• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

16-17 Season Thread

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we're a day away from "The Process" making his regular season debut. Noel and Bayless look like they'll miss at least the first month and Simmons should be on the shelf until January at the earliest. Westbrook gets a great opportunity to dominate in his first game sans Durant on the team.

Another year with PG FA additions with the one slated to start hurt. Thankfully the alternative isn't Canaan this year. Hopefully, someone on the team can get hot from 3 tomorrow. Team has a long way to go to find a rhythm. Interested to see the new look Thunder and the debut of Sabas Jr in action.

Game 1 and I already have some viewing concerns. Firstly, the game is on ESPN, secondly, I have meetings that should run for the entirety of the game. Not a new problem, I usually have to watch the replays when I get home from work, but does anyone know if League Pass offers the games to rewatch that are nationally televised? I didn't encounter this problem last year.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woot! First meeting not happening, think I might be able to catch the majority of the 1st.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I only got to catch the first quarter and the last 5 of the 4th. Embiid looked as nice as he did in the preseason. So much potential and promise there. Even his soundbites are gold. I was able to watch the 15 minute game on league pass, don't know if full game will be available, but i hate watching the 15 minute game, doesn't show anything other than made baskets. I hate to be that guy, but I saw some ticky tack shit called on one end and not the other. Yeah, I was all ready too see the balloons and confetti drop for game 1, but alas, we shall wait.

Sergio had a nice first game. I know there's talk of his defensive shortcomings, but Westbrook was played by a few cats and he's just Westbrook and he made some big shots and made them look to be at ease as he does. 9 to 0 is a nice stat line. On the other end, JoJo was making some of those same midrange jumpers looking like butter. It was the right call, but fuck was I ready to praise him on that drive that VO drew the charge. it looked so pretty, why not give the hoop and the nonharm.

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only call that royally pissed me off was the one towards the end when Embiid jumped straight up with his arms straight up - made no effort to block or impede Westbrook and they called him for a defensive foul. I hate those calls and always will. Defensive players are allowed to exist on the fricking court. Westbrook initiated the entirety of the contact. That is NOT a foul on the defensive player. Then at the other end shortly after, Adams hits Embiid on the wrist during a short jumper and no call. Refs need to be consistent, it is the biggest reason I dislike sports more and more.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sergio was a +8, McConnell a -14.
They had 9 and 7 assists, respectively.

I thought Henderson did a really good job defending Westbrook, but yeah, it's Westbrook.
We finally had a Nik Stauskas sighting.
Saric had a cold shooting night, so that should improve.
Grant, Holmes, and Covington produced their usual.

But, the night belonged to Embiid.
Pretty stroke, hit a 3, and his per36 numbers are going to look insane.
Just stay healthy, big fella!

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only call that royally pissed me off was the one towards the end when Embiid jumped straight up with his arms straight up - made no effort to block or impede Westbrook and they called him for a defensive foul. I hate those calls and always will. Defensive players are allowed to exist on the fricking court. Westbrook initiated the entirety of the contact. That is NOT a foul on the defensive player. Then at the other end shortly after, Adams hits Embiid on the wrist during a short jumper and no call. Refs need to be consistent, it is the biggest reason I dislike sports more and more.

Given the last 3 years, the Sixers rarely had calls go their way.
With Embiid being the real deal, and especially when Simmons comes back, I have a funny feeling that the refs will be doing their best to protect them from further injury.

Really liked the way Embiid shook the hands of the refs after the game.
Old school/soccer style.

His interviews are great, though I kept thinking of Nenge Mboko from Cameroon.
Anyone know that reference without googling it?

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerami Grant stinks. He should not be on that court.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I only got to catch the first quarter and the last 5 of the 4th. Embiid looked as nice as he did in the preseason. So much potential and promise there. Even his soundbites are gold. I was able to watch the 15 minute game on league pass, don't know if full game will be available, but i hate watching the 15 minute game, doesn't show anything other than made baskets. I hate to be that guy, but I saw some ticky tack shit called on one end and not the other. Yeah, I was all ready too see the balloons and confetti drop for game 1, but alas, we shall wait.

