• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zack Darlington

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had talked about him before in the recruiting thread, but it's looking more and more like he will be the guy we take this year.

I think I mentioned I thought his play style looked a lot like Taylor's, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Well Sam McKewon pointed out the obvious in an article today: He runs a shockingly similar offense. His dad is his coach at his HS and is a big Husker fan. He and his son actually watch Nebraska tape and take plays from it.

McKewon: Florida QB works with sets like NU's - Omaha.com

Rick Darlington, who is 108-30 at Apopka and spent three years at high school powerhouse Valdosta (Ga.), said he's a lifelong Nebraska fan. He grew up in New Jersey watching Husker games on TV. He paid more attention after Bradenton (Fla.) Manatee star Tommie Frazier, whom Darlington coached against in high school, signed with NU and won two national championships there.

“But Scott Frost was our favorite guy,” Rick said.

Frost and Zack bear a bit of a resemblance. It's the blond hair. Rick also liked the option, and how Tom Osborne orchestrated it. Now, he likes the way NU offensive coordinator Tim Beck runs the spread option game. He and Zack record Husker games and dissect them later for ideas.

“Coach Beck's very creative,” Rick Darlington said. “He runs more quarterback read plays than most coaches do.”

Watch Zack in highlight films. Apopka's and Nebraska's offenses could be twins. The same kinds of zone read runs — and play-action passes off those looks. The same attacks of the defense down the seam. The same tunnel and bubble screens. Zack threw for 1,725 yards and 19 touchdowns and ran for 708 yards and 10 touchdowns. He's not Taylor Martinez as a runner, but he's bulky enough to take hits — Zack's brother, Ty, is a center at Oklahoma — and fast enough to run 4.57 and 4.59 40-yard dash times, Rick said.

Zack's attracted offers from spread schools like Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Ole Miss, Arizona and North Carolina State. The Hokies, Mountaineers and Wildcats are recruiting Zack the hardest. NU, Rick said, is somewhere in the middle.

“But every time Zack talks to Coach Beck, he feels good about it,” Rick said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember this one time about four years ago when I said this shifty whiteboy out of plano was gonna be amazing for us...

Pretty sure I have an eye for it.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was also basically alone on the martinez bandwagon when he was still waiting for his balls to drop at centennial.

I said he would win us a national title. Has yet to be seen.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was also basically alone on the martinez bandwagon when he was still waiting for his balls to drop at centennial.

I'm not challenging you, but if you say every recruit is going to be golden, you are bound to be right occasionally.....I just hope this one time you are absolutely correct in that he will win us a National Championship.......:D

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not baggin on Frost, just pointing out the truth. Frost and Martinez had quirky throwing motions, but Taylor has worked on his. Frost got the NC, and Martinez has one season left to get his.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When Taylor was in High School I had no idea he could potentially be playing QB for us. I really thought we would use him in some form of what we are going to use his brother.

As soon as I saw Taylor play those first few games his RS Freshman season, I really did think we were going to be National Champz soon.......especially with the fact that I was used to us playing amazing Defense at that time.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Taylor was in High School I had no idea he could potentially be playing QB for us. I really thought we would use him in some form of what we are going to use his brother.

As soon as I saw Taylor play those first few games his RS Freshman season, I really did think we were going to be National Champz soon.......especially with the fact that I was used to us playing amazing Defense at that time.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I honestly think if we give Bo enough time, he can put together a championship caliber team.

They need to hold on to this staff for another 3 years minimum to do it.

He's had a championship caliber defense. He has a championship caliber offense. He just needs to put it all together.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The concerning thing is under his watch he has also had some seriously god awful offenses and some epicly bad defenses.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I honestly think if we give Bo enough time, he can put together a championship caliber team.

They need to hold on to this staff for another 3 years minimum to do it.

He's had a championship caliber defense. He has a championship caliber offense. He just needs to put it all together.

I agree. If Bo can keep an intact staff, the odds will go up that he will have some dynamite teams, but I'm not too sure about a national title type of team. Things will really have to come together for one of those.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The concerning thing is under his watch he has also had some seriously god awful offenses and some epicly bad defenses.

I'm much more concerned with his defenses the way they played at times last year. Don't expect that to change in 2013. There's a 1.275% I will be wrong! lol

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not baggin on Frost, just pointing out the truth. Frost and Martinez had quirky throwing motions, but Taylor has worked on his. Frost got the NC, and Martinez has one season left to get his.

So what's your eval on this kids (Darlington's) throwing motion?

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If Bo can keep an intact staff, the odds will go up that he will have some dynamite teams, but I'm not too sure about a national title type of team. Things will really have to come together for one of those.

We have the playmaker types on offense. Our secondary on defense has pretty much been a strong point since Bo been here. The oline and dline need to improve before we can ever play for a NC.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the playmaker types on offense. Our secondary on defense has pretty much been a strong point since Bo been here. The oline and dline need to improve before we can ever play for a NC.

Yep we need 5 guys on O-Line who can really play and a minimum of two of them need to be all-americans/all-conference.

D-Line we need an all-american at DT and at least an all-conference DE.

Need a butkus finalist/winner at LB and a couple of all conference DB's.

This is what we need to win a conference championship. If we're gonna win a national title, we need more than just a hand full of all-americans.

When you look at it like that, the rose colored glasses start to come off. There's no way that's happening this year.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need our DL to be marginally better than last year to compete for a title..

THAT IS ALL

There is reason for hope

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To "compete" for one, sure. I'm talking about winning one.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep we need 5 guys on O-Line who can really play and a minimum of two of them need to be all-americans/all-conference.

D-Line we need an all-american at DT and at least an all-conference DE.

Need a butkus finalist/winner at LB and a couple of all conference DB's.

This is what we need to win a conference championship. If we're gonna win a national title, we need more than just a hand full of all-americans.

When you look at it like that, the rose colored glasses start to come off. There's no way that's happening this year.

I don't know if you remember, but I broke my glasses up into 477 pieces last season!

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban Meyer has his greasy fucking douchebag hands on him.

Word is he's leaning tOSU.

Whatever. All he would be is a luxury. He's not a need.