• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Lions: RB by Committee

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the overall depth at the position, coupled with the complementary skill-sets each back possesses, I think the writing is on the wall for a RB-by-committee approach to our running game this year.

Joique Bell should wind up get the most touches out of group. He's a well-rounded back who runs with balance and power and is a true 3-down back that can be counted on in pass protection and is a surprisingly good receiver (his route running is definitely "plus" for a RB). He closed the season very strong last year, averaging well over 4.0 YPC over the last 8 games. If he can pick up where he left off our running game should start the season in much better shape than it did last year.

Ameer Abdullah is definitely the most talented RB in the unit. He has a burst and change-of-direction that is unmatched. He's also (reportedly) pretty polished for a rookie, holding his own in pass-pro, and excelling in the receiving game. He's the home-run threat our backfield has lacked since Jahvid Best bumped his head that final time.

Theo Riddick excelled as a receiving back last season, but was lackluster at best running the ball. He looked much better in that department this preseason, running hard and shedding tackles when he got the opportunity. If he continues to trend towards a complete RB defensive coordinators will have fits when Riddick and Abdullah share the field in a 2 back set. Good luck figuring out what personnel to match up on that combo; go with the nickel or dime and we run the ball right at it, opt to match LBs against those two and watch them get roasted in coverage.

Zach Zenner brings up the rear as a well-rounded rookie who looks to be a very complete back. He has speed, size, power, balance, hands, and brains. We'll see how he looks playing against ones and twos instead of the deep reserves he toasted this offseason, but I don't think you'll find too many around here arguing that he can't develop into a very good RB for us with a full season in our offense and also with a year of access to NFL weight training and conditioning. Imagine ZZ at this time next year, 5 lbs heavier and a little bit faster and more explosive. Scary.

Basically, I think we have two 'complete' backs in Bell and Zenner, bottled lightning in Abdullah, and a bit of a Swiss Army Knife in Riddick. If used properly our RB group has the depth and talent to really give opposing defenses a lot of match-up problems.

Running back committee will carry load for Lions

Lessons Learned from Every NFL Team This Preseason

Detroit Lions: Breaking Down Final Roster and Week 1 Starters | Bleacher Report

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zenner will lead the team in carries, yards and jersey numbers. Book it!

#34 these days. Leaving #41 in a box labeled "Canton". (Already got myself two #34 jersies so that works out nicely.)

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell and Abdullah will play more early in games. How the game goes and the defense we play will determine how the backups are used. In games we are up more than a score in the second half I would expect to see more ZZ. If we are behind then more Riddick.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are behind then more Riddick.

if we're behind, then imo, we'll see A LOT more of AA. Maybe some sprinkles of Riddick mixed in with AA in that instance.

but that's just me.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we're behind, then imo, we'll see A LOT more of AA. Maybe some sprinkles of Riddick mixed in with AA in that instance.

but that's just me.
I think the wording might be muddling up what he's trying to say. From the way I read it he's suggesting that we'll see Zenner more frequently when we're winning and trying to run the clock, and Riddick more frequently when we're playing catch-up and passing a lot. Not necessarily that we'll see more of Zenner or more of Riddick than we will of Abdullah or Bell.

I think it was more of a comment on when we'll see each guy, as opposed to how often.

But that's just my take on it. I could be wrong. It actually happened once. No lie.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the wording might be muddling up what he's trying to say. From the way I read it he's suggesting that we'll see Zenner more frequently when we're winning and trying to run the clock, and Riddick more frequently when we're playing catch-up and passing a lot

I get all of that, TP. Think about it for a minute. If we're behind and needing to pass more, then I see that as having AA in the backfield, along with receiver's CJ, Tate, Ebron and prolly (1) of Fuller or Riddick or whomever you want to slot in as #3 or even #4 WR, depending on where Ebron lines up. That is why I stated some sprinkles of Riddick, like in the slot for him. AA will be in the backfield, more than likely, due to his athleticism to run or catch from out of the backfield. AA is more explosive than Bell.

I got the ZZ part to run out the clock.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take is Bell might get phased out. IMO he will not be game ready and if AA 2 ZZ impress enough. It might be hard for Bell to gain back his touches.

Zenner does what I feel he can in short yardage and with AA and Riddick both awesome in space in the passing game. Bell just may become the handcuff guy. That really won't be a bad situation to be in.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Ameer's chances of a homerun play
@SD-who knows
@Min-no
Den-oh my goodness
@Sea-NO!
Ari-Possible
Chi-Yes
Min-at home, possible
vs.KC-no

This doesn't look like a great starting schedule for a homerun threat. SD, Sea, Ari, and KC can stop the run.

I am not sure why you drafted a player meant to be leading rusher. 5-10 carries is not gonna translate to 100 yards unless you are playing a bad defense.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Ameer's chances of a homerun play
@SD-who knows
@Min-no
Den-oh my goodness
@Sea-NO!
Ari-Possible
Chi-Yes
Min-at home, possible
vs.KC-no

This doesn't look like a great starting schedule for a homerun threat. SD, Sea, Ari, and KC can stop the run.

