• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yeah let's not invest in facilities

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Stewart went 9-4 with those facilities.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Stewart went 9-4 with those facilities.

That's true what am I thinking....DH probably hired the wrong Maintenace staff. :lol:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for safety, but isnt a grass practice field meant to prepare the players for playing a game on grass? Grass tears, clumps, has different footing, and wears as the season progresses. Up till that article, everything I have ever read says grass is safer BECAUSE it gives. One sentence says they want to take the crown out of the field in the stadium, YET say the practice field doesnt drain, if you remove the crown, the stadium wont either........

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One sentence says they want to take the crown out of the field in the stadium, YET say the practice field doesnt drain, if you remove the crown, the stadium wont either........

I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing if they're replacing everything beneath the turf, there might be some new high tech draining system that would allow the water to drain through the turf without a crown...kinda like a french drain system

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing if they're replacing everything beneath the turf, there might be some new high tech draining system that would allow the water to drain through the turf without a crown...kinda like a french drain system

I just looked it up, we play about 1/4 of our games on grass, so I think it foolish to tear out the grass practice field. 2008 5 on grass, 2009 3, 2010 4, 2011 3, 2012 3, 2013 2, 20 games out of 77 were on grass since 2008.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you there Dad. They put grass on Heinz Field with safety as a reason. Although I played my HS ball on turf and the only time I got hurt was away on grass...

I think turf has come a long way and is much safer than it once was, but it seems like having a grass practice field is a good idea for those road games on grass. Ideally you should have a turf and a grass practice field.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do NFL players really feel Heinz Field is safe to play on in December? Especially after the WPIAL playoffs have ruined the field and they lay down new turf to play on.. turf that has no chance of taking root?

Why did Notre Dame replace their historic grass field with turf?

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, remember the mud bowl (Steelers vs Dolphins) at Heinz? I loved that punt that stuck in the turf!

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for feeling safe on Heinz... If they remember what the turf at the Vet in Philly was like they would. As I said, I think turf has come a long way.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, remember the mud bowl (Steelers vs Dolphins) at Heinz? I loved that punt that stuck in the turf!

OU, IAST, TCU and UMD all have grass fields, and WVU should be able to practice for real game conditions. Yet again they are trying to pussify football, ten years ago people were complaining how unsafe turf is, now they are saying playing football on grass unsafe, give me a break.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do NFL players really feel Heinz Field is safe to play on in December? Especially after the WPIAL playoffs have ruined the field and they lay down new turf to play on.. turf that has no chance of taking root?

Why did Notre Dame replace their historic grass field with turf?

Because it costs a fortune to maintain a beautiful grass field in Northern Indiana!!!!!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our players have been hurt on our grass practice fields, what more evidence do you need that they are crappy fields? All the grass fields we play on are not practiced on everyday so they are in good shape. It sounds like they can barely use the fields because they tear up with any use...would love to go back and look at the books for this project, somebody got over on WVU. 9 mil for indoor facility and outdoor facility...

Whether we like it or not the practice area is one place that recruits want to see and gets them interested ..ours is rivaled by some high schools. Eventually no matter who is coach or AD we are going to have to pony up...the money is coming so invest it into the program.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our players have been hurt on our grass practice fields, what more evidence do you need that they are crappy fields? All the grass fields we play on are not practiced on everyday so they are in good shape. It sounds like they can barely use the fields because they tear up with any use...would love to go back and look at the books for this project, somebody got over on WVU. 9 mil for indoor facility and outdoor facility...

Whether we like it or not the practice area is one place that recruits want to see and gets them interested ..ours is rivaled by some high schools. Eventually no matter who is coach or AD we are going to have to pony up...the money is coming so invest it into the program.

No one is arguing about maintenance to facilities, DC, WVU needs a grass practice field as long as there are games played on grass. If it needs regraded and a better grass planted, fine, but to tear it up and put down turf is not productive. Our players have also been hurt lifting weights, running non contact drills, stretching, hitting the sled, and playing games, football IS a physical game, and kids get hurt. Should we not go and play teams with grass fields?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm too inbred... but, unless WVU can reproduce the grass turf... the conditions of the field of the opponent... I'm not sure how it helps WVU prepare for any opponent who still plays on grass.

