• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Zach Brown eyes defensive MVP

redskin4209

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zach Brown eyes defensive MVP, says he can play 'with the best of them'

"Everyone should have a chip on their shoulder," he said. "Don't ever get comfortable."

Sounds good to me. Brown is coming off a good season with the Bills. I like the confidence. Brown should be better than what we had last yr, his speed and tackling should help our pass and run Def. He should have an impact on third downs also. We knew we had to improve at the inside LB position and Brown may be the answer. I remember last yr brown and Lorenzo Alexander were pretty good the first half of the season. He was second in the NFL with 149 tackles last season. So why did the bills let him go. Is brown a good signal caller. As always we will see, not ready to call him a savior but I like what he brings to the table.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he called some signals in buffalo last season /, no worries though , foster can and that should put compton back in a BU role

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Redskins needing more, Preston Smith eating less -- no sweets or bread

Good articles about the Redskins LBs. It sounds like Gallette is at least playing decently rt now & Smith is very dedicated to being in better shape & performing better. No doubt there will be ups & downs w/ the defense & LB corps. However - with all of the additions & the improvement from within you have to figure that at least some of this will lead to a better overall defense barring major injuries.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Redskins needing more, Preston Smith eating less -- no sweets or bread

Good articles about the Redskins LBs. It sounds like Gallette is at least playing decently rt now & Smith is very dedicated to being in better shape & performing better. No doubt there will be ups & downs w/ the defense & LB corps. However - with all of the additions & the improvement from within you have to figure that at least some of this will lead to a better overall defense barring major injuries.

I agree. I'm predicting middle of the pack defense this year

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- with all of the additions & the improvement from within you have to figure that at least some of this will lead to a better overall defense barring major injuries.

i would hope & expect with improved talent on the field the level of competition will also be elevated & bring out the best in everyone to push themselves that much more.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would hope & expect with improved talent on the field the level of competition will also be elevated & bring out the best in everyone to push themselves that much more.
if we can get a jump in defensive performance it may push us over to 10 solid wins

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about this thread. Maybe Preston Smith's diet is actually helping him (along w/ more talent around him). He just appears to be a completely different player than last season (at least thus far).

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a signal caller and it holds him back.

Maybe it frees him up to be the tackling machine that he is.

@redskin4209

From what I read last year. There were those I'm assuming in the Bills FO. That questioned whether or not the high level of play would continue after getting a big payday.

Kinda sounds crazy from what I've seen of Brown. He's a thumper and thumpers aren't slackers or lazy and love to play. Maybe the Bills thought they had or have an up n comer who can do what Brown does better than Brown.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@redskin4209

From what I read last year. There were those I'm assuming in the Bills FO. That questioned whether or not the high level of play would continue after getting a big payday.

Kinda sounds crazy from what I've seen of Brown. He's a thumper and thumpers aren't slackers or lazy and love to play. Maybe the Bills thought they had or have an up n comer who can do what Brown does better than Brown.

Similar to what we always hear about the Redskins - nobody should be scared away from taking a player based on the opinions of the Bills. Since 2000 they have only had 2 winning seasons & they have not made the playoffs during this time.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@redskin4209

Well, this could sound crazy but obviously cost could have been an issue. When clubs are weighing options to spend money in certain areas, perhaps drafting a rookie or bringing in a solid veteran FA on the cheap was a decision the Bills decided benefited the organization more so than paying Brown big money. Spend a little money here and there but address ILB as they did. Not sure but, THANK YOU Buffalo and THANK YOU BA for signing this guy.

HTTR!

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this could sound crazy but obviously cost could have been an issue. When clubs are weighing options to spend money in certain areas, perhaps drafting a rookie or bringing in a solid veteran FA on the cheap was a decision the Bills decided benefited the organization more so than paying Brown big money. Spend a little money here and there but address ILB as they did. Not sure but, THANK YOU Buffalo and THANK YOU BA for signing this guy.

HTTR!

Hence ending my post on this word.

Breed said:
Maybe the Bills thought they had or have an up n comer who can do what Brown does better than Brown.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I wrong in saying Swearginger is the new signal caller for the D? Whether he is or not, I've noticed him directing DB's and LBers before plays.

No question that the Skins haven't had an ILBer with Brown's combo of speed, power, and aggression in many a cheese filled moon. And he i$ motivated.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going to have a heluva test tonight vs Kelce

When head coach Jay Gruden thinks of linebacker Zach Brown, one play comes to mind that exemplifies the impact he’s had on the Redskins through three games.

