• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1st and 2nd round draft picks

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we wanted to roll the dice on Murray, I think he would be there in the 3rd... but I think McCarron in the 2nd is the best bet for us..

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my dream scenario would be cut or restructure Finnegan, use those savings to get a solid S to help out with Stewart and McDonald - maybe Byrd, Wright or Whitner.

Resign Saffold at OG, and keep the line intact for next year. Nothing helps a line like continuity.

Draft Barr at OLB if at all possible - him, Ogletree and Laruinitis could be the best LB corps the Rams have ever had in a couple of years. We are currently at #6 but there's a decent chance that we'll draft closer to the top as Washington continues to stumble, and Barr might slide a bit if there's a run on QBs at the top of the draft.

At #14 or so (where I expect us to draft) Nix has a good chance of being there at DT.

Take the best available OL in the 2nd round (Corey Robinson, Cyril Richardson, James Hurst). Finish out with depth picks at RB and CB.

That would be a huge uprade in talent in the front 7, bringing it from very good to dominating, a veteran leader at safety, and depth at OL. Keep Bradford, and let him develop with all that talent at WR.

That would be a team that could thump with Seattle and San Fran year in and year out.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Aaron Murray! Dude has no arm at all. If you want your QB throwing floaters, then by all means. Waste the 3rd round pick!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ76, several of the mocks have us taking Lewan at 6 and Barr, the LB at 12. We have a number of scenarios of Olineman and a WR or LB in the first which I'd be satisfied with even if Matthews isn't there at 6. The worst first round would be if we take a QB and a WR and miss the opportunity to improve the team at O-line and LB. I hope we don't screw this one up too badly.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft Barr at OLB if at all possible - him, Ogletree and Laruinitis could be
the best LB corps the Rams have ever had in a couple of years. We are
currently at #6 but there's a decent chance that we'll draft closer to the top
as Washington continues to stumble, and Barr might slide a bit if there's a run
on QBs at the top of the draft.

At #14 or so (where I expect us to
draft) Nix has a good chance of being there at DT.

Are you looking at stats or watching games? Why O Why would we use our 2 top picks on defense, when our offense continues to struggle. And when I say struggle, I mean - look at the games early this year with Bradford. Look at how much we scored in the 1st half. Our D was behind BIG and early! Sure they weren't great early on as well, but they have clearly gotten better.

I see no point trying to improve the defensive unit that drastically. We need to use at least if not both of those picks on offense. This offense has struggled, especially in the red zone for years. This year was starting to get better, but you can go back and look at the games.

And the safety from Bama Nix is out for the year now I believe. Again, how are our safeties doing now? Seems the D is stout and helping us stay in games, so shouldn't we try to make our offense more potent?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodney McLeod has quietly started to play pretty well. Against the Colts, he had a very solid game. Plus this week, MacDonald is due back. I don't think we need to panic about the Safety position because although Cody Davis is playing primarily on special teams, the articles I have read indicate that he'll be a keeper and may see some time at Safety in the near future. If we continue to employ Finnegan at Safety in the nickel and these other guys keep getting better, we don't need to rush out and get a Safety unless we can get say a Byrd for little bucks or pick-up Ha-Ha as a BPA scenario in the draft.

Also, we still have Dunbar and he is probably going to re-sign with us as he has stated he does not want to play anywhere else so we don't need to take Barr when we have offense needs like say a Lewan/Matthews/Kouandijo at tackle and Wadkins at WR.

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you looking at stats or watching games? Why O Why would we use our 2 top picks on defense, when our offense continues to struggle. And when I say struggle, I mean - look at the games early this year with Bradford. Look at how much we scored in the 1st half. Our D was behind BIG and early! Sure they weren't great early on as well, but they have clearly gotten better.

I see no point trying to improve the defensive unit that drastically. We need to use at least if not both of those picks on offense. This offense has struggled, especially in the red zone for years. This year was starting to get better, but you can go back and look at the games.

And the safety from Bama Nix is out for the year now I believe. Again, how are our safeties doing now? Seems the D is stout and helping us stay in games, so shouldn't we try to make our offense more potent?

Nix is out for the year, but he's a DT from Notre Dame, not a S from Alabama. Dix is playing now, but suffered a 2 game suspension earlier in the year.

I think our O is going to be OK, because I attribute its problems not to a lack of talent but a lack of development. We are starting 1st years and rookies at WR, our oldest WR is a 3rd year player, and he's the one with the least talent. Givens, Austin, and Quick are going to be good ones IMO, Bailey certainly could be, and Cook and Kendricks are a very good TE tandem.

