• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

20 games in: time to rant

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After opening the season 2-0, the Mariners have dropped 13of 18.

They lost a series at home to the team with the worst 25-man roster in the American League.

The traditional strength of their team, pitching, is no longer there. If Iwakuma wasn't playing over his head right now, this pitching staff might have the worst ERA in the American League.

Another Traditional, Safeco-era strength has been defense. But, defense has also been showing some cracks in the seams as players are beginning to take their offenses struggles onto the field with them.

Seagar, Saunders, Smoak, Montero, Ackley - the 'core five' as I call them. They aren't one-year rentals. The longterm success of the team is living or dieing with these five guys. Saunders has arrived. I'm not worried about him. Seager is legit too. He had a 7-game stretch where he couldn't do anything, but he's snapped out of it. Montero is horrible. A guy who can't run and can't defend, has to hit. Montero can't do that either. He's starting to sprinkle in a few more singles, but his power is gone. Ackley still looks overmatched at the plate. Smoak still looks overmatched as well. Ackley's future is probably as a versatile utility guy and pinch runner...on a different team. He's probably best suited for the NL. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be a starter again, once he has lost his job here (which will be sometime this year). Smoak can be a late inning defensive replacement at first base and a pinch hitter. But, like Ackley, once he loses his job as a starter (sometime this year), he won't get it back again.He is also better suited in the NL.

Saunders - looks like he's going to be a product of Safeco Field. I'm guessing he finishes with a 3.50 ERA at home and 5.50 ERA on the road. He's here one year. He won't be back, and he could be gone before August.

Morse - Over-anxious at the plate. The total sucker for pitches beneath the strike zone and breaking balls hanging just beyond the outside plate. He'll hit 30 homeruns this year, but his productiveity will depend on whether he can discontinue the bad habits he currently has t the plate. He could hit 30 homeruns, knock in 80 and bat .240. Or, he could hit 40 homeruns, knock in 110, and bat .290. It will depend on whether he gains some plate discipline or not.

Morales - Pitchers are afraid of him. His HBP/walk total is in the top 10 in the AL. I'd like to see him get re-signed. He's the best DH this team has had since Edgar retired.

Ibanez and Bay - They are pretty much what most of us thought they would be: slightly better than horrible.

Iwakuma - playing over his head. Can't see him maintaining this all year long. We'll see how he does his second time through the league. But I still like him.

Maurer - Has looked better the last two times out, but I'm still not a believer as far as 2013 goes. I think he ultimately ends up in AAA. I just hope this experience does not wreck his confidence because I think he has a great future.

Wedge - We need more fire from this guy. Players are getting sloppy in the field, out batters have been hit the second most of any team in the AL, the pitchers are not getting the from the homeplate ump that the opponent pitchers are getting. We've had more than our share of bad calls on the base paths. Wedge needs to start getting in people's faces.

Dave Hanson - the Dave Hanson project clearly is not working.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the showing where you split with Texas and shut down their offense, i thought you guys would be legit this year. This last series didn't change my mind on that, but you guys just had a bad three games.

Question: Did I dream it or did Safeco move its walls in this year? That might be affecting some of your pitching perhaps? I know it gave Texas a few cheap-o HR's that jsut barely cleared.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the showing where you split with Texas and shut down their offense, i thought you guys would be legit this year. This last series didn't change my mind on that, but you guys just had a bad three games.

Question: Did I dream it or did Safeco move its walls in this year? That might be affecting some of your pitching perhaps? I know it gave Texas a few cheap-o HR's that jsut barely cleared.

Yeah, they moved the fences in. They hit 7 homeruns in their first home stand (10 games). The opposition hit 11.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-
I will disagree here. Not because I think Hanson is the answer or doing a great job, but our offensive problems go way beyond the hitting coach. How many hitting coaches have we gone through the last 10 years. Its been a revolving door. Hitting coaches are unfortunately always the scape goat when offenses are struggling.

Wedge - We need more fire from this guy. Players are getting sloppy in the field, out batters have been hit the second most of any team in the AL, the pitchers are not getting the from the homeplate ump that the opponent pitchers are getting. We've had more than our share of bad calls on the base paths. Wedge needs to start getting in people's faces.

-I 100% agree on this one. The dude is fake. He puts up such a tough guy front and he is either disinterested or a fraud. I would love once for him to get a tossed out of a game just to show he has life. And honestly the whole accountability thing he preaches is BS. Guys dont need to earn their spots here. You can hit as bad as you want and Wedge hasnt shown the balls to bench anyone.

Saunders - looks like he's going to be a product of Safeco Field. I'm guessing he finishes with a 3.50 ERA at home and 5.50 ERA on the road. He's here one year. He won't be back, and he could be gone before August

-Spot on again couldnt have said it better myself, Vargas 2.0 I guess.

I will give Morse the benefit of the doubt because I think he needed to sit out a few more games with that wrist injury and I dont think hes a 100%. He was hitting well before the injury but now seems to trying to hard because no one around him is hitting.

In my opinion its not too early to hit the panic button. I mean you really want to wait another 20 games and have our record be like 13-27 or something like that. Issues need to be addressed sooner rather then later. We have sat back and been patient enough for crying out loud. The product on the field is not watchable right now unless Felix or Iwakuma starts.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-I will disagree here. Not because I think Hanson is the answer or doing a great job, but our offensive problems go way beyond the hitting coach. How many hitting coaches have we gone through the last 10 years. Its been a revolving door. Hitting coaches are unfortunately always the scape goat when offenses are struggling.

