• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Cougars

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, I have always been a Cougar fan, and though I have been very disappointed with how the last few seasons have turned out, I am still rooting for the Crimson and Gray. I have been very vocal in other places about my disgust with Mike Leach and his inability to take what I thought was the most talented roster the Cougs have fielded since 2003 (though, granted there wasn't much talent on a lot of those rosters).

Now, I was excited, as were most Cougar fans, when Wulff was let go and Mike Leach was hired. Who wouldn't be, Wulff had won fewer games in his 4 seasons in Pullman (9) than bowl games Leach took Texas Tech to in his 10 seasons there (10). With the feeling that the Cougs were poised to make a bowl run, why not be excited about a coach who had never missed a bowl game.

Then the wheels came off. Leach was egotistical at best, but most likely just childish as he engaged in personal vendettas with players on his roster. He couldn't even put competitive teams on the field most weeks, and the team took a step back in a season where they were supposed to take a step forward.

Personally, I am not sure that Leach can do much in Pullman. At TTU, he took a team that hadn't had a losing record in over 7 seasons and just ensured they kept the streak alive. The Raiders were 35-23 (.603 win %) in the five years before Leach took over, and in his ten years he won 62% of his games.

So, can/will (for anyone who actually comes on this board) Leach actually turn his failures of last season around and actually make the Cougs respectable this season?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Mike Leach and the pussy schedule he assembled to get to a bowl game with teams that won 6 games when 4 were against scrubs. He's a one trick pony who had 2 other offenses to worry about in a no defense league. The Pac-12 is not exactly a defense driven league but nearly every team can put 30 on you with no sweat...so until the guy learns he isn't god's gift to the earth and learns humility he isn't going to win shit.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Mike Leach and the pussy schedule he assembled to get to a bowl game with teams that won 6 games when 4 were against scrubs. He's a one trick pony who had 2 other offenses to worry about in a no defense league. The Pac-12 is not exactly a defense driven league but nearly every team can put 30 on you with no sweat...so until the guy learns he isn't god's gift to the earth and learns humility he isn't going to win shit.

I do tend to agree. He inherited a team with real weapons at the positions he needs for his offense (and let's face it, offense is all he cares about) and instead of working with them, he attacked them and forced one to quit and benched the other.

I had a discussion with my brother-in-law (who still likes Leach and feels the players were just too soft) last night, and he made the claim that if the Cougars offense would have bought in with Leach and scored just one more touchdown a game, that they would have been in a bowl last year. Having just gone over the numbers, if the Cougars scored just one more TD in each game, they would have had 1 more win (Colorado). So, for those who think that the Cougars can just get better on offense and be fine, this is a real example as to how a competent (not elite, but just competent) defense could really change the fate of a team.

I won't root against Leach (as doing so would hurt WSU), and I would be happy if he turns it around, but I just can't see it right now.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do tend to agree. He inherited a team with real weapons at the positions he needs for his offense (and let's face it, offense is all he cares about) and instead of working with them, he attacked them and forced one to quit and benched the other.

I had a discussion with my brother-in-law (who still likes Leach and feels the players were just too soft) last night, and he made the claim that if the Cougars offense would have bought in with Leach and scored just one more touchdown a game, that they would have been in a bowl last year. Having just gone over the numbers, if the Cougars scored just one more TD in each game, they would have had 1 more win (Colorado). So, for those who think that the Cougars can just get better on offense and be fine, this is a real example as to how a competent (not elite, but just competent) defense could really change the fate of a team.

I won't root against Leach (as doing so would hurt WSU), and I would be happy if he turns it around, but I just can't see it right now.

Which is the one thing that pisses me off with Leach cool aid sippers. In Wulff's second season, besides obviously it being WSU was how demanding his practices were. 2 and 3 star guys from the state were choosing elsewhere because of how "tough his practices were" A guy who played in an AC a week or whatever it was after his appendectimy (sp) is not soft.

Marquees quit strictly on the fact he was tired of being the media scapegoat. If his work ethic isn't up to your standards then bench him, do some kind of discipline don't go blab it everyone in the media. Not making excuses but when you are a 20yr old kid and the media comes up with quotes from your coach accusing you of X, Y Z what is he suppose to do? He's a player so he can't call out his coach.

And finally, Jeff Tuel was the most athletic quarterback he has ever coached and instead of using that tool while his offense blew he said na, I don't want him to run. But what happened in the AC? Jeff Tuel finally used his legs, not saying it would've made a huge difference, but when defenses drop 7 or 8 in coverage and basically give you 4-5 yards if your QB runs, fucking take it instead of having such an ego.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is the one thing that pisses me off with Leach cool aid sippers. In Wulff's second season, besides obviously it being WSU was how demanding his practices were. 2 and 3 star guys from the state were choosing elsewhere because of how "tough his practices were" A guy who played in an AC a week or whatever it was after his appendectimy (sp) is not soft.

