• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yeah let's not invest in facilities

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!! EXACTLY!! So quit just parroting what Holgorsen says in an attempt to excuse what has happened on the field.

I think holgerson Meant that the grass on our practice field is what is fucked up, and so fucked up that it can cause an injury.

Who knows it may be so fucked that it is cheaper to put in turf then grass.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think holgerson Meant that the grass on our practice field is what is fucked up, and so fucked up that it can cause an injury.

Who knows it may be so fucked that it is cheaper to put in turf then grass.

Mike, Turf is definitely cheaper, but what he is saying is he wants it changed for competitive reasons, and WVU is playing anywhere between 2 and 5 games on grass a year, which means we need to practice on grass, and if Holgorsen is not utilizing the grass to practice on prior to games on grass, that could help explain 4-8, just as Stewart not using the barometric chamber Fraud bought prior to the game at Colorado could partly explain that loss. Coaches need to use every facility they have to its fullest. As I said, if grading and new sod are needed, have at it.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From your third link...http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jhwms/SO...20Research.pdf

OVERALL CONCLUSIONS

Based on the available evidence, it appears that the potential and risk for injury is not increased for athletes

playing on 3rd generation artificial turf fields compared to grass fields. The potential for head or lower limb

injury is low and similar between turf and grass fields. Research indicates that the newer surfaces do not increase

injury risk for football or soccer players. In fact, some studies raise the possibility that the risk of some

types of injury might actually be reduced by using the new FieldTurf type surfaces. Clearly the new surfaces

are softer, provide more “give” than the older AstroTurf fields and may reduce the stress placed on the knee and

ankle.

Clearly more research is needed to fully verify these claims. More long term studies are needed to compare

injury rates on grass and artificial surfaces. More detailed information is also needed to examine specific injuries

that result from contact with the playing surface. Nevertheless, at this point, there is no reason to suggest

that new synthetic turf fields raise an athletes risk for injury.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!! EXACTLY!! So quit just parroting what Holgorsen says in an attempt to excuse what has happened on the field.

Ohh... I see your point. I thought you were claiming more injuries on turf compared to grass.

Dana never mentioned a comparative study on injuries when making his point about the practice field. Not sure why you brought them into the discussion. He stated they could only have a handful of practices there before the turf was so torn up it wasn't useful. He also stated the players complained about how slippery it was... and how it slowed them down... a couple of kids had injuries during practice because of the footing.

I agree with you, WVU should maintain a grass practice field... especially so the kids can trust the type and size of cleat they'll need to use. But, I agree with Dana... he needs to have sufficient space to practice on a field conducive to the weather patterns of Morgantown... and that is field turf.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, I gave those links BECAUSE they said there is no significant difference between grass and turf, WTF are you trying to say by again showing that you can cut and paste? Holgorsen made the claim that the grass needs to go to reduce injuries, and these links say that the potential for injury is the same. SO, because WVU plays multiple games a year on grass, there should be a place to practice on grass. WOW

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh... I see your point. I thought you were claiming more injuries on turf compared to grass.

Dana never mentioned a comparative study on injuries when making his point about the practice field. Not sure why you brought them into the discussion. He stated they could only have a handful of practices there before the turf was so torn up it wasn't useful. He also stated the players complained about how slippery it was... and how it slowed them down... a couple of kids had injuries during practice because of the footing.

I agree with you, WVU should maintain a grass practice field... especially so the kids can trust the type and size of cleat they'll need to use. But, I agree with Dana... he needs to have sufficient space to practice on a field conducive to the weather patterns of Morgantown... and that is field turf.

BB, Since the practice field area is so big, why not part grass and part turf on the outdoor practice field, because I truly do believe that you need to practice on the surface your next game is on. When in HS, we played a game on the old style turf at Laidley field, and that crap HURT, the newer stuff is MUCH better.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, why is Holgorsen so against practicing in the stadium? I do not get that, I would think that the more game like the atmosphere at practice, the better. I remember Fraud practicing in the stadium with tons of noise out of the speakers to simulate the crowd at away games.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, why is Holgorsen so against practicing in the stadium? I do not get that, I would think that the more game like the atmosphere at practice, the better. I remember Fraud practicing in the stadium with tons of noise out of the speakers to simulate the crowd at away games.

When I watched the video of Dana's presser when he went over these issues, a couple of points stuck with me. First off, he mentioned no big-time program practices in their home stadium. He wants to keep the stadium as a site reserved just for game day... make the experience of being on the field more special. But, I get your point too.

Secondly, the stadium does not allow for him to complete all the drills he would prefer due to space issues. Obviously not as bad as the indoor facility, but still an issue.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I watched the video of Dana's presser when he went over these issues, a couple of points stuck with me. First off, he mentioned no big-time program practices in their home stadium. He wants to keep the stadium as a site reserved just for game day... make the experience of being on the field more special. But, I get your point too.

Secondly, the stadium does not allow for him to complete all the drills he would prefer due to space issues. Obviously not as bad as the indoor facility, but still an issue.

It seems like he is more worried about copying how someone else does things than what is right here and now. I really do not know if others practice in their stadium or not, but I would say many do. I think the kids should be intimate with their home field, should know every inch of the field, where the lights may blind an opposing defender or receiver, where the turf may stay a little wet, etc. I get him saying it is special, but it shouldn't be so special that the kids are intimidated by their home field. Room to do drills? I don't know what drills he is talking about, running long pass routes? returning kicks? I don't know the answer to it, but I do know that football teams have practiced on football fields for many years.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like he is more worried about copying how someone else does things than what is right here and now. I really do not know if others practice in their stadium or not, but I would say many do. I think the kids should be intimate with their home field, should know every inch of the field, where the lights may blind an opposing defender or receiver, where the turf may stay a little wet, etc. I get him saying it is special, but it shouldn't be so special that the kids are intimidated by their home field. Room to do drills? I don't know what drills he is talking about, running long pass routes? returning kicks? I don't know the answer to it, but I do know that football teams have practiced on football fields for many years.