I'm thinking of Ackley and his burning through of three different batting stances already. I'm thinking of Montero suddenly without power. I'm thinking of Smoak suddenly without power. These are all new developments this year. If that is not on Hansen, then the htters aren't listening to him, which ultimately is also his fault because if he can't get the hitters to listen to him then he is useless

-I 100% agree on this one. The dude is fake. He puts up such a tough guy front and he is either disinterested or a fraud. I would love once for him to get a tossed out of a game just to show he has life. And honestly the whole accountability thing he preaches is BS. Guys dont need to earn their spots here. You can hit as bad as you want and Wedge hasnt shown the balls to bench anyone.

Saunders - looks like he's going to be a product of Safeco Field. I'm guessing he finishes with a 3.50 ERA at home and 5.50 ERA on the road. He's here one year. He won't be back, and he could be gone before August

-Spot on again couldnt have said it better myself, Vargas 2.0 I guess.

He's not as good as Vargas because he's going to tax the bullpen about 30 more innings this year than Vargas would have.

I will give Morse the benefit of the doubt because I think he needed to sit out a few more games with that wrist injury and I dont think hes a 100%. He was hitting well before the injury but now seems to trying to hard because no one around him is hitting.

Morse was swinging at a lot of bad pitches before he got hurt. If that doesn't change, he's basically going to be an all-or-nothing type hitter this year.

In my opinion its not too early to hit the panic button.

I haven't panicked since my wife was in labor in 2004. The team is what it is, terrible. And, I don't think it is too early to call it terrible. 3/5th or the rotation is bad and 4 of the 9 spots in the batting order feature guys who have been struggling to stay above the Mendoza line since 2011.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I know that feel Cotton, I pulled out my own rant on CBS before it got shut down. You're just a little more patient than me obviously.

Morse: Personally despite his low BA currently I think he is leaps and bounds better than any other hitter on this roster. I would be surprised to see him finish under 35+ and a .270 BA.

Wedge: I've tried to remain optimistic with this guy but I don't understand what it is people like so much about him. When we hired him I was curious as to why the Mariners hired a guy who was never very impressive in the first place. But I can't blame the Mariners struggles on him because there is only so much a manager can do when his players are playing like shit.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for Joey Cora to turn this thing around.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-15. 2-4 versus the lowly Houston Astros. This can't continue without some heads rolling. Replacing Ryan with Andino isn't exactly shaking things up. And, on a side note, Andino has managing to account for five outs in his first four at bats since taking over at SS (3 strikeouts and hitting into a double play). Attabay Robert.

I think the Wedge/Zdurenciek era is over. They'll keep Jack long to have him fire Wedge (probably late July or early August), then fire Jack after the season is over.

It's bad, guys. It's really bad. Even when this team does hit, they don't hit at the right time. We could be looking at a another 65-win team.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-15. 2-4 versus the lowly Houston Astros
Its not just that they are 2-4 vs the them. 3 of those 4 losses have been butt kickings.

All I know is screw Super 2 Status or whatever. If Hultzen is dominating AAA lets bring him up now and give him a shot. You cant convince Harang or Saunders are better options right now.

I love Raul but I hated the signing in the off-season, and you cannot put him out in the field. I wont even bring up how slow he looks at the plate. But you cannot but him out in the field anymore, its a joke. And with Morales you cant DH him either (not that he's hitting anyway). I have always loved him as an M but not now, not on this team. He needs to go.

We all know Wedge and Z arent the main problems, as problems lie above them. However Z has swung and missed on so many moves I cant really back him up. This organization hasnt developed a decent hitter since AROD. For guy that supposedly is a guru when it comes to evaluating talent, it simply isnt acceptable to have none of his guys pan out in year 5.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-15. 2-4 versus the lowly Houston Astros. This can't continue without some heads rolling. Replacing Ryan with Andino isn't exactly shaking things up. And, on a side note, Andino has managing to account for five outs in his first four at bats since taking over at SS (3 strikeouts and hitting into a double play). Attabay Robert.

I think the Wedge/Zdurenciek era is over. They'll keep Jack long to have him fire Wedge (probably late July or early August), then fire Jack after the season is over.

It's bad, guys. It's really bad. Even when this team does hit, they don't hit at the right time. We could be looking at a another 65-win team.

Somewhere I said that Saunders could be capable of 190 innings (Can't seem to find where).

I would just like to say just kidding to that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The blade just clicked on your profile out of curiosity and I lol'd pretty hard when I saw this:

Interests
trolling
Occupation
trolling

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The blade just clicked on your profile out of curiosity and I lol'd pretty hard when I saw this:

Interests
trolling
Occupation
trolling

You guys only see the kinder, gentler Blade. 90% of my posts are on 'the daily thread' in the MLB general discussion board.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-15. 2-4 versus the lowly Houston Astros

We all know Wedge and Z arent the main problems, as problems lie above them. However Z has swung and missed on so many moves I cant really back him up. This organization hasnt developed a decent hitter since AROD. For guy that supposedly is a guru when it comes to evaluating talent, it simply isnt acceptable to have none of his guys pan out in year 5.

I agree that it is getting harder and harder to stick with Z. He drafted Ack first, then got lucky with Seager. Brought in "the name that shall never be spoken", traded Fister, and took a chance on Smoak and Montero. I do think most people have no idea what a mess Bavisi left, so I give Z credit for getting the entire organization turned around and heading in the right direction. I just hope it pays off soon.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is where everyone went to rave about the M's?