• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

20/20 hindsight in the trade for Trubisky

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Pace was scorched for giving up so much in order to move up just one spot from the #3 slot and take Mitch Trubisky at #2? I'm not sure there was even one writer or pundit who didn't claim that Lynch killed it for the 49ers in that trade. I wasn't on the board back then, but I wouldn't be surprised if many in here thought the same way. I know I sure thought Pace got taken to the cleaners by giving up so much for just one spot - and wouldn't Trubisky still be there if he held firm and waited for the #3 slot?

Not sure if we'll ever know for certain that Pace had to act right then and there or risk some other team trading up (Browns?) to take Trubisky. But the point of this post and the link below is just how well did SF make out in their draft, which in part was fortified by the picks obtained from the Bears. For those of us who thought the Bears would and should hold their slot and use that first pick on DL Solomon Thomas, this story line should be of particular interest. There are a number of sub-stories here, so look for the #3 story down - a bit ironic, yes?

NFL Panic Index: The only thing the Panthers defense can stop is their playoff hopes

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proof Surfaces Two Teams Tried To Jump Bears For Mitch Trubisky

There is far more evidence to suggest he wouldn't have been there - than that he would have "for sure" been there. As many morons claimed in the immediate aftermath.

In the face of uncertainty - we made sure that we got our guy. Now, let's go get a Super Bowl with him and shut everyone up forever.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proof Surfaces Two Teams Tried To Jump Bears For Mitch Trubisky

There is far more evidence to suggest he wouldn't have been there - than that he would have "for sure" been there. As many morons claimed in the immediate aftermath.

In the face of uncertainty - we made sure that we got our guy. Now, let's go get a Super Bowl with him and shut everyone up forever.

Oh I've long been fine with Pace's move and the subsequent results, no problems at all. I'm just amazed at how poorly SF's picks have turned out, with TE George Kittle being the lone exception, especially when just about everyone pretty much crowned them for having the best draft that year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved the move up. Pace picked his guy and made dam sure he was gonna get him. That's what I wanted.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I've long been fine with Pace's move and the subsequent results, no problems at all. I'm just amazed at how poorly SF's picks have turned out, with TE George Kittle being the lone exception, especially when just about everyone pretty much crowned them for having the best draft that year.
A team with no QB passed on 3 good choices. They could have hit on those picks and still lose the trade. We got a franchise QB and they could have. SFs draft was a major blunder of strategy and now the picks turn out bad too. I thought from day one SF would look back and be sick.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Bear fans tend to always look at things prejudiced heavily in their favor. It's highly likely Trubisky would have been there at 3 and if not, who knows maybe we would have settled for Mahomes.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. Bear fans tend to always look at things prejudiced heavily in their favor. It's highly likely Trubisky would have been there at 3 and if not, who knows maybe we would have settled for Mahomes.

Outside looking in I agree.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, just might be. The cool part is we don't have to give a shit, and even better, the non-QB player many people thought the Bears were targeting was Thomas, who has been to date just this side of a bust. Soooooooo glad we did not take him, and truth be told, I was actually one of those who wanted the Bears to draft him and either try to find a QB in the 2nd round or wait until the following draft to grab one in the first. I thought at the time we could milk one more year out of Cutler.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, just might be. The cool part is we don't have to give a shit, and even better, the non-QB player many people thought the Bears were targeting was Thomas, who has been to date just this side of a bust. Soooooooo glad we did not take him, and truth be told, I was actually one of those who wanted the Bears to draft him and either try to find a QB in the 2nd round or wait until the following draft to grab one in the first. I thought at the time we could milk one more year out of Cutler.

It's water under the bridge now but there are numerous reports of people with inside information claiming the Bears were bidding against themselves. And if that's the case, Pace made a mistake plain and simple. You don't move up one spot to get a guy that would of been there at your spot despite how Trubisky turns out. We as fans are willing to forgive if Trubisky is a stud but that doesn't make it not a mistake. It just becomes a bearable mistake.

And Pace has been outstanding ever since.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are numerous reports of people with inside information claiming the Bears were bidding against themselves.

Link?

I mostly see reports of the Chiefs and Browns attempting to move up to #2 for Trubisky. Some within the Browns organization were lobbying to take him at #1 over Garrett. Schefter and other insiders were very clear about those reports.

But by all means - I'd love to see the other side

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does not matter that we moved up. It matters that Pace picked his guy at QB and went and made sure we got him. He was the real start of the rebuild and is why Nagy choose us over other teams. The move necessary or not ensured Pace of his guy.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Link?

I mostly see reports of the Chiefs and Browns attempting to move up to #2 for Trubisky. Some within the Browns organization were lobbying to take him at #1 over Garrett. Schefter and other insiders were very clear about those reports.

But by all means - I'd love to see the other side

Here's one:

Report: Bears were bidding against themselves in NFL draft trade with 49ers

There are none. #Bears were bidding against themselves on that one. Nobody was trying to move to 2 for Trubisky.

No. Nobody was paying the #49ers price for No. 2. San Fran shopped that pick HARD for a week solid and nobody was biting. Not even close.

And here are some others:

Why the Bears' draft trade is bad, even if Mitchell Trubisky ends up being good

Reports: Bears negotiated against selves, Fox not in loop on Trubisky decision

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does not matter that we moved up. It matters that Pace picked his guy at QB and went and made sure we got him. He was the real start of the rebuild and is why Nagy choose us over other teams. The move necessary or not ensured Pace of his guy.

It does matter we moved up, if we didn't have to to land Trubisky. I see your point of you admiring Pace for going out there and getting his guy but if Pace gets tricked like this over and over again it's detrimental to the teams success.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does matter we moved up, if we didn't have to to land Trubisky. I see your point of you admiring Pace for going out there and getting his guy but if Pace gets tricked like this over and over again it's detrimental to the teams success.

But he did not get tricked. He just made sure he got his guy. Maybe there was only a 3% chance Mitch would be gone. He made it 0%, he did not take the chance. Not a move I think you do outside of the QB position but if you think you see a franchise QB you make it.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he did not get tricked. He just made sure he got his guy. Maybe there was only a 3% chance Mitch would be gone. He made it 0%, he did not take the chance. Not a move I think you do outside of the QB position but if you think you see a franchise QB you make it.

The articles i pointed out indicate he got tricked. SF made him believe there were other teams trying to get the #2 pick when in reality this was false.

I know all this doesn't matter and no one knows for certain what the circumstances were so I'm going completely by the article.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me ask a general question then to the people who believe Pace still did the right thing.

If the article is correct and there were nobody else asking SF for the #2 and therefore Trubisky would have dropped to #3. Do you then still believe Pace did the right thing to move up to #2? That's the point i'm making

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, good for SF. They sure got a lot out of it.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, good for SF. They sure got a lot out of it.

It didn't turn out well for them but the real question is, what could Pace have done with those extra picks.

Given Pace's history, I bet he could have done real well with those extra picks.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't turn out well for them but the real question is, what could Pace have done with those extra picks.

Nothing's perfect. Like Noon, I like that he didn't risk losing his guy.

This team is pretty stacked with talent. I'd say he's done an admirable job, all things considered.

At this pace(pun intended) it could be arguable soon, that he's the best GM we've had in some time.