, just the way it is in Bengaldom.

They are going to exercise AJ's option at $10.176 million for 2015. That legitimately will factor into the discussion. They can free up MORE money by either cutting/or restructuring these three players: Geathers, Peko and Hall. Three trusted vets and valued (amongst the organization) that have their best days behind them. They are also combined to make: $14.45 million in base salary and bonuses. This has to be addressed. Cut Geathers ($3.050 million salary) and Peko ($3.7 million salary). Redo Leon's deal and convert some of his base salary ($7.7 million) into guaranteed money to save against the cap. Leon will be hard for Mike to let go of due to him still being on the hook for $1.8 million of his signing bonus from his extension in 2011. They possibly could still swallow that and cut him outright. There are, afterall, two 1st round picks at CB's waiting in the wings with Pacman still under contract.

Now...here is the pie in the sky part of the plan. For the first time ever, sign a big time free agent. We the fans are sliding further and further into "who cares" land. There will be no visible changes aside from fancy new video boards at the stadium. It is going to be a hard sell for the fanbase to buy season tickets (and more importantly, businesses to reup/buy the luxury boxes). The honeymoon ended years ago with Marvin. What makes you genuinely excited about the upcoming home schedule? Home opponents (not including division opponents) include: Chiefs, Chargers, Texans, Rams and Seahawks. It will be another year of getting extensions as game week goes on and barely reaching that 85% threshold for the game to be shown locally. Thanks Kroger and P&G. Re-energize the lethargic fringe fanbase by breaking from the conventional. Sign a big (or at least for Cincinnati) free agent. Even if they don't eventually ink a player of that ilk, at least give the impression that you are trying. I am all in favor of building via the draft and keeping your own. 100%. This year is different, the fringe needs to be thrown a bone by at least trying to bring in a big time player. Short list includes players like: Suh, JPP, Demaryius Thomas, Randall Cobb. Again, I don't think they will get any of those aforementioned players. But at least be a apart of the conversation. Good chance they will be able to bring Michael Johnson back once Tampa Bay cuts him, which they are rumored to do.

*Extend the following:

- AJ Green
- Adam Jones
- Andrew Whitworth or Andre Smith

With the exception of Pacman, those players are carrying large cap numbers into this season. AJ's extension we free up more money to probably do nothing with but "roll over". Just being honest. But it could allow for a few more free agents to be in play as Marvin intimated a short time ago. Andre and Whit are going into their walk years. One of them has to sign long term and if the others goes, you have to have Plan B via the Draft. They should do that anyway which lead me to:

2015 NFL Draft

Here is my first mock (which is subject to change and ridicule)

1st round (21st overall)

La'el Collins (Offensive Tackle) LSU

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqwOXmGp2ns[/YOUTUBE]

Build the team via the line. If they want to be a smash mouth, control the clock team...and they do...they have to continue to invest in the line. As previously stated, Whit and Andre are going into their walk years. Boling is a free agent that will get a lot of interest. Collins is a beast that could start his NFL career at Guard and transition over to Tackle once one of the vets leaves. 6-4, 308lbs.

2nd round (53rd overall)

Denzel Perryman (LB) Miami

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NZbhgf33sg[/YOUTUBE]

Undersized but I love this kid. When he tackles you, you stay tackled. Burfict is questionable to return to form. Rey M. is a free agent. Depth falls off the map after Vinny Rey. LB needs to be taken early and probably more than once.

3rd round (85th overall)

Carl Davis (DT) Iowa

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxzOO5eRuaY[/YOUTUBE]

Peko is done. Still is a bust. Thompson has balky knees. Geno yet to return to form. D line needs some attention. Get it here.

3rd round (compensation for losing Michael Johnson)

Trey Flowers (DE/LB) Arkansas

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C82V2LxmreU[/YOUTUBE]

There's the pass rusher.

4th round (117th overall)

Tyler Lockett (WR) Kansas State

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH2ltdaxsoM[/YOUTUBE]

I know this will get ridiculed by many but Andy needs weapons. He can't win a game with inferior talent so the plan must continue to be to surround him with as much help as possible. Lockett can also help in the return game with experience at PR and KR on his resume.

5th through 7th (probably four picks)

CB, TE, DE, LB

*Leftover tidbits

- stuff that doesn't need much explanation but needs to happen:

* Name Duke Tobin as the GM (or at least give him the title of assistant GM). Currently he is director of player personnel. Only a matter of time before other franchises start sniffing around and offering him more. Make it clear to Mr. Tobin that he is the heir apparent to Mikey and give him a bump in title and salary. Can't lose him.

* Give Vance Joseph a bigger role. The next head coach is already on staff. Just the way that it is. Marvin is going into 2015 as a lame duck. He knows it and so does everyone else. If there is to be a change (it will have to happen eventually), have the successor lined up. Hue Jackson would be the odds on favorite but I would soothe Joseph by letting him know how valued he is (obvious with the blocking of a promotion) by making him assistant DC or something. He is a hot commodity that Mike Brown apparently is quite fond of. Show it.