Sergio had a nice first game. I know there's talk of his defensive shortcomings, but Westbrook was played by a few cats and he's just Westbrook and he made some big shots and made them look to be at ease as he does. 9 to 0 is a nice stat line. On the other end, JoJo was making some of those same midrange jumpers looking like butter. It was the right call, but fuck was I ready to praise him on that drive that VO drew the charge. it looked so pretty, why not give the hoop and the nonharm.

Maybe I'm overreacting but Embiid looked like a star last night. How can you be anything but excited about the future?

On the game, I only got to really pay attention to the final minutes. I don't think Henderson belongs handling the ball in that situation. 2-point game and under 20 seconds left, I thought they should have either (1) fed it to Embiid or (2) fed it to Embiid or done a drive with Sergio but kicked it out to the 3 for a buzzer beater. Having Henderson drive and shoot was not advisable.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerami Grant stinks. He should not be on that court.
He was a +1 in 22 minutes in which his team lost by 6.
If his mid-range jumper can improve to the point where he can knock down the occasional 3, he'll be ok.

I was thinking Henderson and Grant should have guarded Westbrook all night.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a +1 in 22 minutes in which his team lost by 6.
If his mid-range jumper can improve to the point where he can knock down the occasional 3, he'll be ok.

I was thinking Henderson and Grant should have guarded Westbrook all night.

Grant is a role player. I'd prefer that he not play 22 minutes per game but I also wouldn't take the position that he doesn't belong on the court. I think the team will figure things out and see which rotations work. It's all an experiment this season. And the experiment will start to get really interesting once Simmons is back.

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOLOLOL at minutes restriction for Embiid

Why not just come out and say, we are tanking yet again this season

lol 15 minutes tonight, hes only their best player but........you know, wouldn't want to play him or anything

nahhhh, thats just CRAZY talk

what a shit franchise

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol 15 minutes tonight, hes only their best player but........you know, wouldn't want to play him or anything

what a shit franchise

Did you watch the game? He was on a 20 minute restriction. The guy hasn't played in forever, what's the problem with easing him in. He got 15 minutes today because he picked up a bull shit foul or two that made him come out earlier than he would have. Then he never came back in at the end of the fourth because that game was well out of hand.

I've always found the tank label to be funny. The team finished with the worst record once and were surpassed by teams that came into the regular season with playoff hype. They're a young team and it's about improving those that will be here for the long haul. As it were, Embiid leads that group. As was the case last year no one is hitting any 3's yet (outside of 3mbiid) Covington and Dario are cold, Okafor is still working rust off and still a black hole when on offense and defense. It was a shit game to watch for sure outside of when Joel is in the game. Just speaks to how good he is that he ups everyones level to that point.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embiid is a superstar in the making ... the kid makes it look easy and will just keep getting better. Imagine once Simmons returns and helps set him up all day long?! Trust the Process :)

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

what a shit franchise

Huh?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

what a shit franchise

So, you would rather play him 40 minutes, risk injury, just to chase 30 wins instead of say, 25?
Getting Embiid on the court and staying there for the entire season is a win.
Hold the fort until Simmons is healthy.
Bottom line is we just to have a lesser record than the Lakers, which would help us to acquire their pick this year.

TTP

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok the Sixers last possession was atrocious. Why da hell did they do a high pick n roll with Embiid? Have him post down low and make them double. Brett Brown did them a favor by not doing that.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turning this one on now. Kind of looked at the coming at goings of the first half. No I'm going to start off very excited with this one and gradually getting a dirty taste in my mouth. Right off the bat all I can say is Payton has one of the dumbest fucking haircuts I've ever seen.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sergio has some nice passes. That's the biggest thing I'm missing from Simmons not being out there, he flashed 2 highlight passes a night in his limited summer league run.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck is Embiid nice. (Just watched his block on Ibaka where he came out of nowhere on the help). Had what I thought looked nice live, but I guess was a travel on the other end. Crazy to think he hasn't played for over two years. So fucking nice. Would really rather to see them try and keep Noel around to work with him rather than Okafor. That being said, if they could get some good pieces, I wouldn't mind seeing both of them getting shipped out. Holmes is nice in his own right as a backup and we have enough pieces at 4 between Saric and Simmons depending on how they want to play them.