• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your all-time favorite player and why

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any perfect game >

Not to sure about that Chewy........
Wood needed no help from his defense.Only 7 guys were able to put the bat on the ball and none were hit that needed a spectacular play by any of the defensive players.They were either routine ground balls or lazy fly balls.And the only hit was from Ricky Guetierrez that was an infield hit.He was unhittable that day......

And I`m willing to bet that any perfect game,there were balls hit on a line,in the gap,diving plays that saved the perfect games for the pitchers........Wood needed NONE.

And done by a rookie.............

Last edited:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really "care" about how the out is recorded as far as it concerns my team or anything. But I will judge a pitching performance on more. A strikeout is more impressive than a lineout, as far as the performance of the pitcher. Of course an out is an out, but I'm not just judging on whether or not the team was able to record an out. If the ball is hit in play, the pitcher must rely on others to make a play for him. If the pitcher strikes a guy out, he doesn't.

The defense is there for a reason. If a pitcher is missing barrels when the ball is put in play, it works just as well for me. There's generally one defensive gem in every perfect game. Had Wood simply allowed the lone single, that's all well and good, but he also hit a batter. He allowed two base runners. There's no base runners in a perfect game. I'll take that 0.000 WHIP all day every day.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to sure about that Chewy........
Wood needed no help from his defense.Only 7 guys were able to put the bat on the ball and none were hit that needed a spectacular play by any of the defensive players.They were either routine ground balls or lazy fly balls.And the only hit was from Ricky Guetierrez that was hit to the ss who had to make a play to his right a little that if not bobbled,he very well had a shot at getting the runner.He was unhittable that day......

And I`m willing to bet that any perfect game,there were balls hit on a line,in the gap,diving plays that saved the perfect games for the pitchers........Wood needed NONE.

And done by a rookie.............

It was an impressive game, but he allowed a single and he hit Craig Biggio.

Had that lone infield hit been the only baserunner, I might entertain the thought, but he also hit a batter.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really "care" about how the out is recorded as far as it concerns my team or anything. But I will judge a pitching performance on more. A strikeout is more impressive than a lineout, as far as the performance of the pitcher. Of course an out is an out, but I'm not just judging on whether or not the team was able to record an out. If the ball is hit in play, the pitcher must rely on others to make a play for him. If the pitcher strikes a guy out, he doesn't.
Best pitching performances ever typically require at least one outstanding play in the field to either stop a rally or give the pitcher a boost. I usually measure a pitcher's game by the number of 23-hoppers that get hit to the infielders, or popups back of 2nd base.

All the same, I recall watching a couple of Nolan Ryan games and you could tell in the first inning if he had no-hit stuff because the fastball was hopping all over the place. It's hard to dig in against a guy who is wild inside the Zip code but knows what he's doing while he's doing it.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense is there for a reason. If a pitcher is missing barrels when the ball is put in play, it works just as well for me. There's generally one defensive gem in every perfect game. Had Wood simply allowed the lone single, that's all well and good, but he also hit a batter. He allowed two base runners. There's no base runners in a perfect game. I'll take that 0.000 WHIP all day every day.
We know there are no baserunners in a perfect game. We know Kerry Wood allowed 2 baserunners. We know you prefer a game where there are no baserunners. You don't have to keep repeating yourself.

Sure, defense is there for a reason. All those perfect game pitchers needed their defense twice as many times as Wood needed his. Because he pitched better.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Had that lone infield hit been the only baserunner, I might entertain the thought, but he also hit a batter.

I`m gonna agree to disagree tho..............Show me these other pitching gems that needed no spectacular defensive plays to help the pitcher.
KW needed none of that.
no one could simply not hit the ball..........It was pretty much Kerry that did all the work.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know there are no baserunners in a perfect game. We know Kerry Wood allowed 2 baserunners. We know you prefer a game where there are no baserunners. You don't have to keep repeating yourself.

Sure, defense is there for a reason. All those perfect game pitchers needed their defense twice as many times as Wood needed his. Because he pitched better.

Except he didn't. He struck out more, but allowed 2 more base runners.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I`m gonna agree to disagree tho..............Show me these other pitching gems that needed no spectacular defensive plays to help the pitcher.
KW needed none of that.
no one could simply not hit the ball..........It was pretty much Kerry that did all the work.

And he allowed a single and he hit Craig Biggio.

One pitch got away from him and he hit Biggio. Generally speaking, a perfect game will take at least 100 pitches. The fact that none of them were squibbed just right on the infield, or found outfield grass, and none of those pitchers were erratic enough to hit a batter is more impressive to me.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And it was not like he played the worst team in baseball..He pitched vs 2 HOF`ers in Biggio and bagwell.Along with two very good hitters in Moises alou and Derek Bell.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it was not like he played the worst team in baseball..He pitched vs 2 HOF`ers in Biggio and bagwell.Along with two very good hitters in Moises alou and Derek Bell.

Don Larsen threw a perfect game in the World Series. And until that is matched, it will always be the greatest pitching performance in MLB history as far as I'm concerned.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he allowed a single and he hit Craig Biggio.

One pitch got away from him and he hit Biggio. Generally speaking, a perfect game will take at least 100 pitches. The fact that none of them were squibbed just right on the infield, or found outfield grass, and none of those pitchers were erratic enough to hit a batter is more impressive to me.

And I`m sure there were never any pitches that got away from any of those perfect game pitchers.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don Larsen threw a perfect game in the World Series. And until that is matched, it will always be the greatest pitching performance in MLB history as far as I'm concerned.
Having only vague memories of the Larson game, I would say that it's the most unforgettable performance based on its importance to the season. There have been better-pitched games. "Greatest" would depend on your definition, which is fine -- but I think a game Maddux pitched in the W.S. against ... dunno, somebody ... was a better performance. Had it been Game 7, it would have been an even more impressive game.