• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU's Road to the Big 12

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac 12 members made $20.83M each off of 1st and 2nd tier revenue, Big 12 members made $20M each, if that is your defininition of "trump", so be it.......Not sure why you're anti Big 12

I thought their package included tier 3 rights to the Pac Network.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac 12 members made $20.83M each off of 1st and 2nd tier revenue, Big 12 members made $20M each, if that is your defininition of "trump", so be it.......Not sure why you're anti Big 12

The CURRENT PAC members made that, ADD Texas, OU, OSU and TT and that would go up GREATLY. I am NOT anti B12, exes, I am just not blinded by rose colored glasses. The B12 was on death's door three years ago, four teams bolted, four current members wanted out, they made a knee jerk reaction inviting us and TCU. Since adding us and TCU, they have done exactly nothing, just sitting there, there was talk last year when UMD left the ACC of the B12 going hard for Clemson and FSU, but nothing happened, had they done that, I would feel better about the future of the B12, but they just let it fade away.
I feel sure that had UL gone to the B12, WVU would be entering the ACC now, playing all of our traditional rivals every year. I couldn't give two shits about playing anyone in the B12 outside of Texas and OU.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The conference that better look out is the ACC, they are in bed with Satan himself, the same one who helped wreck the BE, Notre Dame. With them giving ND their way they will suffer in years to come.

Mike, the ACC has ESPN on their side. I wish the other big schools would man up and quit scheduling ND at all, the B11 always said they wanted ND in their league, they could have forced them years ago if they would have quit scheduling them for a few years, when ND has nothing but MAC schools on their schedule, they would BEG to join a league!!!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CURRENT PAC members made that, ADD Texas, OU, OSU and TT and that would go up GREATLY. I am NOT anti B12, exes, I am just not blinded by rose colored glasses. The B12 was on death's door three years ago, four teams bolted, four current members wanted out, they made a knee jerk reaction inviting us and TCU. Since adding us and TCU, they have done exactly nothing, just sitting there, there was talk last year when UMD left the ACC of the B12 going hard for Clemson and FSU, but nothing happened, had they done that, I would feel better about the future of the B12, but they just let it fade away.
I feel sure that had UL gone to the B12, WVU would be entering the ACC now, playing all of our traditional rivals every year. I couldn't give two shits about playing anyone in the B12 outside of Texas and OU.

Since we are dealing in hypotheticals here, what happens if/when Charlie Strong is a home run at Texas and the Longhorns become a playoff team 2-3 years in a row and maybe win a NC or two (which is just as likely to happen as any of the Big12 being raided scenarios, they nearly won the Big12 last season in a year where they fired their coach)? Is that LHN value gonna go up or down?

And AS that happens FSU/Clemson/VT continue to make less money (which is the name of the game now) and begin to get shut out of the playoffs from those weak football programs around them(the BCS era is over) or worse get screwed out of what SHOULD be their spot by Notre Dame who isn't a full member (sound familiar)?

Some football first programs in our region may well be seeking us rather than the other way around, we simply have no way of knowing yet.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Other than FSU and maybe VA Tech, who else would you be interested in playing in the ACC? Grant it, it's an easier conference to compete in, but other than those 2 schools, who else entices you? There are other teams in the Big 12 that are just as attractive to play, other than Texas and OU. Not to mention, the ACC is a basketball conference now.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than FSU and maybe VA Tech, who else would you be interested in playing in the ACC? Grant it, it's an easier conference to compete in, but other than those 2 schools, who else entices you? There are other teams in the Big 12 that are just as attractive to play, other than Texas and OU. Not to mention, the ACC is a basketball conference now.

Our traditional rivals are in the ACC, sPitt, VPI, 'Cuse, BC, Miami, plus I grew to like playing UL, and I am intrigued with Clemson, FSU, NCST. As to easier, I wouldnt bank on that, yes they have some crappy teams, but so does the B12. Of course with our current coach, it would be tough competition anywhere.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me laugh to read a WVU fan say he'd prefer to see WVU play against schools that left them to die.

A true Mountaineer....

