• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2) Phoenix Suns vs 7) LA Lakers

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball isn't positionless. Basketball is

We're talking about a season-ending honors list suggesting the best fictional team of players from the league, then just list the MVP candidates. Lazy.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuzma still on 1 attempt. This guy isn't good

He's so frustrating. Some games he's aggressive and really comes to play. Then you have games like today, where he just moves the ball and might as well not be on the court.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns deserve to win this one. They came out fighting and the Lakers just look soft

Lakers probably viewed a 7 game series as less pressure than they were under trying to stay in the playoff picture down the stretch, then with the play-in games. Not saying it was appropriate, but they can get home court by taking 1 of the first 2, and a series doesn't really start until the home team loses a game....any more cliches for me to use lol?

I don't understand the usage of AD. He was an afterthought early. Last year, everything went through AD early to force the other team's hand. He just put 42 on this team a few weeks ago.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ayton is the best big then Lakers are in trouble. He's been so much better than the Lakers bigs
A lot of that production was on lobs. Lakers defense seemed lazy on switching and transitition, often with Lebron the one caught looking at the ball.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No just a virtually hitter free sport
It's 1968 again, time to change the rules again. Start with eliminating the shift.
@thunderc

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,130.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Gasol probably struggles a little more trying to guard Ayton. But I guess the positives are that he shouldn't be having to guard him out to the 3 point line and Gasol can draw Ayton out to the perimeter and open up more space for Lebron, AD, etc.

And whatever they do, they need to get Morris some minutes.
I was thinking the same thing. Ayton's range is rather limited, he plays close to the basket.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,130.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more upset with his substitution patterns. The game was very even to start, then he starts pulling starters well before Phoenix did. Of course, Phoenix immediately goes on a run which the Lakers never really recovered from.
Yeah, that's my main complaint with Vogel.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 153,623.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just
It's 1968 again, time to change the rules again. Start with eliminating the shift.
I think that would be a huge mistake. The only thing wrong with baseball is no one seems to care about anything but home runs. Getting on base used to mean something, that’s baseball to me. Hit it where it’s pitched and realize home runs aren’t for everyone. Probkem can be fixed very easily.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,130.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's so frustrating. Some games he's aggressive and really comes to play. Then you have games like today, where he just moves the ball and might as well not be on the court.
Overall, he played well when AD and James were out, but he struggles to fit in with them at times.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vogel is really dumb in how he plays him. They needed to pick Drummond up because they did need another Center past Gasol who does have short comings and was a little dinged up. But Vogel keeps playing Drummond starter minutes and it doesn't work at all. Every line up fails. He's DNPing Gasol. Trezz got his minutes cut. Kief is getting DNP'd. All to force Drummond into a starter's role when all he's needed for is situational roles. Gasol needs to play more, specifically when Lebron rests because Gasol's passing ability (the one thing he's still good at in his old age) keeps things moving along. Davis needs to be the 5 most of the time and he should be playing next to Kief or Kuz or Trez if he's playing well. Drummond really should be getting like 10 to 12 mins max and in some games, he should be DNP'd. He should be filling the McGee/Howard role from last year but Vogel is foolishly using him like he's some all star center.

It's one game against a team with a 7ft center (albeit a much more agile one). McGee/Howard got minutes early in last years' playoffs and were essentially benched later on in favor of AD at the 5 and Morris. Hopefully Vogel adjusts from here like he did last year.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that would be a huge mistake. The only thing wrong with baseball is no one seems to care about anything but home runs. Getting on base used to mean something, that’s baseball to me. Hit it where it’s pitched and realize home runs aren’t for everyone. Probkem can be fixed very easily.
Not really no. The problem is pitchers are too good. Pitching keeps improving, more pitches, more velocity, more relievers. Hitting there's not much you can do to improve it. Babe Ruth didn't have to face the stuff hitters see today. And the shift is new and it's not necessary.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's one game against a team with a 7ft center (albeit a much more agile one). McGee/Howard got minutes early in last years' playoffs and were essentially benched later on in favor of AD at the 5 and Morris. Hopefully Vogel adjusts from here like he did last year.

It's not just one game though. They've been playing him this way since they got him. Gasol has been phased out completely, only getting in games if someone is hurt. Kief had his role cut dramatically as well.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 153,623.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really no. The problem is pitchers are too good. Pitching keeps improving, more pitches, more velocity, more relievers. Hitting there's not much you can do to improve it. Babe Ruth didn't have to face the stuff hitters see today. And the shift is new and it's not necessary.
I understand the argument but I vehemently disagree. Randy Johnson would average 14 ks in this swing happy atmosphere. There is not a Johnson or Clemens in this league, he’s not there. Play the game the right way and take what you are given and things get better in a hurry. I think the league admitted that is needed by dejuicing the ball a bit finally.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the argument but I vehemently disagree. Randy Johnson would average 14 ks in this swing happy atmosphere. There is not a Johnson or Clemens in this league, he’s not there. Play the game the right way and take what you are given and things get better in a hurry. I think the league admitted that is needed by dejuicing the ball a bit finally.
There are many pitchers that are future HOFers today. No there's not a 6'10" freak lefty but the breadth of great pitching is evident. They changed things in 1968 they can do it again. And getting rid of the shift means more base hits...one reason everyone goes for the home run is there's no way to defend it

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 153,623.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many pitchers that are future HOFers today. No there's not a 6'10" freak lefty but the breadth of great pitching is evident. They changed things in 1968 they can do it again. And getting rid of the shift means more base hits...one reason everyone goes for the home run is there's no way to defend it
Tell Pete rose you could leave a giant hole and dare him to hit it there. Nothing wrong with the shift, it’s the going ahead and trying to pull the ball that is completely ignorant. Small ball fixes this in my opinion

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@thunderc

They could, but the players themselves could force it out of use. Some bunts down the third base line by lefty hitters would do the trick. The defense is essentially daring the hitters to punch one to the opposite field. Professional hitters should be able to do so. Stop worrying about launch angles and exit velocity and hit 'em where they ain't...

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could, but the players themselves could force it out of use. Some bunts down the third base line by lefty hitters would do the trick. The defense is essentially daring the hitters to punch one to the opposite field. Professional hitters should be able to do so. Stop worrying about launch angles and exit velocity and hit 'em where they ain't...
This has been said for years and teams aren't doing it. Don't they want to win?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just one game though. They've been playing him this way since they got him. Gasol has been phased out completely, only getting in games if someone is hurt. Kief had his role cut dramatically as well.
It's one playoff game. That's when Vogel made the change last year, not during the regular season. Morris and Gasol could split those center minutes (and it could be them or AD that actually plays/defends the post).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been said for years and teams aren't doing it. Don't they want to win?
The group think is overwhelming I guess? Kinda like the 3 pointers at all costs in the NBA? I was never a pull power hitter in high school or youth ball, so bunting and just putting the ball in play holds more interest to me than these guys aiming for the seats on every swing.