Our line played like @ss the first 4 games - hence no running game. They've come together and are playing well. The more time they have together, just like the WRs, the better they will do. Again, there's a good amount of talent there, but they do need some depth.

We obviously differ on Bradford. You want to throw a dart and see if we get a franchise QB, I want to develop the one we have. Without any running game at all he had a 90.6 rating and was having his best year. I expect that to improve. He just needs to be realistic about his contract, and I tend to think that will happen.

Of course, we have no idea what the evaluations on the talent will be before the combine, and we know our team goes its own way on that anyway.

The one thing we DON'T need is another raw as hell WR who is going to take 3 years to come around. We've got plenty of those, all of whom look like they have great upside. You want to talk about a veteran WR to teach all these raw WRs, then I'm all ears. Drafting yet another WR? Why? WR take time to develop. Let the ones we have develop. We carry 5 regularly - 4 of them are Rookies or 1st years. The other one is a 3rd year, and he can't consistently get the job done. Quick and Givens should be starting next year, with Austin in the slot and popping up in the backfield now and then and Bailey mixing in. Quick brings an added dimension like Art Monk did - he wipes D backs opening up running lanes.

Great DL rotations win championships - look at the Giants pulling off those two huge upsets. If Dix's knee means he loses pop there's other options there, and we'll know by the combine. Barr is the best athlete available - he's a potential Derrick Brooks or Bobby Bell. Pair him with Ogletree, we get turnovers. Turnovers are the single biggest key to winning.

Will that be what happens? Almost certainly not, lol. But its fun to think about. I wouldn't mind a 3rd or 4th round developmental QB, but unless Bradford demands his full contract, I wouldn't waste anything higher than that. When these kids learn how to run their routes and our line can open some holes for the backs (like they are doing now) he'll show as a quality NFL starter.

demiurge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodney McLeod has quietly started to play pretty well. Against the Colts, he had a very solid game. Plus this week, MacDonald is due back. I don't think we need to panic about the Safety position because although Cody Davis is playing primarily on special teams, the articles I have read indicate that he'll be a keeper and may see some time at Safety in the near future. If we continue to employ Finnegan at Safety in the nickel and these other guys keep getting better, we don't need to rush out and get a Safety unless we can get say a Byrd for little bucks or pick-up Ha-Ha as a BPA scenario in the draft.

Also, we still have Dunbar and he is probably going to re-sign with us as he has stated he does not want to play anywhere else so we don't need to take Barr when we have offense needs like say a Lewan/Matthews/Kouandijo at tackle and Wadkins at WR.

Dunbar is OK, Barr has the ability to be far better than OK. Dunbar is also a drug suspension risk, if you'll recall. Dunbar is the guy you are OK with going in, but the GM is always looking to upgrade.

I've already stated why I think yet another high pick at WR is a mistake. We've got talent there.

OT I would be fine with if they went that route, but Barksdale is holding his own and doesn't have a significant off field problem like Dunbar.

We've got a lot of guys at RB. I'm not sure if Stacey is the long term answer, though I like him. I don't expect Richardson to be. An investment there would be good, but there aren't too many premier backs any more. Running back by committee is fine by me. Most of the ranking services don't even have a back projected in the 1st round.

I've got a lot more optimism about our O than you guys seem to. I don't expect it to dominate right now. I expect it to continue to get better over time. The D was supposed to be a strength this year, and so far hasn't been.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our O is going to be OK, because I attribute its problems not to a lack
of talent but a lack of development. We are starting 1st years and rookies at
WR, our oldest WR is a 3rd year player, and he's the one with the least talent.
Givens, Austin, and Quick are going to be good ones IMO, Bailey certainly could
be, and Cook and Kendricks are a very good TE tandem.

We seem to say this every year and every year have offense issues. Not trying to be negative nancy, but the truth hurts. We do have talent, but is it a lack of a #1 WR or is it a QB issue? Because what I have witnessed the past few years is not good on offense.

It's actually been the defense keeping us in games.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I look at the Rams' weaknesses, I see a hole in the offense and lack of 1st half production.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look back and laugh at some threads in 2013, 14, 15. We were so shitty that we would be looking at the draft in November. :L

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then see I see the first rounders over the years.

Aaron Donald and Gurley

Goff we gave up some picks for
Brockers
Ogletree
Tavon
G Rob

It’s a dam crap shoot. I see 1 great player here. Thanks Fisher!!