The grass at Maryland will not be the same at TCU.

WVU will not be able to grow the kind of grass used at OU or TCU.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm too inbred... but, unless WVU can reproduce the grass turf... the conditions of the field of the opponent... I'm not sure how it helps WVU prepare for any opponent who still plays on grass.

The grass at Maryland will not be the same at TCU.

WVU will not be able to grow the kind of grass used at OU or TCU.

WOW, just WOW, there is just no response to something as stupid as that. Whatever kind of GRASS is on the field will be a damn sight closer to the GRASS in those stadiums than carpet is...............

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW, just WOW, there is just no response to something as stupid as that. Whatever kind of GRASS is on the field will be a damn sight closer to the GRASS in those stadiums than carpet is...............

Haha... if you say so...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way some of our fans have hitched their wagon to Luck and Holgorsen, and thrown all common sense out the window is amazing.
Grass vs turf: Does it affect injury rate?
Football knee injuries likelier on artificial turf than grass | Fox News
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jhwms/SOS/Turf%20Field%20Research.pdf

As I said, if grade work and resodding need to be done, fine, but to blame grass for injuries is ridiculous. As long as ANY games are played on grass, we need a grass field to practice on. Trying to nitpick that the grass may be longer or a different variety is along the lines of saying that we have to have a different practice facility for each away game, as the stands and acoustics are different..............

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way some of our fans have hitched their wagon to Luck and Holgorsen, and thrown all common sense out the window is amazing.
Grass vs turf: Does it affect injury rate?
Football knee injuries likelier on artificial turf than grass | Fox News
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jhwms/SOS/Turf Field Research.pdf

As I said, if grade work and resodding need to be done, fine, but to blame grass for injuries is ridiculous. As long as ANY games are played on grass, we need a grass field to practice on. Trying to nitpick that the grass may be longer or a different variety is along the lines of saying that we have to have a different practice facility for each away game, as the stands and acoustics are different..............

From your first link...Grass vs turf: Does it affect injury rate?

No difference in injury rates:
A 2010 study looking at collegiate football injuries showed that FieldTurf may actually be safer than natural grass for injuries in general. This study also found no significant difference in knee injuries between surfaces. Another study in 2013 looked at injury rates between grass and artificial turf in female collegiate soccer players. This study actually showed a significantly lower total injury incidence rate and a lower rate of substantial injuries on FieldTurf. This study also showed no significant difference in knee injury rates between the two surfaces.
Since the research doesn’t give us a definitive answer regarding injury rates and artificial turf, what is the best advice regarding artificial turf? We know that the greater the traction, the higher the rate of injury. Wearing cleats made specifically for artificial turf, or better yet turf shoes, may help to decrease traction and therefore reduce lower extremity injuries.

Read more at Grass vs turf: Does it affect injury rate?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From your first link...Grass vs turf: Does it affect injury rate?

No difference in injury rates:
A 2010 study looking at collegiate football injuries showed that FieldTurf may actually be safer than natural grass for injuries in general. This study also found no significant difference in knee injuries between surfaces. Another study in 2013 looked at injury rates between grass and artificial turf in female collegiate soccer players. This study actually showed a significantly lower total injury incidence rate and a lower rate of substantial injuries on FieldTurf. This study also showed no significant difference in knee injury rates between the two surfaces.
Since the research doesn’t give us a definitive answer regarding injury rates and artificial turf, what is the best advice regarding artificial turf? We know that the greater the traction, the higher the rate of injury. Wearing cleats made specifically for artificial turf, or better yet turf shoes, may help to decrease traction and therefore reduce lower extremity injuries.

Read more at Grass vs turf: Does it affect injury rate?

NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!! EXACTLY!! So quit just parroting what Holgorsen says in an attempt to excuse what has happened on the field.