• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your team has the 1st pick in the 2017 draft..who do you take ?..

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think nearly all teams draft BPA. The trick is picking the right guy.

The Blazers weren't wrong for taking Bowie. But it turned out that he was pretty far from the BPA.

The Clippers weren't wrong to take Blake Griffin over James Harden, given the information available.. Neither were the Wolves taking Thabeet over Harden. But the results showed they made the wrong choice.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think nearly all teams draft BPA. The trick is picking the right guy.

The Blazers weren't wrong for taking Bowie. But it turned out that he was pretty far from the BPA.

The Clippers weren't wrong to take Blake Griffin over James Harden, given the information available.. Neither were the Wolves taking Thabeet over Harden. But the results showed they made the wrong choice.

I'm not so sure most pick BPA, at least not without considering needs.
Some positions like starting PG are too expensive to carry more than 1.
It's hard to fathom Boston taking a pure PG at #1 with Thomas already there.
My guess is they'd either take Jackson or make a trade of the pick or Thomas.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure most pick BPA, at least not without considering needs.
Some positions like starting PG are too expensive to carry more than 1.
It's hard to fathom Boston taking a pure PG at #1 with Thomas already there.
My guess is they'd either take Jackson or make a trade of the pick or Thomas.

Boston is in a somewhat unique situation because they are one of the top teams in the league and they may wind up with the #1 pick. That puts them in a precarious position.

The last time I can think of something similar to this happening was the Pistons 15 or so years ago. Not sure if they went BPA or best fit but it certainly didn't work out for them.

If I'm the Celtics then I either trade down or draft the best player available. If they think that's Fulz then you draft him. You may trade him later or you may trade Thomas. But basketball is about having the best talent.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston is in a somewhat unique situation because they are one of the top teams in the league and they may wind up with the #1 pick. That puts them in a precarious position.
The last time I can think of something similar to this happening was the Pistons 15 or so years ago. Not sure if they went BPA or best fit but it certainly didn't work out for them.
If I'm the Celtics then I either trade down or draft the best player available. If they think that's Fulz then you draft him. You may trade him later or you may trade Thomas. But basketball is about having the best talent.

Darko !! I think they really thought he was best player left -- they didn't have a particular need at that position. (Rasheed) But they screwed up not taking Melo.

I agree the Celtics take best player -- probably Fultz -- if they get the #1 pick. Then the question is if Danny let's it play out ... or if he trades Fultz ... or trades IT.

Key question: can you win an NBA Championship with IT as your PG ? (I'm not sure ... somewhat skeptical ... even though he is fun to watch.)

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darko !! I think they really thought he was best player left -- they didn't have a particular need at that position. (Rasheed) But they screwed up not taking Melo.

I agree the Celtics take best player -- probably Fultz -- if they get the #1 pick. Then the question is if Danny let's it play out ... or if he trades Fultz ... or trades IT.

Key question: can you win an NBA Championship with IT as your PG ? (I'm not sure ... somewhat skeptical ... even though he is fun to watch.)

I think they can win with Thomas at PG, if they have a top SG with ball handling skills as well. That's why I think they would likely make that happen if they draw #1. It could be Butler or George, or they might take Jackson. Less likely seems to be taking Fultz and moving Thomas.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously it's hard to pass up Ball and Fultz but if Markannen does happen to fall to the 9-10 range as expected I think whoever gets him down there is getting a consistent Dirk prototype with a very long career ahead of him. I wouldn't hesitate to take him top 5.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously it's hard to pass up Ball and Fultz but if Markannen does happen to fall to the 9-10 range as expected I think whoever gets him down there is getting a consistent Dirk prototype with a very long career ahead of him. I wouldn't hesitate to take him top 5.

I don't have that high of an opinion of Markannen except as a set shooter.
He doesn't show the passing and defense of other European bigs. I'd consider him around 12.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fultz or im angry.

Exception is a monster haul of picks and a young star. I mean monster...