* build a got ram practice bubble. Seriously.

That's it for now. Some can be accomplished. Some is just wishful thinking. Not getting my hopes up either way. That's my MO anymore. Who. Dey?

Last edited by a moderator:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thoughts...... I agree with you that we need to rebuild the lines and it will likely have to be a combination of free agency and draft. Our d-line functions better with depth and we don't currently have it. Our offensive line has some nice pieces, but we probably need to add a first round tackle over the next two or three seasons..... Tits didn't get any action on the maker a few years ago, and I doubt he does much better now. I'd try to sign him for a club-favorable deal. I'd also try to extend Whit now for another three or four seasons.

I think this is going to be a tough season for the Bengals..... Fan apathy is going to be pretty high and if we struggle out of the gate, we'll be in big trouble. I think the one thing that saved us this past year was the 3-0 start -- It masked a lot of our problems and it helped with ticket sales. If we start slow this year, things could really get ugly.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on the practice bubble thing. I often play soccer at lunchtime and there are several players (mostly wide receivers from what I can tell) who practice @ an indoor soccer/turf place in Mason. They are either just college players or pro players who live in the area. I don't recognize any faces, but these guys are all taller than me or about as tall (I'm 6'2'') and have muscles on their muscles. They place even has a football launching machine for this purpose. The Bengals don't even need to build a practice bubble, they can literally just rent space at one of the many indoor soccer facilities in the Cinci area. these places are available every weekday just sitting empty as most of their hosted youth and rec soccer leagues play and practice weekends and evenings.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll post my plan shortly, but a couple of thoughts about yours. No chance Davis drops to the 3rd. He may creep into the 1st. Lockett is also highly unlikely to be there in the 4th. More likely a mid 3rd round pick. If we take an OT in the 1st, this this year might was well be given up on. Collins won't help us this year at all.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my plan:

Cap Room: 33.3 Million

Cuts:
Domato Peko – Save 3.7 Mil
Robert Geathers – Save 3 Mil
Cap Room: 40 Million

Restructure:
Leon Hall – Save 3 Mil
Cap Room: 43 Million

Re-sign:
Clint Boling – 4 years 20 Mil
Mike Nugent – 2 years 3 Mil
Taylor Mays – 2 years 2 Mil
Eric Winston – 1 year 1 Mil
Devon Still – 1 year .5 Mil (RFA tender)
Emmanuel Lamur – 1 year .5 Mil (RFA tender)
Chris Lewis-Harris – 1 year .5 Mil (ERFA tender)
Cap Room: 30 Million

Free Agent Signings:
Malcolm Smith (OLB) – 4 years 18 Mil
Ryan Mallett (QB) – 2 years 4 Mil
Brian Orakpo (DE) – 3 years 12 Mil
Virgil Green (TE) – 3 years 4 Mil
David Harris (ILB) – 2 years 8 Mil
Cap Room: 14 Million

Draft:
1. Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State
2. Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami
3. Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M
3. Justin Hardy, WR, ECU
4. Jeff Heuerman, TE, Ohio State
5. Nick Marshall, CB, Auburn
6. Shaquille Riddick, DE, West Virginia
7. Kasen Williams, WR, Washington

Depth Chart:
QB: Dalton, Mallett, McCarron
RB: Hill, Bernard, Burkhead
FB: Hewitt
WR: Green, Jones, Sanu, Hardy, Wright,
TE: Eifert, Heuerman, Green
OT: Whitworth, Smith, Ogbuehi, Winston, Hawkinson
OG: Boling, Zeitler, Hopkins
OC: Bodine, Johnson
DE: Dunlap, Orakpo, Hunt, Gilberry, Clarke
DT: Atkins, Goldman, Thompson, Still
OLB: Burfict, Smith, Flowers, Rey
ILB: Harris, Perryman
CB: Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jones, Hall, Lewis-Harris, Marshall
FS: Nelson, Mays
SS: Iloka, Williams
K: Nugent
P: Huber

PS: Reese, McCaleb, Wilder Jr., Riddick, Williams, plus 3 UDFA

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on the practice bubble thing. I often play soccer at lunchtime and there are several players (mostly wide receivers from what I can tell) who practice @ an indoor soccer/turf place in Mason. They are either just college players or pro players who live in the area. I don't recognize any faces, but these guys are all taller than me or about as tall (I'm 6'2'') and have muscles on their muscles. They place even has a football launching machine for this purpose. The Bengals don't even need to build a practice bubble, they can literally just rent space at one of the many indoor soccer facilities in the Cinci area. these places are available every weekday just sitting empty as most of their hosted youth and rec soccer leagues play and practice weekends and evenings.

