• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2) Phoenix Suns vs 7) LA Lakers

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao you are talking about people already in place throughout every single organization. It starts with scouting.
But why? Why would a scout ignore obvious power in a swing because another guy may or may not bat a different way that all metrics say is less succesful? Even if what youre saying would make makes sense and win more games, thats a big if, youre still talking about fundamentally changing the way scouting is done and thats far from simple.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 153,623.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the topic at hand, go Suns

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does anyone think, that at least for the playoffs- that Schroeder will be as good or better than Rondo was for the Lakers last year? I certainly dont.

I dont think Drummond and or Gasol will be as good as Howard was last year either.

Schroder could be better than Rondo if he came off the bench. I still have faith he could come around and eventually gel with Lebron and AD but they need to find some chemistry quick.

Drummond is a terrible fit on this team. Did you like him at all on the Cavs? I'm not sure in what capacity Drummond could contribute to any team in a positive way. With Gasol's ability to spread the floor, I think he can end up being more useful than Howard this season, Howard also had a tendency to make a lot of stupid plays and fouls in the game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're talking about a season-ending honors list suggesting the best fictional team of players from the league, then just list the MVP candidates. Lazy.

Yeah, after all, it's not like players have evolved the game to the point where you have guys like KD and AD who can handle the ball like point guards, shoot like shooting guards and run the floor like small forwards all while being 7 feet tall.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does anyone think, that at least for the playoffs- that Schroeder will be as good or better than Rondo was for the Lakers last year? I certainly dont.

I dont think Drummond and or Gasol will be as good as Howard was last year either.

Better? No.

Have a similar impact in a different way? Yes.

He's not going to run the offense like Rondo. Rondo even ran the offense some of the time when Lebron was on the floor. I don't see Schroder doing that.

But his speed and quickness allows him to make plays and defend like Rondo used to.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why? Why would a scout ignore obvious power in a swing because another guy may or may not bat a different way that all metrics say is less succesful? Even if what youre saying would make makes sense and win more games, thats a big if, youre still talking about fundamentally changing the way scouting is done and thats far from simple.

It's not about ignoring obvious power. It's about players having more than one tool in the toolbox.

Which is better....the guy who hits 40 home runs with a batting average in the .250's? Or the guy who hits 35 home runs with a .280 batting average?

There are too many guys who aren't embarrassed to strike out.

It's like the discussion earlier about the shift. Want to get rid of the shift? Start teaching guys to hit to all fields again. Have a guy hit a sharp grounder to the part of the field that's wide open and teams will shift out of the shift.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schroder could be better than Rondo if he came off the bench. I still have faith he could come around and eventually gel with Lebron and AD but they need to find some chemistry quick.

Drummond is a terrible fit on this team. Did you like him at all on the Cavs?
People forget, but the CAvs actually started off pretty decent and Drummond was a huge part of that. Of course in Clevealnd his role was completely different than in LAL.

eventually Drummond seemed to fall back into old habits of not passing and dominating the ball and clogging the lane. There is a reason why the CAvs barely had to give up anything to get him and no one would trade for him at the deadline.

I know that LeBron operates best surrounded by shooters, and with clear driving lanes- and Drummond cant shoot and clogs driving lanes.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about ignoring obvious power. It's about players having more than one tool in the toolbox.

Which is better....the guy who hits 40 home runs with a batting average in the .250's? Or the guy who hits 35 home runs with a .280 batting average?

There are too many guys who aren't embarrassed to strike out.

It's like the discussion earlier about the shift. Want to get rid of the shift? Start teaching guys to hit to all fields again. Have a guy hit a sharp grounder to the part of the field that's wide open and teams will shift out of the shift.
I never argued these facts. I argued that it would be an "easy fix" to bring the game back to fundamentals, because it wont.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been thinking about this and it just occurred to me why I don’t like Andre Drummond.

You know when you are playing a pick up game and there are 4 players who understand basic principles of pass, cut, screen, and floor balance but 1 who doesn’t? That 1 player is constantly getting in the way and screwing up the offensive flow for everyone else.

Drummond is that guy. He just finds ways to be in the wrong place and it messes up everyone’s flow.

It isn’t about “learning the offense” either. He has been there long enough Andre Drummond just doesn’t have any court sense. If you have court sense you can integrate with anybody fairly quickly.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Drummond is a terrible fit on this team. Did you like him at all on the Cavs? I'm not sure in what capacity Drummond could contribute to any team in a positive way. With Gasol's ability to spread the floor, I think he can end up being more useful than Howard this season, Howard also had a tendency to make a lot of stupid plays and fouls in the game.
I liked the deal to get Drummond as low risk (other than Gilbert's money). But I was glad to see him go.....that said, wont surprise me if he helps in some games this postseason.

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been thinking about this and it just occurred to me why I don’t like Andre Drummond.

You know when you are playing a pick up game and there are 4 players who understand basic principles of pass, cut, screen, and floor balance but 1 who doesn’t? That 1 player is constantly getting in the way and screwing up the offensive flow for everyone else.

Drummond is that guy. He just finds ways to be in the wrong place and it messes up everyone’s flow.

It isn’t about “learning the offense” either. He has been there long enough Andre Drummond just doesn’t have any court sense. If you have court sense you can integrate with anybody fairly quickly.

You nailed it. His bbiq is low. I'm surprised Lebron or AD hasn't snapped at him more. I know when I played pickup ball way back in the day, I would get frustrated with guys like Drummond.

AD2022MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the deal to get Drummond as low risk (other than Gilbert's money). But I was glad to see him go.....that said, wont surprise me if he helps in some games this postseason.
Why are you glad to see him go? A lot of the Cavs fans were complaining that his rebound numbers were artificially high because he rebounds so many of his own misses so his stats don't reflect his impact.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you glad to see him go? A lot of the Cavs fans were complaining that his rebound numbers were artificially high because he rebounds so many of his own misses so his stats don't reflect his impact.
That's one reason......just a black hole on offense. He'd exhaust every chance to shoot before giving up the ball.

I cannot recall the exact quote but think a scout said something like "he's a guy that could go for 30 and 20 and not do much to help your team win"

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's one reason......just a black hole on offense. He'd exhaust every chance to shoot before giving up the ball.

I cannot recall the exact quote but think a scout said something like "he's a guy that could go for 30 and 20 and not do much to help your team win"

Yeah, that's what I've seen and it's one of the reasons I'm not really impressed with him. The other being that he can't catch.

To be fair to him though, I wish that Lebron and AD had been able to come back sooner. Based on what he said coming in, he was on board with being here for defense and rebounding. But with Lebron and AD out, he was basically it as far as scoring in the paint (he and Harrell), so he reverted back to what he was doing in Cleveland.

Like I said a couple of days ago, going into the playoffs is a tough time to be trying to integrate a guy. I know the Lakers want him to have a bigger role, but with how little time they've had to work him in, Vogel may just have to start using him situationally like he did Dwight and Javale.