Marquees quit strictly on the fact he was tired of being the media scapegoat. If his work ethic isn't up to your standards then bench him, do some kind of discipline don't go blab it everyone in the media. Not making excuses but when you are a 20yr old kid and the media comes up with quotes from your coach accusing you of X, Y Z what is he suppose to do? He's a player so he can't call out his coach.

And finally, Jeff Tuel was the most athletic quarterback he has ever coached and instead of using that tool while his offense blew he said na, I don't want him to run. But what happened in the AC? Jeff Tuel finally used his legs, not saying it would've made a huge difference, but when defenses drop 7 or 8 in coverage and basically give you 4-5 yards if your QB runs, fucking take it instead of having such an ego.

Yeah, I agree. Leach will have to change if the Cougars are gonna even become respectable under his tenure. He's the worst kind of leader, takes all the credit while refusing to take responsibility. I just fear that if he keeps alienating players that the Cougars are gonna be right back where they were after Doba (talent wise), because no one will want to play for him. :L

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wont be last in the division. i think WSU is set up better than Cal. still only gonna win about 3 games though.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wont be last in the division. i think WSU is set up better than Cal. still only gonna win about 3 games though.

I'd really like to get all heated up about this prediction, but I'm afraid that it may actually be a little on the more generous side....

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree. Leach will have to change if the Cougars are gonna even become respectable under his tenure. He's the worst kind of leader, takes all the credit while refusing to take responsibility. I just fear that if he keeps alienating players that the Cougars are gonna be right back where they were after Doba (talent wise), because no one will want to play for him. :L

Leach appears to be the kind of coach that NEEDS his players to run his scheme. To me the best coaches can adapt their schemes to the play to the strengths of the players they have, but I just don't see that in him. That doesn't mean he can't/won't find success, but it does mean it isn't likely until he has his kids in place in the key positions and it's hard not to think he is treating Wulff's kids like red headed step children.

There is enough talent on the team to win upset games. I predicted they would upset someone last year and it turned out to be my team, but I think they can do that again this year. It's just a matter of which game it comes together in.

I don't know if they can reach a bowl this year, but if he can get one of his QB's in by next season I think you will see his offense moving up the ranks. I just don't see it this year when he still doesn't have his own QB.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leach appears to be the kind of coach that NEEDS his players to run his scheme. To me the best coaches can adapt their schemes to the play to the strengths of the players they have, but I just don't see that in him. That doesn't mean he can't/won't find success, but it does mean it isn't likely until he has his kids in place in the key positions and it's hard not to think he is treating Wulff's kids like red headed step children.

There is enough talent on the team to win upset games. I predicted they would upset someone last year and it turned out to be my team, but I think they can do that again this year. It's just a matter of which game it comes together in.

I don't know if they can reach a bowl this year, but if he can get one of his QB's in by next season I think you will see his offense moving up the ranks. I just don't see it this year when he still doesn't have his own QB.

I know Wiz, I promised you no Leach rants but

That was the problem, the Coug's offense had the most talent they have had in years but their 2 best players in Wilson and Tuel were not the type of players Leach has ever had. He's never had a guy who is so elusive as Tuel, not a WR who is as athletic as Wilson. He was all about allowing his guy Marks to run fly routes but Wilson was forced into doing stuff that were not his strengths. Simmons was his position coach, yet his title was inside receivers coach. Wilson is not a slot receiver, nor is his strength blocking.

They should've upset Stanford but Wilson was benched for the start of the game, but once it got close Leach decided to put his best play maker on the field. I still don't really know if I'd consider the AC as an upset, more as a complete choke job. UW had the game and just basically gave the game to us. Much like we did with Colorado.

His QB's are fucked this year. Halilday is a solid QB, with a cannon of an arm but without an actual coach who develops players he will end up with his same problems, which is forcing the ball and causing turnovers. Apodaca seems to be a solid RS frosh, but his strengths are short passes (a plus for Leach) but also his scrambling ability (a huge negative for Leach) True frosh, Tyler Bruggman seems to be the best "Leach style QB" but the guy is a true frosh, and he was on ESPN twice last year and completely shit the bed. Granted he played against solid HS teams but his 2 chances to shine on television and he completely looked like trash. Much like your former Husky Durocher, the guy was amazing during the season when there was no pressure, but sucked nuts under pressure.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would have been the longest thread in the history of the cbs Coug board...not sure if that's cause to celebrate or not...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get me going on Leach and I will make a thread as long as it can possibly go. I just hate a guy who has never been able to recruit stars nor west coast people comes in thinking he is top dog but alienates his entire recruiting base because pulled a scholarship from a roster filler. Shit, he had a great TE in Lintz last year but refused to use him because his racism showed and he prefered to have his normal little white slot receiver instead of a guy who would cause huge matchup problems against the 7 DB's team would put in the game.