Dana is competing against Pitt, tOSU, PSU, MD, and VT for local recruits. His kids travel to some of the most majestic football complexes in the country now that WVU is in the Big 12. As we've discussed on here in the past, recruiting is the lifeblood of the program. You don't want to be at a disadvantage when trying to get top level recruits to come to join.

How things were done for many years means nothing to how coaches want to do things today. Have you watched any old films of how Bear Bryant used to train his kids in the '50's when he was at A&M? Do you think that would be enough to get the Aggies ready today?

Things change...

I have high speed internet...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dana is competing against Pitt, tOSU, PSU, MD, and VT for local recruits. His kids travel to some of the most majestic football complexes in the country now that WVU is in the Big 12. As we've discussed on here in the past, recruiting is the lifeblood of the program. You don't want to be at a disadvantage when trying to get top level recruits to come to join.

How things were done for many years means nothing to how coaches want to do things today. Have you watched any old films of how Bear Bryant used to train his kids in the '50's when he was at A&M? Do you think that would be enough to get the Aggies ready today?

Things change...

I have high speed internet...

With Bear's conditioning and coaching, maybe, just maybe. But I would also like to think that the reasons a kid goes to a school are: 1) the school itseft, maybe they have always been a fan 2) the coaches, they get a rapport with a certain coach, maybe went to a camp 3) the tradition of the program 4) how many from that school go to the NFL 5) the ability to play and contribute 6) the facilities. I really do not buy into a kid looking at the paint job on the lockers as a deciding reason to pick a school. My son's buddy just started at Buffalo, he visited Marshall, OU, BGSU and Buffalo, he decided on Buffalo because he liked the coach, had a chance to play, and loves to fish. I think people who say the kids choose a school by who has the fanciest lockers or weight room are underestimating the kids. If they do not like the school or the coach, don't feel they will play, the newest, shiniest stadium, practice field, etc will not bring them in.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can tell you right now most do not practice on their stadium field. Your practice facilities are much as a recruiting tool as anything else.

I agree about the grass issue... Just fix the practice area so it can be used.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Bear's conditioning and coaching, maybe, just maybe. But I would also like to think that the reasons a kid goes to a school are: 1) the school itseft, maybe they have always been a fan 2) the coaches, they get a rapport with a certain coach, maybe went to a camp 3) the tradition of the program 4) how many from that school go to the NFL 5) the ability to play and contribute 6) the facilities. I really do not buy into a kid looking at the paint job on the lockers as a deciding reason to pick a school. My son's buddy just started at Buffalo, he visited Marshall, OU, BGSU and Buffalo, he decided on Buffalo because he liked the coach, had a chance to play, and loves to fish. I think people who say the kids choose a school by who has the fanciest lockers or weight room are underestimating the kids. If they do not like the school or the coach, don't feel they will play, the newest, shiniest stadium, practice field, etc will not bring them in.

I think you under estimate what a paint job can do....a lot of kids look at investment in facilities as a investment in their future. Teams like Bama, OSU, FSU, Oregon, And USC can change coaches but their facilities always look attractive and keep players interested.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, Since the practice field area is so big, why not part grass and part turf on the outdoor practice field, because I truly do believe that you need to practice on the surface your next game is on. When in HS, we played a game on the old style turf at Laidley field, and that crap HURT, the newer stuff is MUCH better.

That is what we need 2 practice fields.

I think I understood that he didn't want to play on the grass practice field because it was so fucked up and wont drain and that the kids could get hurt from making a cut and their cleats sticking in the mud.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I understand your logic, the game has changed. Your buddy's son seems like he is well grounded. But, the hotshots schools like WVU are going after have been coddled since they were in middle school. They expect and will accept only the best.

Not all of the changes Dana has put forth are simply updated paint jobs. He has improved the functionality of the facilities... the meeting rooms... the locker room and the weight room. The improvements serve a greater purpose than just supplying the 'Wow' factor.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you right now most do not practice on their stadium field. Your practice facilities are much as a recruiting tool as anything else.

Now we are getting to the bottom of it. BB touched on it but you hit the nail on the head. No, there is not THAT much difference between grass and todays field turf but the KIDS like it so.... out of the room old men (myself included) these days, the kids get what they want, period.

Personally I like the field turf of today better than grass because the players are so specialized now in what they can do that if the ground under their feet changes it can drastically affect their performance and I for one want them to be able to perform at their very best at all times. Heck I want a retractable roof over the field to keep water off of it too! If we have a guy that can make a cut at full speed that breaks people down in the 1st quarter then I want him to be able to do it in the 3rd and 4th after the rain falls too and the opponent is tired. That said I do understand the argument for grass and the tradition angle.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nice thing about turf is that you have a consistent surface. I injured my knee on a grass field when my cleat caught in the soft dirt. Knees are not meant to bend laterally... I can see why players prefer turf, I do too. But there is a difference between playing on grass and turf. We should have a grass practice area for those road games we'll play on grass. While the conditions won't be the same as they will be for the game, it will be closer than turf. WVU just needs to make sure the field is kept up.