Early in the second quarter during the team’s victory over the Rams, quarterback Jared Goff found tight end Gerald Everett wide open down the right sideline and a 75-yard touchdown looked inevitable. But sprinting at full capacity and catching up to him was Brown, who made a tackle just six yards before the goal line.

“His speed shows up a lot,” Gruden said. “Pursuing to the football, dropping in pass coverage, planting his foot and coming and gang tackling and making plays, so I think you don’t really notice that on the practice field until you get in gameday when you see it show up. I think that’s the biggest thing that he’s added to this defense – he’s added to our team speed.”

But that play was also indicative of a promise that Brown made to his defensive backs when he was signed in the offseason. Second in the league in tackles last season (149), and second again entering Week 4 with 33, Brown’s biggest attribute has been bringing players to the ground, letting his corners and safeties focus primarily on coverage duties.

On that near-touchdown catch, Brown knew that safety Deshazor Everettcould have also tackled the Rams’ tight end before the goal line, but wanted to clean up the mess himself.

“In my mind, I want to protect my corners and the secondary,” Brown said. “I don’t want nobody picking on them, nobody trying to make dumb tackles. We’re going to tackle, we’re going to defeat the block that you got coming for us and we’re going to go get them.

“Me and Mason [Foster] and the front seven will make sure you don’t have to tackle no running back,” he added. “A lot of people get hurt tackling a running back.”

It’s one of the many reasons why cornerback Josh Norman, smiling at his recent locker room session with the media, said of Brown, “he makes the job a whole lot easier,” and then summed up his thoughts. “Boy, I love Zach Brown.”

Someone else sharing that sentiment, and reaping the rewards of Brown’s tackling abilities, is cornerback Bashaud Breeland, who sits next to Brown in the locker room and likes to share conversation about their nearby hometowns in South Carolina.

He’s already noticed a difference in Brown’s speed, letting him play observer to opposing running backs being tackled. Through three games, Breeland has just eight tackles. After two games last season, before he injured himself early against the Giants, Breeland had already collected 19 tackles.

“Last year, around this time I probably had around [20]-some tackles,” Breeland said. “Now I really don’t have to worry about the tackling. If I do, he kind of beats me to him or he assists me. He’s all of over the field. That’s a great addition to the team. He’s making it easy for us.”

While safety D.J. Swearinger has already been anointed the vocal leader of the defense, Brown has earned a similar leadership role for his play on the field and during times of crisis. Take last Sunday’s game against the Raiders, for example, when defensive coordinator Greg Manusky’s communication system failed during several plays. Brown stepped in to make the calls without it.

“They made a call and they played it,” Manusky said. “So whatever the call was that Zach [Brown] made in the middle, we played it.”

It was an indication of the trust players have in Brown as well as the inside linebacker’s intelligence and readiness to step up when needed.

“If you’re the other linebacker on the field, you’re going to know the calls, you have to know the calls, make sure you know where everybody’s supposed to be because you never know,” Brown said. “When Mason [Foster] went down, I had to call the calls, so you just have to know. Because somebody might not know what they’re supposed to do, so you’ve got to tell them, you’ve got to be able to communicate with them on defense and it’s trust, too. They trust me to make the call.”

Brown has garnered that trust by doing the little things, he said, showing up on time to meetings, correcting mistakes on the field and communicating constantly about miscues that can be fastened up.

Brown’s goal, one he stated during OTAs, is to be the defensive MVP this season, an award often given to those with high tackle totals. But individual statistics can sometimes be misleading, as Brown hopes them to be for the remainder of the season.

“Good defenses get around 55 plays, so if you get around 55 plays, you’re not going to have as many tackles,” Brown said. “But your defense is going to be that good. So for us as a defense, we’re trying to cut down our plays, because the more you cut down your pays, the more you’re off the field. So that’s a big goal of ours.”

Still, the tackles he does acquire will continue to make a difference, keeping the secondary out of harm’s way as the Redskins keep building on their defensive cohesiveness.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been pounding the table for this after a couple of weeks of Brown dropping the hammer. The guy would be a nice focal point of our front 7 along with Allen to continue building around moving forward.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 NFL Statistics - National Football League - ESPN

Wow - Brown leads the NFL in tackles & it isn't even close. I realize that he has made some mistakes this season, but he has certainly contributed & they need to lock this guy up for the future.
Brown is a tackling machine. But is an absolute liability in pass coverage. On those last 2 drives that NO scored, he was just eaten up over the middle. I hope we re sign him, but he is no a 3 down LB unless he is blitzing on passing plays.