• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

you tell 'em Beamer!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I think what needs to be looked at is how quickly schools that are in question are investigated, and if punishment is due, then get the punishment out there," Beamer said. "When things happen and it takes a year, a year-and-a-half, it takes two years, I just don't think that's good for anyone.

"If it means hiring more people at the NCAA level, that's what I think they need to do because I certainly want a level playing field. … We need quicker action, we need quicker results, to get to the bottom of things.

"I think people would question some of the punishments that have come around. When … kids can play in a bowl game but can't play the first few games (the next season) I'm not sure that's the right message to be sending. … If you break the rules, there needs to be a response."

College football scandals: Beamer, London, O'Brien cringe at college football's scandalous offseason - dailypress.com

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I think what needs to be looked at is how quickly schools that are in question are investigated, and if punishment is due, then get the punishment out there," Beamer said. "When things happen and it takes a year, a year-and-a-half, it takes two years, I just don't think that's good for anyone.

"If it means hiring more people at the NCAA level, that's what I think they need to do because I certainly want a level playing field. … We need quicker action, we need quicker results, to get to the bottom of things.

"I think people would question some of the punishments that have come around. When … kids can play in a bowl game but can't play the first few games (the next season) I'm not sure that's the right message to be sending. … If you break the rules, there needs to be a response."

College football scandals: Beamer, London, O'Brien cringe at college football's scandalous offseason - dailypress.com

Preach it brother Frank!

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Its not fair to the players, the schools, or the fans. Having kids sit out a season because the school doesn't know if they will come back as eligible or not is crazy. Leaving the fans in a position that they don't know if the games that are being played actually mean anything towards the season or not is wrong. The NCAA needs to speed it up. Giving a school 3 or 4 months to respond to something they know they did a year ago is crazy. Give them 2 weeks and get the ball rolling.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can we get Beamer (both of them) to join the SportsHoopla. They would answer a lot if our questions ;)

i met Beamer once in the ABC store on south main a few years back....he was buying a bunch of airplane bottles of fighting cock....made me wonder if they were for the sideline after every boneheaded play that stinespring called.

that was out of left field i know...i dont know how we can get them here, lol

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if we convince him that joining SportsHoopla that we can give advice on how to block more kicks since we have had a few down years.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i met Beamer once in the ABC store on south main a few years back....he was buying a bunch of airplane bottles of fighting cock....made me wonder if they were for the sideline after every boneheaded play that stinespring called.

that was out of left field i know...i dont know how we can get them here, lol

Is there a SportsHoopla app for a rotary phone...

LMAO at both of you. Maybe if we make a sniffers anonymous forum, Frank will join.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if we convince him that joining SportsHoopla that we can give advice on how to block more kicks since we have had a few down years.

While I know everyone wishes we could block every kick, we have changed our strategy over the last 10 years due to:

1. Better returners - we've had some very good ones recently that were a homerun threat almost each and every time. With an offense that has struggled to drive the length of the field for the better part of the decade (thanks Stiney), it has worked out to our advantage setting up the return and getting field position on the opponent's side of the 50. While I would love to see a blocked kick returned for a TD/safety, a lot has changed over the last decade.........

2. Coaches now coach special teams - in the 90s to early 00s, special teams was just a way for coaches to not screw up when handing possession back over to the other team. Only a few schools in the country saw the chance for a huge momentum swing by going after kicks with starters and not walk-ons. Beamerball was invented and everyone wanted to learn his secret. Frank was very generous and divulged the ins and outs. Ever since, schools spend more time and use their better players on special teams.

I think of this much in the way that Foster's 4-4 defense has now evolved into our current system. Back then, most teams were prostyle and the 4-4 created havoc with our blitzing schemes and other teams tried to copy our D. Then the spread offense started making its way into college systems and Foster had to adjust.

It is a testament to the quality of our coaches for being the best, then having to adjust when something new comes along to counter it while maintaining that level of excellence.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While I know everyone wishes we could block every kick, we have changed our strategy over the last 10 years due to:

1. Better returners - we've had some very good ones recently that were a homerun threat almost each and every time. With an offense that has struggled to drive the length of the field for the better part of the decade (thanks Stiney), it has worked out to our advantage setting up the return and getting field position on the opponent's side of the 50. While I would love to see a blocked kick returned for a TD/safety, a lot has changed over the last decade.........

2. Coaches now coach special teams - in the 90s to early 00s, special teams was just a way for coaches to not screw up when handing possession back over to the other team. Only a few schools in the country saw the chance for a huge momentum swing by going after kicks with starters and not walk-ons. Beamerball was invented and everyone wanted to learn his secret. Frank was very generous and divulged the ins and outs. Ever since, schools spend more time and use their better players on special teams.

I think of this much in the way that Foster's 4-4 defense has now evolved into our current system. Back then, most teams were prostyle and the 4-4 created havoc with our blitzing schemes and other teams tried to copy our D. Then the spread offense started making its way into college systems and Foster had to adjust.

It is a testament to the quality of our coaches for being the best, then having to adjust when something new comes along to counter it while maintaining that level of excellence.

Excellent post!