It is quite the pain in the ass to have everyone pack up all their practice gear, the equipment and get the buses warmed up to haul 53+ guys plus staff to a practice facility across town. Just saying. I don't disagree that if the facilities are there and sitting empty, why not use them, but to consider the amount of work it takes to haul everyone and everything just a few miles across town is insane and quite literally a put off for players I am sure. It sure wouldn't help with FA acquisitions knowing this is the standard in a cold city.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my plan:

Cap Room: 33.3 Million

Cuts:
Domato Peko – Save 3.7 Mil
Robert Geathers – Save 3 Mil
Cap Room: 40 Million

Restructure:
Leon Hall – Save 3 Mil
Cap Room: 43 Million

Re-sign:
Clint Boling – 4 years 20 Mil
Mike Nugent – 2 years 3 Mil
Taylor Mays – 2 years 2 Mil
Eric Winston – 1 year 1 Mil
Devon Still – 1 year .5 Mil (RFA tender)
Emmanuel Lamur – 1 year .5 Mil (RFA tender)
Chris Lewis-Harris – 1 year .5 Mil (ERFA tender)
Cap Room: 30 Million

Free Agent Signings:
Malcolm Smith (OLB) – 4 years 18 Mil
Ryan Mallett (QB) – 2 years 4 Mil
Brian Orakpo (DE) – 3 years 12 Mil
Virgil Green (TE) – 3 years 4 Mil
David Harris (ILB) – 2 years 8 Mil
Cap Room: 14 Million

Draft:
1. Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State
2. Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami
3. Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M
3. Justin Hardy, WR, ECU
4. Jeff Heuerman, TE, Ohio State
5. Nick Marshall, CB, Auburn
6. Shaquille Riddick, DE, West Virginia
7. Kasen Williams, WR, Washington

Depth Chart:
QB: Dalton, Mallett, McCarron
RB: Hill, Bernard, Burkhead
FB: Hewitt
WR: Green, Jones, Sanu, Hardy, Wright,
TE: Eifert, Heuerman, Green
OT: Whitworth, Smith, Ogbuehi, Winston, Hawkinson
OG: Boling, Zeitler, Hopkins
OC: Bodine, Johnson
DE: Dunlap, Orakpo, Hunt, Gilberry, Clarke
DT: Atkins, Goldman, Thompson, Still
OLB: Burfict, Smith, Flowers, Rey
ILB: Harris, Perryman
CB: Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jones, Hall, Lewis-Harris, Marshall
FS: Nelson, Mays
SS: Iloka, Williams
K: Nugent
P: Huber

PS: Reese, McCaleb, Wilder Jr., Riddick, Williams, plus 3 UDFA

Did Maualuga disappear into a black hole?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is quite the pain in the ass to have everyone pack up all their practice gear, the equipment and get the buses warmed up to haul 53+ guys plus staff to a practice facility across town. Just saying. I don't disagree that if the facilities are there and sitting empty, why not use them, but to consider the amount of work it takes to haul everyone and everything just a few miles across town is insane and quite literally a put off for players I am sure. It sure wouldn't help with FA acquisitions knowing this is the standard in a cold city.

they have a parking lot, they can ride share.

not sure how much trouble it is to manage one's own equipment, high school players do it all the time, and you would still have to carry it or something to that effect to whatever practice bubble that Bengals would manage to put up. If they would rather do that than practice in the cold, then they would do it. hell, they could get equipment managers to load the stuff early. the lack of a practice bubble is probably already a free agent consideration.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they will wait to see if anyone is willing to pay Rey M

if not, then we sign him again.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they will wait to see if anyone is willing to pay Rey M

if not, then we sign him again.

Isn't this our strategy for all of our free agents?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, it's like shopping at good will.

you can find a 29$ t-shirt for 3$ because no one wants it, but not every time you shop.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll pull the same shit with Clint Boling.... He hasn't been great for us, but he has become a decent guard with his better days ahead of him. Someone will give him a modest salary and we'll let him walk. Meanwhile, we'll have 30 million in reserve and be afraid to let 3 million of it to go to a guard..... Meanwhile, Hobs will write about how we find and develop our own. It's all bullshit. The only guys we develop and retain are guys that either opt to sign a year early and cash in (Atkins, Burfict, Hall, Dunlap, Whit) or guys that don't have any real interest for one reason or another (Rey M., Tits, Nelson). Those with an expired contract and options leave the team - J-Joe, Hawk, Johnson, Collins.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my best Jim Mora voice:

"Plan? Don't talk about PLAN! This is the Mike Brown owned team. Are you kidding me? PLAN?!"

:D

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll pull the same shit with Clint Boling.... He hasn't been great for us, but he has become a decent guard with his better days ahead of him. Someone will give him a modest salary and we'll let him walk. Meanwhile, we'll have 30 million in reserve and be afraid to let 3 million of it to go to a guard..... Meanwhile, Hobs will write about how we find and develop our own. It's all bullshit. The only guys we develop and retain are guys that either opt to sign a year early and cash in (Atkins, Burfict, Hall, Dunlap, Whit) or guys that don't have any real interest for one reason or another (Rey M., Tits, Nelson). Those with an expired contract and options leave the team - J-Joe, Hawk, Johnson, Collins.

Ain't it a bitch? I wouldn't wish being a Bengals fan on my worst enemy.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 6-10 New York Giants, as bad as they are right now, have a better shot at returning to the superbowl than we do.

JBUCK66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
images