• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 1st round: 4) LA Clippers vs 5) Dallas Mavs

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars a year. Even the MLE level guys aren't going to give a shit about state income taxes. Even those wealthy golfers lonestar is talking about, have ridiculously expensive homes is places like the Upper West Side or Malibu.

Some folks confuse the fact that super wealthy people like Trump claim residence in places like Florida as evidence of rich people choosing low tax states over high tax states. But the reality is that those super wealthy people have many homes and then choose their domicile to be the best tax option even though they spend their time all over the place. Which is a completely rational act for them.

OTOH, if you are a 26 year super star athlete, you aren't looking to live in a lovely ranch outside of El Paso. You want a place in South Beach, SoHo, and whatever the cool neighborhood of LA is(not an LA guy)

Exactly, on these boards, we've all had a few discussions wondering why the Mavs can't ever get any top name players despite seemingly having everything a young star athlete could ask for.

Additionally, if I remember what I was told correctly, these guys aren't paying California taxes on all of their income anyway. If I recall correctly, they pay the taxes of the state a game is played in for those games.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

That article is 4 years old. Just since that article...Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard and Paul George have all chosen to come to LA over Texas. Mookie Betts and Trevor Bauer also came to LA.

Remind me who the last big name player who chose to go to Dallas was. In fact, here on the NBA boards, we've had several discussions over the years trying to figure out why big name players don't choose Dallas. Hell, the Rockets got CP3, James Harden and Russell Westbrook...they all left.

Nice try...but fail.

Somehow Joe Flacco is something something.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, on these boards, we've all had a few discussions wondering why the Mavs can't ever get any top name players despite seemingly having everything a young star athlete could ask for.

Additionally, if I remember what I was told correctly, these guys aren't paying California taxes on all of their income anyway. If I recall correctly, they pay the taxes of the state a game is played in for those games.

Yeah. This is definitely true as well.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But the endorsement deals and stuff are taxed where they live. Still, taxes mean a lot less to these guys than Lonestar thinks

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Hell.

You claimed that top level PGA players make a 100 million plus. Your link makes no reference to it. You then referenced Tiger at his peak making 100+ million a year. 15 years ago.

You're not good at this.
No I said Phil & Tiger. Laid out what the avg golfer makes & the avg NBA/MLB player makes. Then I linked and quoted the article from golf link website

TheLonestarDUCK

Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did Joe Flacco become a professional golfer?
The point was athletes do take into consideration states that do not have an income tax. I put the article out there where Cuban talks about John Daniel’s talks about and a few athletes were discussed. I threw out there Tiger & Phil because they are the obvious ones that moved away from CA to FL, taxes was a big factor in their decision.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn’t my point. You’ll have to ask the other poster about that. My point is/was golfers take up residence in non state income states.

as far as income between the athletes here is what I found with a quick search.

“An average pro golfer will earn more than $2 million a year as a competitor and will have the opportunities to earn at least as much away from the course. The top-name golfers on tour can earn more than $100 million per year.”

Avg MLB player makes 4.7
Avg NBA player makes 8.9

The avg MLB/NBA players make more than the avg PGA golfer. But the top of the PGA with endorsements is as high or higher.

Irrelevant to this conversation.

A golfer is on his own. He doesn’t have to consider the franchise he is choosing to play when choosing where to live.

The opportunity to play for a top organization is ALWAYS going to trump any tax considerations.

Always.

Now, maybe if all other things are equal, the player would pick Dallas over LA because of taxes. That is really as far as it goes though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is okay though.

The Mavs can sign Joe Flacco.

That will prove that everyone wants to play in Texas!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point was athletes do take into consideration states that do not have an income tax. I put the article out there where Cuban talks about John Daniel’s talks about and a few athletes were discussed. I threw out there Tiger & Phil because they are the obvious ones that moved away from CA to FL, taxes was a big factor in their decision.

You have yet to provide a single quote where either of them said that taxes are why they live where they do.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I said Phil & Tiger. Laid out what the avg golfer makes & the avg NBA/MLB player makes. Then I linked and quoted the article from golf link website

Tiger made a 100+ million at the peak of his career. No other golfer did. Lefty is a distant 2nd in that regard. No golfer today comes close to that.

Lebron James, otoh, makes 39 million in salary and about 50 million in endorsements. And yet he chose to live in the Peoples Republic of California. Weird, huh?

TheLonestarDUCK

Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talking golf on an NBA thread?

No. Lonestar Duck thinks that rich athletes stay away from California because of taxes. So, I asked him to find some who have stated that they didn't come to California or come to a California based pro team because of taxes. He found one.

Of course, he also thinks that golfers make as much as NBA players. Sooooo...

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team can't contain Luka at all