• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Mavericks off-season thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Mavericks have Nowitzki, Odom, Marion, Haywood, Carter, Beaubois & Jones technically on their roster with options on Azubuike & Wright.

personally i use the Amnesty clause on Marion which saves us over 8.5M toward the salary cap, giving us about 25M to pursue free agents.

i would then approach Orlando and work a trade with them to get Howard, offering them Odom(who they could release saving 6M), Haywood, Carter(who they could release saving 3M), our 2013 1st & 2nd round picks and the rights to Nick Calathes on the contingent that Howard signs a multi-year deal with us. 5 years 80M sounds about right.

i would then sign Deron Williams with a 5 year 80+M contract.

i would then sign C.J. Miles, Nicolas Batum, Jeremy Lin, Ian Mahinmi, Chase Budinger & Willie Green.

that's 13 players with a 2012-13 team payroll, with a little Cuban magic, just under 60M

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there will be some moves....but im reading/hearing the amnesty clause will be used on haywood

odom is gone of course traded or just cut.....me personally i pay him and send his ass to the d-league all year

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah we should keep terry....if he takes the paycut...when he is on his hot streak he can still score

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think terry or kidd will be back and it would be better for us to trade Odom than cut him

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there will be some moves....but im reading/hearing the amnesty clause will be used on haywood

odom is gone of course traded or just cut.....me personally i pay him and send his ass to the d-league all year

haywood has more value than marion

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Mavericks have big decisions to make before the NBA draft June 28, and free agency begins July 1. But no decision may be bigger than what to do with center Brendan Haywood.

It's been widely speculated that the Mavericks will use the one-time amnesty provision to remove Haywood from the salary cap. But a rare clause in Haywood's contract could make that move unnecessary.

Haywood has what one NBA executive called "the best spread provision in the NBA'' in his contract. In layman's terms, any team that waives Haywood can spread out the payments for the remainder of his contract until 2026, according to an NBA source.

That means the team that owns his rights and waives him would be responsible for no more than $2 million per year over the next 14 years.

That clause in the deal is a huge incentive when it comes to including Haywood as a possible sweetener in trade talks that are going fast and furious as teams gear up for the frenzy that will begin as soon as the NBA finals end. Other teams see that as a very appealing contract.

On paper, Haywood's contract would appear to be an albatross. He's guaranteed money over the next three seasons, escalating from $8.349 million in 2012-13 to $9.073 million the following season and $9.798 million in 2014-15. His final season, at $10.522 million, is not guaranteed."

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A highly-placed league insider tells us the Mavs are already pursuing a revision to Odom's contract that would move his deadline to buy out his last year at $2.4 million from June 29, 2012 to some time in July, a contractual change that is permitted by the league with mutual agreement from both player and team.

That would make a major difference in Odom's future possibilities, especially as it pertains to the Lakers.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one.

Wait, Raymond Felton.

Umm...on second thought, I was right the first time

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0 chance Dallas gets Howard yet here they were today talking "possiblities" of it on the local sports radio. :L morons

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirk hinting he might retire, says he's too old to get into a "re-building mode"

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I read some cock-fluffing piece this morning about how it is better for Cuban to have "swung for the fences and missed than not tried". BS. He put all of his money on a number and spun the wheel, and missed. Now it looks like we are going to have to roll into the season with Dirk, a couple of veteran spares, and some rookies. I'm not against giving rookies legit playing time and not a short leash 2 minute mop up role, but is Carlisle? Is Dirk willing to play wet-nurse to kiddos?

Do we have all of our picks next year? Because they are going to be lotto picks. Sheesh, I'm almost on board with amnesty on Marion and trading Dirk. Who among us would fault Dirk for very very quietly asking for a trade? I'm sure we could get quite a haul back for two years of Dirk, and he would be happy with a legit team. I have no idea where I would even begin a trade demand for him, but a lot of picks and a good young stud would be a nice start. Unfortunately anyone that we could hope to lure here with a sign and trade would be to play with Dirk (like Howard).

Next year will be interesting, but I have a feeling it will be PAINFUL.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I read some cock-fluffing piece this morning about how it is better for Cuban to have "swung for the fences and missed than not tried". BS. He put all of his money on a number and spun the wheel, and missed. Now it looks like we are going to have to roll into the season with Dirk, a couple of veteran spares, and some rookies. I'm not against giving rookies legit playing time and not a short leash 2 minute mop up role, but is Carlisle? Is Dirk willing to play wet-nurse to kiddos?

Do we have all of our picks next year? Because they are going to be lotto picks. Sheesh, I'm almost on board with amnesty on Marion and trading Dirk. Who among us would fault Dirk for very very quietly asking for a trade? I'm sure we could get quite a haul back for two years of Dirk, and he would be happy with a legit team. I have no idea where I would even begin a trade demand for him, but a lot of picks and a good young stud would be a nice start. Unfortunately anyone that we could hope to lure here with a sign and trade would be to play with Dirk (like Howard).

Next year will be interesting, but I have a feeling it will be PAINFUL.

it is guaranteed that this will be an awful season for the Mavs fans. who is the top rated player in next season's draft?

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like the moves from yesterday kaman,collison are both upgrades imo.........kaman "could" have a breakout year like chandler ...it seems like most people forgot chandler was a "decent" player before the mavs and now everyone acts like he is the best center in the league

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like the moves from yesterday kaman,collison are both upgrades imo.........kaman "could" have a breakout year like chandler ...it seems like most people forgot chandler was a "decent" player before the mavs and now everyone acts like he is the best center in the league

Depends on how you look at it. I think we get the 8th seed by default with them 2

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elton Brand just claimed off of waivers.

Not a championship team yet, but at least we should be playing in May

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oj mayo signed to multi year deal........not a bad off season at all in my opinion.......got younger,quicker and will have lots of flexibility next year