• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yay. Another season of excellence is upon us.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or more likely I predict a glorious 8-4 season with the usual loss to UGA.

Anyone want to predict anything else?

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The silly thing is, every year...at about this time....I start to get the giddy optimism of the start of the season. Like maybe this will finally be GT's break out year.

Intellectually I know that we're looking at yet another mediocre season.

And yet...before the season starts....there is still that irrational hope that things will be better.

Sort of like why people buy lottery tickets I suppose....

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think GT is the ultimate mystery team in the Coastal Division....could finish 2nd to last (UVA sucks) or first. Despite inexperienced and less talented players, the triple option still gives most teams problems. GT should be 3-0 heading into the VT game. I am predicting a 7-5 season for the Yellow Jackets.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we are undefeated after one week with an ugly win over Wofford.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just curious, is there any rumblings down there about Paul Johnson getting let go? I'm not saying there should be, but in the years since your vacated conf. championship in 09, you've won 6, 8, 7 and 7 games. Just wondering if his seat was starting to get warm at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely some. He's basically become Chan Gailey 2.0.

His gamble at getting former UVA head coach Al Groh definitely did not pan out.
With even an "average" defense we probably would have had 1-2 more wins per season during that time period.

We got former player and coach Ted Roof back for the 2013 season as DC. He improved things a little. If he keeps up the trend our D may help keep the pressure off Johnson.

If you look at our alumni base, the alumni who graduated before 1960 still remember a time when GT football was a dominant national powerhouse. However there's not a lot of that alumni group still alive. If you look at the alumni group that graduated between say 1965 and 1988, most of the time GT was lucky to have winning seasons during that time period and their expectations are lower. If you look at the alumni that have graduated since 1990, they've seen us win a national title, but they've also seen us go 1-10 on a season. I'm in the last group. We assume tech will have winning seasons and would like to be able to beat UGA at least 33% of the time.

To that end, Johnson is falling short. But we're not necessarily the ones writing the big alumni checks.
Most major donors are going to be 50+ years old and that's the middle group of people that didn't see many winning seasons. I have no idea how much pressure they are putting on the administration to get rid of Johnson.

bravesfan

simpobissible=making the simple into impossible
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not expect for georgia tech to resign cpj after his contract is up

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not expect for georgia tech to resign cpj after his contract is up

He could still turn things around. But I tend to agree.

If he managed to go 9-3 or better on the regular season, beat UGA, and win a bowl game....all would be forgiven.

If he did that and then pulled in a recruiting class in the top 25 we probably would start construction on a statue of him on campus.

But the trend of 7-5 regular seasons with a loss to UGA and losing our bowl game and recruiting classes that never crack the top 40 is just not acceptable.

bravesfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could still turn things around. But I tend to agree.

If he managed to go 9-3 or better on the regular season, beat UGA, and win a bowl game....all would be forgiven.

If he did that and then pulled in a recruiting class in the top 25 we probably would start construction on a statue of him on campus.

But the trend of 7-5 regular seasons with a loss to UGA and losing our bowl game and recruiting classes that never crack the top 40 is just not acceptable.

A lot of the boosters are very disgruntled with cpj, I don't see a cpj GT team goin 9-3 any time soon. There best chance to beat georgia was last year, and I just don't see cpj pulling a top 25 recruiting class.

GT athletic dept is a disaster, they could on the same path that Colorado is on

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep it up, I want you to be 3-0 when you come to B-burg.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep it up, I want you to be 3-0 when you come to B-burg.

We should be. Our next game is against Georgia Southern. We should get one more game of delusion before the season returns to normal.

Nice win against tOSU!:suds:

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-0! Delusion maxiumus time!!!! Sting em!

bravesfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no such thing as an ugly win, but it's tough to watch a team squander a 35-10 lead and have to force a turnover and drive the field to win the game

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still haven't even cracked the "others receiving votes" section of either the AP or Coaches polls. I guess they've grown wise to our early scheduling.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things GT needs to do to win against Va Tech.

1. Play TWO halves of football. Only showing up for one half will not cut it against them.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be wrong in saying this, but I've always felt that GT's main weakness during the Paul Johnson era is that their defense has been pretty mediocre.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I also think the mediocre recruiting classes are unacceptable (I do believe that recruiting stars can be a tad over-rated though), especially considering that Georgia Tech is based in Atlanta, Georgia of all places.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be wrong in saying this, but I've always felt that GT's main weakness during the Paul Johnson era is that their defense has been pretty mediocre.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I also think the mediocre recruiting classes are unacceptable (I do believe that recruiting stars can be a tad over-rated though), especially considering that Georgia Tech is based in Atlanta, Georgia of all places.

Our defense has been mediocre to bad. Our offense has been mediocre to great.

As far as recruiting, there may not be much difference between say, the #1 ranked recruiting class and the #10. But there is a huuuge difference between the #10 class and the #45. So far I think Paul Johnson's best class was ranked 41. In something like 6-7 years of recruiting. There is a lot of top quality football talent in the south in general and Georgia in specific. It would be nice if we could lure some of it to Atlanta.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But on an up note, GT is now 4-0! I get to be delusional for one more week! Huzzah!

We have a bye week before we host Miami.

I'm still predicting an 8-4 season.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, we cracked the "others receiving votes" section of the polls and are now ranked #33 in both the AP and Coaches polls..