I am not sure why you drafted a player meant to be leading rusher. 5-10 carries is not gonna translate to 100 yards unless you are playing a bad defense.
Yer predicting what games AA can break a big play in? Hahaha. (Minny is immune to big plays at home but not on the road?)

Welcome to the Lions Board Brees!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get all of that, TP. Think about it for a minute. If we're behind and needing to pass more, then I see that as having AA in the backfield, along with receiver's CJ, Tate, Ebron and prolly (1) of Fuller or Riddick or whomever you want to slot in as #3 or even #4 WR, depending on where Ebron lines up. That is why I stated some sprinkles of Riddick, like in the slot for him. AA will be in the backfield, more than likely, due to his athleticism to run or catch from out of the backfield. AA is more explosive than Bell.

I got the ZZ part to run out the clock.
I'm with you there, but if we're in full-on passing mode trying to tighten up the score, then when Abdullah comes out it will likely be Riddick going in to spell him, rather than Bell. That's where Theo brings the most value, imo- no huddle passing situations. Think back to the game winner against Miami or the crazy one-hander against the Falcons. I don't think we win either of those games without those two spectacular receptions...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take is Bell might get phased out. IMO he will not be game ready and if AA 2 ZZ impress enough. It might be hard for Bell to gain back his touches.

Zenner does what I feel he can in short yardage and with AA and Riddick both awesome in space in the passing game. Bell just may become the handcuff guy. That really won't be a bad situation to be in.
I definitely follow the logic on that school of thought, but my take is that they have a fair amount of $$ invested in Bell right now, and that they'll want to get their money's worth out of the guy. I think "using up," so to speak, the veteran back while keeping carries a little lower for the young backs to start their careers is a savvy move. Keeps the younger backs healthy and fresh...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely follow the logic on that school of thought, but my take is that they have a fair amount of $$ invested in Bell right now, and that they'll want to get their money's worth out of the guy. I think "using up," so to speak, the veteran back while keeping carries a little lower for the young backs to start their careers is a savvy move. Keeps the younger backs healthy and fresh...

I can get with the keeping the carries down.

Totally disagree with the money though. The coach is paid to win, not conserve money.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can get with the keeping the carries down.

Totally disagree with the money though. The coach is paid to win, not conserve money.
The problem, though, is that an NFL coach isn't a dictator- they (with the exception of Belicheat and Chip Kelley) don't have final say on personnel decisions, so there is external pressure. Economics do come into play in these situations in the NFL, imo.

That being said, even if you want to toss out the money stuff, burning up carries on an effective veteran back in order to minimize wear and tear on young up-and-coming backs is an effective and established tactic in the NFL, especially in today's league where RB time shares have by and large replaced the traditional "lead back" approach. So we're in agreement there, by the sounds of it.

I think that with a smaller guy like Abdullah, especially while he's still mastering the offense and adjusting to the speed and physicality of the NFL, going heavy on Bell over the first half of the season just makes a lot of sense. Keeping wear and tear down and injury risk to a minimum now can lead to productive seasons on the back end of his career. I really think it's more of a total career carries situation that slows backs down more than age does.

Bell is talented and a little expensive and getting old by RB standards. Abdullah is young, more talented, and a lot less expensive. Use up the old Buick for the heavy lifting (pounding the ball up the middle, short yardage, pass-protection) and keep the Ferrari fresh and healthy and explosive for the playoff push (and, hopefully, deep playoff run).

If we were in a one year vacuum where we lost all of our RBs at the end of the year, then sure, use Abdullah the most by a long shot. But we're not in that situation. The coaches have to think about Abdullah's career as a Lion, not just what he can do for us this year. It's a marathon, imo, not a race. That's why I love the RB-by-committee approach, it keeps young backs healthier longer. There's only so many effective carries in each back, imo. You can either burn them all up in a few really good seasons, or spread them out over several more seasons of effective play.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell is talented and a little expensive and getting old by RB standards. Abdullah is young, more talented, and a lot less expensive. Use up the old Buick for the heavy lifting (pounding the ball up the middle, short yardage, pass-protection) and keep the Ferrari fresh and healthy and explosive for the playoff push (and, hopefully, deep playoff run).

Normally, I would tend to agree with this comment about running backs and getting closer to 30. Bell has only played for 3 years and has 470 carries in his career. To put it in perspective -- DeMarco Murray had 430 carries just last year.

I think Bell is a solid option running between the tackles and at 3 million per season, he is a relative bargain, when you throw in he can catch balls out the backfield too. If he would stop fumbling -- I would say he was definitely a bargain.

I will hold off calling him an old buick or calling ameer the ferrari. The only Ferrari the Lions have had at RB retired way too soon and I'm not talking about Jahvid Bust. :)

I have high hopes for Abdullah though. He says all the right things, seems to have a really good head on his shoulders and if the Lions thought enough of him to give him the veteran treatment after 1 game in the preseason -- I hope to see good things from him.