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wile some of those rivalries were good, I do not mind our schedule now, when I hear people say they don't care about this team or that team I always scratch my head and think "when did I ever care about the opponents" I want WVU to beat whoever they play...I didn't cheer against any team more than I did Okie St last year...and if you were at OkieSTlast year I would argue that the stadium was as loud as any Pitt,VaTech, or Cuse game I have ever been in attendance.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we used to play all of them DAD. We also used to play in the Southern Conference. Why don't we just resume that schedule?

:deadhorse:

Personally, I'm glad to be done with the east coast media darlings. All they did was make WVU look bad. They were the source of all the negative media stories about us. Now that we're in the Big XII those stories are gone. Now the stories you see are about how great WVU fans are.

Playing in the Big XII hasn't hurt attendance. You point to 33,000 vs IAST, but in 1995 we only drew 38,000 for Pitt. I'm not digging through attendance from every season, but low attendance is very common throughout WVU's history. 1994 saw a nationally ranked Syracuse team draw a whopping 40,000!! So please, stuff it. You are just plain wrong about the Big XII being the reason for low numbers.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me laugh to read a WVU fan say he'd prefer to see WVU play against schools that left them to die.

A true Mountaineer....

Makes me laugh to read a bunch of "fans" say they don't care about a 100+ year rivalry, THAT is a laugh. A bunch of Ollie Luck fanboys just flapping in the breeze saying Yay Ollie to whatever he does.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me laugh to read a bunch of "fans" say they don't care about a 100+ year rivalry, THAT is a laugh. A bunch of Ollie Luck fanboys just flapping in the breeze saying Yay Ollie to whatever he does.

I am not saying I do not care about the Pitt game, what I am saying is I do not root against the teams we play now any less than teams we played before. I do not look done at the schedule now and say " oh this sucks Pitt is not on here". Nothing we can do about that.

We do not need rivalry games to stay relevant and even if we would have stayed in the AAc we would still not be playing these teams, has nothing to do with our move...

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Army Navy
Harvard Yale
Notre Dame Navy....

sure there is some respect for tradition but.... big picture, nobody gives a sh*t about those games either.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, this is all about perception. Facts don't matter, only perceived "truth". I'm happy we're in the Big XII. I'm glad to be away from the aristocratic ACC/former Big East. We were nothing more to them than a guest at their "Dinner for Schmucks". Here's to the success and growth of the Big XII!

I cant upvote this comment enough:clap:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying I do not care about the Pitt game, what I am saying is I do not root against the teams we play now any less than teams we played before. I do not look done at the schedule now and say " oh this sucks Pitt is not on here". Nothing we can do about that.

We do not need rivalry games to stay relevant and even if we would have stayed in the AAc we would still not be playing these teams, has nothing to do with our move...

DC, I think rivalry games are vital to sports of every level. High schools have rivals, colleges have rivals, NFL teams, MLB teams, soccer teams, I think Luck has seen this, and that is the reason he is striving to get some of our old rivals back on the schedule. I just cant believe so many guys are on here saying they grew tired of playing sPitt, just a flat out lie on their part trying to convince themselves that they like playing Kansas.....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU does not have to be in the ACC in order to keep its long standing rivalry with Pitt going. The fact that WVU does not have Pitt on its schedule has nothing to do with Luck, nor his effort to get WVU in the Big 12.

Pitt and WVU should be playing every year.

And, Luck has tried to make this happen. Luck is the greatest…

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting how DAD is complaining about Luck doing away with all of WVU's rivals mere days after scheduling the Hokies for 2017.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting how DAD is complaining about Luck doing away with all of WVU's rivals mere days after scheduling the Hokies for 2017.

Heck with the Chokies and Spitt. I want Marshall:doh:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:wtf2:Yet again, run your mouth before reading..... I gave Luck credit for trying and getyting some of our rivals back on the schedule.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have to remember, Mac, Poppy loves the 100+ year rivalry with Pitt, BUT, VT vs. WVU is his favorite. Now that Luck has scheduled VT, he will bitch until Pitt is on the schedule. This will probably continue until Luck makes WVU an Independent and schedules every former BE school every season. Remember, nobody likes playing Kansas & Iowa State, but we sure like us some BE teams. :L

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since old rivalries are useless, I wonder why the Steelers and Browns still play, Hell, Ohio State and Michigan should stop playing, and Auburn-Alabama, that is just a ridiculous game to play.