• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

18 game season

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry jones is again championing an 18 game season and 2 game preseason

I think he is right, and he is planning on bringing it up as part of the collective bargaining agreement with the players association.

I have been a fan of this for awhile as well, but from a health and 'what it means to the team' stand point. I never really considered the financial side, and it makes a lot of sense for this as well. It would do 2 things -- it would be a reason to expand the cap. adding 2 games would add a lot of revenue to the game which should add a minimum of 11% to the cap as well. This would justify the increasing salaries for players as well. season ticket prices... NFL ticket... everything associated with it would likely have a bump. And you can likely bet it will increase more than 11% to the consumer and advertising. It's a win/win for both players and owners - it's just a matter of them fighting over who gets how much of the new piece of pie.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just 1 question.
What's the maximum limit to the number of games?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a good point on the economics Dawk. And that sets up negotiation with the players well.

All that said I’m still not a fan. This game is suffering from a dilution of talent in spots as it is. And I don’t mean total players (it’s not adding teams, but games). Adding games adds injury frequencies that some positions like OL currently struggle with as it is.

Then again....if it kills preseason games that might be a wash.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the next question might be..... do they need to increase the roster size? Or does the PS and various PUP lists accommodate that?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the next question might be..... do they need to increase the roster size? Or does the PS and various PUP lists accommodate that?

That’s an immediate question for me.

I read some more of what Jones is advancing yesterday and I’m more apt to calling bullshit here. He also tried to advance that players get hurt more in preseason games than in regular season. Can’t wrap around that at all.

So I will just stick to the roster question. Yes, they would need to go up in my view, even if it’s something like 57 players and an increase to PUP. PS should likely stay about the same.

For me it just highlights more that this is not a game that needs more games now. I don’t see this being a winning move in the end.

However, money has always dictated this game and as long as there is still gobs of it out there I think it’s just a matter of time until the owners get what they want.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea, but only if the league allows teams to expand their rosters and dress more players game day. I heard on the radio earlier this morning one coach propose that teams be allowed to do more joint-team practices during TC to make up for preseason game evaluations.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that has to include playoffs... then right into week 1 after the Super Bowl.

that's why it's called the max limit. ;)

how many QB's do you think a roster would need?? lol

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's why it's called the max limit. ;)

how many QB's do you think a roster would need?? lol

I think the roster limits would have to increase to make 4 QBs easier. Some teams carry four now, but just to make it easier to.

More important to me is roster sizes allowing for carrying much more lineman on each side of the ball, above all else. And that’s the rub here. There is already a pretty serious dearth of quality big men. That just gets exacerbated more with more games and roster sizes.

As an Eagles fan if worries me less as this team values the positions right for such an expansion. I just don’t think it helps the overall game and the lineman depth is a prime example of how even two more regular season games can further water the sport down. Unfortunately the sound of cash registers will drown that out.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the roster limits would have to increase to make 4 QBs easier. Some teams carry four now, but just to make it easier to.

More important to me is roster sizes allowing for carrying much more lineman on each side of the ball, above all else. And that’s the rub here. There is already a pretty serious dearth of quality big men. That just gets exacerbated more with more games and roster sizes.

As an Eagles fan if worries me less as this team values the positions right for such an expansion. I just don’t think it helps the overall game and the lineman depth is a prime example of how even two more regular season games can further water the sport down. Unfortunately the sound of cash registers will drown that out.

Yes, but you have players wanting to be paid more and more and more. Nevermind the ridiculous salaries they already get. With a fixed cap, something has to give. I don't see the US being able to support additional teams for expansion. Teams are already moving from one location to another.

I think the future of the NFL is global expansion. One day we will see a foreign team. I could see them adding 2 games to the season, and a few global expansion teams. The London Pooh Bears, Mexican Chiwawas, Brazil Nuts and Canadian Moose. Funniest part is, they will all still probably beat the browns. LOL Travel expenses in scheduling would likely be the toughest aspect. NFL might need to invest in their own planes. But the cap needs to go up to handle the increased salaries. Personally, I have always been a fan of paying salaries more along the line of production and incentives than anything else.

Here is an interesting Graph of NFL fans outside the US

OMG... this is funny as chit..... I have to admit... this does make the commentary in the US sound cold... This is a must see - Brazilian commentary on NFL game via ESPN. LOL

Last edited:

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns will get better this year, and I prdiect they will win their division next year.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never be in favor of an 18 game schedule.
16 is perfect. 2 more games won't tell me anything more than 16 will.

It's BS they charge full price for preseason games.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never be in favor of an 18 game schedule.
16 is perfect. 2 more games won't tell me anything more than 16 will.

It's BS they charge full price for preseason games.

does 16 games tell you anything more than 14 would??

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does 16 games tell you anything more than 14 would??

I can’t answer for someone else. But since I fully agree that 16 games tells me all I need to know I will toss in two cents....

I actually feel that 14 games would make an optimal season. Of course economics will not make it happen. But it’s what I feel.