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fultz or im angry.

You wouldn't trade it for Butler, a proven superstar, and the Bulls first round pick? There's no guaranteeing any player in this draft is better than Butler. Butler brings elite defense, an elite Lebron defender, and very good scoring. I don't think Boston skips a beat with Butler at SG and becomes a much more dangerous team on both ends of the floor. It'd probably take players like Avery Bradley and some scrubs to match salary though.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fultz or im angry.

A straight up swap of the top pick for Jimmy Butler or Paul George would be a good deal for Boston. 24 pts, 6 boards, 6 assist and solid defense from the SG position could make The Celtics title contenders next season.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wouldn't trade it for Butler, a proven superstar, and the Bulls first round pick? There's no guaranteeing any player in this draft is better than Butler. Butler brings elite defense, an elite Lebron defender, and very good scoring. I don't think Boston skips a beat with Butler at SG and becomes a much more dangerous team on both ends of the floor. It'd probably take players like Avery Bradley and some scrubs to match salary though.

The Bulls would be nuts to give up Butler and a 1, a straight up trade would be fair, I'm not sure Chicago would give JB up for the #1 pick either.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fultz, he's like a young Kobe ... Boston shouldn't over-think it too much, just grab the kid..

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bulls would be nuts to give up Butler and a 1, a straight up trade would be fair, I'm not sure Chicago would give JB up for the #1 pick either.
I disagree. The bulls are nowhere near being a contender and won't be while Butler is still in his prime.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The bulls are nowhere near being a contender and won't be while Butler is still in his prime.

He's just 27, he has at least 5 years left in his prime and perhaps up to 10 at close to this level.
I'm not up on Bulls' management but GMs are rarely if ever given such a long window to win.
Also there's the fact JB is very proven, regardless of how good Fultz looks at the college level, he is not a sure thing.

IF there was a top young big available in trade it would fit Boston's needs even more in my opinion, but there are few who MIGHT be obtainable, and none I know to be.
Jabari Parker
Porzingis
Greg Monroe
Mason Plumlee
Those guys to varied degrees could make Boston better. Few teams have a surplus top big though.

Last edited:

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fultz, he's like a young Kobe ... Boston shouldn't over-think it too much, just grab the kid..

While he's not like Kobe, he might be as good in his way, but he might not be.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While he's not like Kobe, he might be as good in his way, but he might not be.

He just kinda reminds me of Kobe with his shot, also how he drives in the lane and finishes.. Not saying he'll be as good as Kobe, just saying he reminds me of him when he was young... He's only like 18 years old, just a kid...

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just kinda reminds me of Kobe with his shot, also how he drives in the lane and finishes.. Not saying he'll be as good as Kobe, just saying he reminds me of him when he was young... He's only like 18 years old, just a kid...

I see your point.
Physically he's a whole lot like Dwayne Wade. Same height, freakish length and athleticism.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point.
Physically he's a whole lot like Dwayne Wade. Same height, freakish length and athleticism.

Yep, kid is still growing also... He might end up being 6.6 or 6.7 before it's all said and done..

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should the Celts trade the #1 pick for Hassan Whiteside? He just signed a 4-year max deal. I think they should offer the #1 and BKY's #1 next season. He'd do wonders there.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just 27, he has at least 5 years left in his prime and perhaps up to 10 at close to this level.
I'm not up on Bulls' management but GMs are rarely if ever given such a long window to win.
Also there's the fact JB is very proven, regardless of how good Fultz looks at the college level, he is not a sure thing.

IF there was a top young big available in trade it would fit Boston's needs even more in my opinion, but there are few who MIGHT be obtainable, and none I know to be.
Jabari Parker
Porzingis
Greg Monroe
Mason Plumlee
Those guys to varied degrees could make Boston better. Few teams have a surplus top big though.
Porzingis and Davis are the only guys you consider trading that pick for i think. I mean- of course there are other guys---- but i mean out of guys that have ANY chance at being available.