• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

18 Game Season Proposed to NFLPA, but with 16 Game Limits

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight. These greedy bastards want to fill their stadiums and their coffers with 2 extra games but want to water down the product with back-ups. Is that about the gist of this proposal?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me get this straight. These greedy bastards want to fill their stadiums and their coffers with 2 extra games but want to water down the product with back-ups. Is that about the gist of this proposal?
Pretty much.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, what happens if a team is 8-8, having played the starter for 16 games, and then has to put in the back-up for 2 crucial games?

If they do 18 games, I like the 2-bye week option and play whomever you want.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, what happens if a team is 8-8, having played the starter for 16 games, and then has to put in the back-up for 2 crucial games?

If they do 18 games, I like the 2-bye week option and play whomever you want.

Exactly.
You bench your starter against the Cardinals and they take offense and whoop your ass. You play the Patriots in NE and do you put in all your backups because you’ll probably lose anyway? I don’t like it.
Do you just extend the season, play 18 and have two bye weeks. Who knows but the longer you make it, the healthiest teams win, not necessarily the best.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking stupid. The number of games is perfect. If you're going to do something like this just add another week in the season for 18 total and then give every team two bye weeks. Still 16 games per team.

Really easy solution. IDK why they gotta try to fuck everything up here.

Yes, you do. We all do. Greed.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers president Mark Murphy proposes a 17-game season.

The Packers president would like to see the NFL add just one game to the regular season schedule, but with a twist.

"There's some things that we can do in the season structure that would allow us to play more games at neutral sites, either internationally or non-NFL cities that would help us grow the game," Murphy said, via The Athletic.

To put that in layman's terms, Murphy would prefer a 17-game schedule with that extra game being played as a neutral site game or an international game. Basically, that means every team in the league would either play at a neutral site or an international site every year.

If the NFL were to go with Murphy's proposal, that would likely allow the league to let more cities around the world host an international games. If there are 16 international games per year, it wouldn't be crazy to see China, Germany or Brazil hosting a game at some point.

With neutral site games, it's possible we could see NFL teams play at college stadiums. The Lions could play at the Big House in Ann Arbor or a Bengals-Browns game could potentially be played at Ohio State. As Murphy mentioned, the NFL could also put neutral games in non-NFL cities, which would potentially open the door for places like San Antonio and Portland to host one game per year.

Although players seem to hate the 18-game proposal, the 17-game idea seems to be gaining traction.

Murphy would also like to see the NFL shorten its preseason.

"We're looking at the overall structure of the season, and quite honestly, our preseason is not very good," Murphy said.

As for the 18-game proposal, Murphy is adamantly against that.

"I would be very concerned about the health and safety aspects of adding two regular season games,"Murphy said. "And so I think there's a number of things we're looking at."

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith is also adamantly against an 18-game schedule, which means the NFL might want to start seriously thinking about Murphy's plan as a compromise.

"I don't see an 18-game schedule -- under any circumstance -- being in the best interest of our players," Smith said Friday, via ESPN.com. "If somebody wants to make an 18-game proposal, we'll look at it. I haven't seen anything that makes me think that it would be good for the players."

One other thing that could be coming to the NFL in 2021 is an expanded playoff system, which is something the league's owners will likely also be pushing in negotiations.

"I think also…(is) the possibility of expanding the playoffs," Murphy said. "I think that could be a positive for the league."

The current CBA doesn't expire until after the 2020 season, which means once the two sides agree to a new deal that may or may not include an expanded regular season, it won't take effect until 2021.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do these owners share a collective head injury? Dumb idea.

Does the NFL want to make more money? You can start with NFL Sunday Ticket. The contract with DirecTV is up at the end of this or next season. Instead of having it with DirecTV or Comcast...etc. Make it available to every provider.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers president Mark Murphy proposes a 17-game season.

The Packers president would like to see the NFL add just one game to the regular season schedule, but with a twist.

"There's some things that we can do in the season structure that would allow us to play more games at neutral sites, either internationally or non-NFL cities that would help us grow the game," Murphy said, via The Athletic.

To put that in layman's terms, Murphy would prefer a 17-game schedule with that extra game being played as a neutral site game or an international game. Basically, that means every team in the league would either play at a neutral site or an international site every year.

If the NFL were to go with Murphy's proposal, that would likely allow the league to let more cities around the world host an international games. If there are 16 international games per year, it wouldn't be crazy to see China, Germany or Brazil hosting a game at some point.

With neutral site games, it's possible we could see NFL teams play at college stadiums. The Lions could play at the Big House in Ann Arbor or a Bengals-Browns game could potentially be played at Ohio State. As Murphy mentioned, the NFL could also put neutral games in non-NFL cities, which would potentially open the door for places like San Antonio and Portland to host one game per year.

Although players seem to hate the 18-game proposal, the 17-game idea seems to be gaining traction.

Murphy would also like to see the NFL shorten its preseason.

"We're looking at the overall structure of the season, and quite honestly, our preseason is not very good," Murphy said.

As for the 18-game proposal, Murphy is adamantly against that.

"I would be very concerned about the health and safety aspects of adding two regular season games,"Murphy said. "And so I think there's a number of things we're looking at."

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith is also adamantly against an 18-game schedule, which means the NFL might want to start seriously thinking about Murphy's plan as a compromise.

"I don't see an 18-game schedule -- under any circumstance -- being in the best interest of our players," Smith said Friday, via ESPN.com. "If somebody wants to make an 18-game proposal, we'll look at it. I haven't seen anything that makes me think that it would be good for the players."

One other thing that could be coming to the NFL in 2021 is an expanded playoff system, which is something the league's owners will likely also be pushing in negotiations.

"I think also…(is) the possibility of expanding the playoffs," Murphy said. "I think that could be a positive for the league."

The current CBA doesn't expire until after the 2020 season, which means once the two sides agree to a new deal that may or may not include an expanded regular season, it won't take effect until 2021.

Murphy...the same guy who's always been against expanding games is now all for it after his team's profits are waaaaaaaaaaaaay down. Fuck this guy

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murphy...the same guy who's always been against expanding games is now all for it after his team's profits are waaaaaaaaaaaaay down. Fuck this guy

If GB adds any more games, Rodgers might have 2 coaches fired in 1 season

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like all this would do is extend preseason into the first 2 games of the regular season. No one is going to risk depending on the back ups at the end of the season.

Bad idea any way you look at it.