• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1-15 teams (or worse) shouldn't get rewarded with 1st overall picks.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true.

D'you know there's only six #1's on the team that drafted them? That's it. And atleast two of em won't be playing this week.

Sure.

What's interesting is playoff appearances of QBs taken #1 in the past couple decades. Manning has the most at 6, Alex Smith is next at 5. Luck made the playoffs 4 times in 6 seasons. Vick, Palmer, and Stafford all made the playoffs 3 times. (Vick played in a 4th postseason, but he didn't start, so I'm not gonna count that.)

Not that high a bar for Mayfield, Murray, and Burrow to surpass. Goff already has 2 in his first 4 seasons, and could definitely get to the postseason again this year. I'm not super high on Goff, but he certainly has a lot of time to make himself a better legacy than any of the other QBs taken #1 before him this century.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure.

What's interesting is playoff appearances of QBs taken #1 in the past couple decades. Manning has the most at 6, Alex Smith is next at 5. Luck made the playoffs 4 times in 6 seasons. Vick, Palmer, and Stafford all made the playoffs 3 times. (Vick played in a 4th postseason, but he didn't start, so I'm not gonna count that.)

Not that high a bar for Mayfield, Murray, and Burrow to surpass. Goff already has 2 in his first 4 seasons, and could definitely get to the postseason again this year. I'm not super high on Goff, but he certainly has a lot of time to make himself a better legacy than any of the other QBs taken #1 before him this century.
So, active #1 QBs in playoff appearances are Alex Smith (a third string QB), Stafford and Goff.

That's rough.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about....

Any team that finishes 3-13 or worse is forced to allow Bill O'Brien to trade away their draft pick for an injury turnstile at left tackle.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about....

Any team that finishes 3-13 or worse is forced to allow Bill O'Brien to trade away their draft pick for an injury turnstile at left tackle.
& best player for a injured RB with huge contract.
Dont forget that ;)

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody wants to really win the NFC East and mess up their draft position

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'd add in 2-14 teams, too.

Absolute dogshit teams shouldn't get to pick and ruin blue-chip quarterbacks when they don't have the team backbone to protect and nurture them. And they shouldn't be given incentives to tank.

Teams that go 1-15 or worse should be required to pick no better than top 20 in the 1st round, And teams that go 2-14 shouldn't get to pick any higher than 15. Then they are more likely to pick up OL or DL to help build a good foundation. They shouldn't be taking Burrow and others like him to throw in the fire and ruin with a tissue paper line.

Prove you can actually win a game with the guys you have before you can pull an elite QB off the board.

IMO.
That is a terrible idea.
Now maybe just maybe a player drafted by so called terrible team at #1 has the brass balls to tell the team that’s drafting him #1 overall that he won’t sign. Like Elway did to the Colts and Manning did to the Chargers. Some will scoff at this just like I did to your opinion and that’s fine. But I am betting Baker and Joe maybe even Sam might be wishing that they did this. Nobody is forcing the draftee to sign it is their choice after all They can sit out a year and reenter the draft.

Lawrence this year has the option not to declare and go back to school. But he has said he is done with college.
We shall see

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli is the only #1 overall pick, this Millenium, at QB to win a SB.

Only other 21st Century #1 overall to win a SB is Eric Fisher.
thats 2 of 19. that really isnt bad.
then figure realistically. It should take a few years for a team with a #1 pick to become even possible to get to a superbowl.
remove them from the equation. Percentages get even better.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli is the only #1 overall pick, this Millenium, at QB to win a SB.

Only other 21st Century #1 overall to win a SB is Eric Fisher.
Jared Goff was pretty darn close. Cam Newton, too, and he was beaten by a number 1.

There are 32 teams. It's still an advantage.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I do not want an NBA style lottery.

Just not let teams that can't win more than 2 games get the most premium picks so they can ignore building up a strong foundation and take the shiny toy that they can't protect instead. Look at what the Jets are doing right now. That shouldn't be rewarded with the pick of the draft.

If they are knocked back a bit, it's somewhat of a punishment to be better, but also forces them to pick in a position where they aren't just taking a marquee name for the attention.

And this would just be for the 1st round, not dump them in every round.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I do not want an NBA style lottery.

Just not let teams that can't win more than 2 games get the most premium picks so they can ignore building up a strong foundation and take the shiny toy that they can't protect instead. Look at what the Jets are doing right now. That shouldn't be rewarded with the pick of the draft.

If they are knocked back a bit, it's somewhat of a punishment to be better, but also forces them to pick in a position where they aren't just taking a marquee name for the attention.

And this would just be for the 1st round, not dump them in every round.

Dude...it's a shit idea....and I think you wouldn't even float this if your Steelers actually experienced a 1 or 2 win season and were in need of a QB. Besides....Burrow is a grown man. If he didn't want to sign up for what is pro football - where players get hurt - and turn down the $millions....that's his right.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolute dogshit teams shouldn't get to pick and ruin blue-chip quarterbacks when they don't have the team backbone to protect and nurture them. And they shouldn't be given incentives to tank.

Teams that go 1-15 or worse should be required to pick no better than top 20 in the 1st round, And teams that go 2-14 shouldn't get to pick any higher than 15. Then they are more likely to pick up OL or DL to help build a good foundation. They shouldn't be taking Burrow and others like him to throw in the fire and ruin with a tissue paper line.

Prove you can actually win a game with the guys you have before you can pull an elite QB off the board.

IMO.
What in hell have you been smoking?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats 2 of 19. that really isnt bad.
then figure realistically. It should take a few years for a team with a #1 pick to become even possible to get to a superbowl.
remove them from the equation. Percentages get even better.
There are 11 #1 picks of the last twenty that are even under contract.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? Some of these teams have proven time and again they're going to fuck it up, so let them look even dumber than they are/

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO.
How 'bout we just toss the Jets into the dumpster altogether. Good riddance.