• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your unquestioned NFL MVP at the half way mark is...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. What clued me in was the rise in "power rankings" for pro teams. This all started in the last 5-10 years or so. At first people made proper comments like "oh, it looks like the Steelers aren't going to the Fiesta Bowl this year". Then people started to take it seriously and argue about that shit. Now? Everyone does power rankings for pro teams and people live for that crap. Saturated, indeed.

Yep...it's good in a way...the sports entertainment business has really exploded creating a lot of jobs, but it's clear now that it's reached a saturation point. We have 3 sportstalk 24/7 radio stations...50 sports specific channels on cable...this is all in addition to the big 3, well 4 now with Fox.

It makes you wonder...if there is a stock market bubble, and a housing market bubble, is there a sports entertainment bubble? If so, how close are we to it bursting?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between seeing them as a thorn in the Patriots side and crying like a bad sport. Geesh. It's not like the Patriots have not had a steady stream of success for almost 15 years now.

I think this should be an interesting game Sunday and I can see where Manning and Coughlin have been successful (and unsuccessful).

I think this is a good test for the Patriots secondary from a good passing attack.

I enjoyed this talk

Good Luck, you seem to like the entire Patriots team, i appreciate that

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoyed this talk

Good Luck, you seem to like the entire Patriots team, i appreciate that

I'm sure you feel the same way about the Giants. Even with their flaws. It's not like the Patriots don't have their share of weaknesses

I hope the Giant's are like a worn speed bump that the Patriots barely notice ("Did we hit something??") this Sunday but we'll see.

I worry more about injuries than the opponent these days.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"want"? C'mon...do you really think the average NFL fan cares who the MVP is in week 8?

IMO it's just something to drive clicks.

I think more people do than you think. Definitely Joe Average Fan does.

I think people REALLY like the NFL and will just happily consume even these type of articles.

I like the grades teams get and the power rankings whether I think they're valid or not. I just don't take them too seriously.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
37-27 Pats

I wish I could believe otherwise, but my defense is a fucking disaster

I just hope they approach this game with a "score for score" mentality, knowing that they have to attack offensively

the famous "Keep Tom off the field" approach only works when you have a stout defense, i hope the Giants dont get caught up in that ball control bullshit

I'm surprised you think the Pats win that comfortably. I don't see it that way. I think it's going to be a close game. The Giants D is awful, and the NFC East is atrocious, in general, but I just think they manage to keep it close at home. I don't think the Pats go 16-0. This game and the game @DEN are the 2 I had circled that make me nervous.

Agreed on the "Keep Tom off the field" strategy never working. But it SOUNDS good when a coach says it....

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...it's good in a way...the sports entertainment business has really exploded creating a lot of jobs, but it's clear now that it's reached a saturation point. We have 3 sportstalk 24/7 radio stations...50 sports specific channels on cable...this is all in addition to the big 3, well 4 now with Fox.

It makes you wonder...if there is a stock market bubble, and a housing market bubble, is there a sports entertainment bubble? If so, how close are we to it bursting?

We've already seen this "bubble" with ESPN/Disney realizing they vastly overpaid for live sports' rights. They had to drastically cut costs at ESPN(i.e. layoffs, exodus of high-priced talent etc...) to help with this. And the dreaded "cord cutters" aren't helping either. But in terms of the fan experience and stuff like these message boards, Facebook and Twitter? I don't think those are in a bubble that will burst anytime soon. I think most fans love the potential for around the clock coverage....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think more people do than you think. Definitely Joe Average Fan does.

I think people REALLY like the NFL and will just happily consume even these type of articles.

I like the grades teams get and the power rankings whether I think they're valid or not. I just don't take them too seriously.

Really?

Man I'm getting lapped.

In all honesty I think social media, and the sports media in general in conjunction with hi speed internet...fans are far more connected than ever before...I agree, much like CFB with the polls, the power rankings, etc generate interest, conversations, chat rooms, discussion boards.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen Gostkowski

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've already seen this "bubble" with ESPN/Disney realizing they vastly overpaid for live sports' rights. They had to drastically cut costs at ESPN(i.e. layoffs, exodus of high-priced talent etc...) to help with this. And the dreaded "cord cutters" aren't helping either. But in terms of the fan experience and stuff like these message boards, Facebook and Twitter? I don't think those are in a bubble that will burst anytime soon. I think most fans love the potential for around the clock coverage....

Oh...I just read about that...the tea leaves are finally revealing some of the on air departures. It'll be interesting to see who the axe falls on over there...I'm sure Fox and Foxsports is the hated network...to get into the sports game they over paid for everything starting with MLB, then the NFL, now CFB.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should be the only guy that does.

Most Valuable Player in the league, clearly, obviously, certainly.
Actually this makes sense. With Romo the Cowboys have a shot at the SB and without him they can't even make the playoffs.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. That's not how lines are set. Underdogs win games outright all the time.

The lines are obviously not always correct. If a weather forecast is for clear skies and it rains, the forecast was wrong and should have been for rain.

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually this makes sense. With Romo the Cowboys have a shot at the SB and without him they can't even make the playoffs.

It's funny because Romo gets among the most criticism of just about any player out there. But you can see what he means to that team now!