• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU's Road to the Big 12

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ESPN is still a cable station.... right? It essentially owns the ACC. The expansion of the ACC was done to increase its footprint With that known piece of information, exactly how would WVU expand the ACC's footprint?

The ACC wants a network similar to the SEC. Would WV and its cable subscribers look as attractive financially as markets like Tampa, Orlando, Philadelphia, Raleigh?

UConn adds NYC.

I recall the SEC flirtation with WVU, and ESPN was dead set against WVU due to the lack of TV sets and subscribers it could consider within its market. Has this analysis changed?

Even if nobody watches PITT in Pittsburgh as you claim, one can't just give WVU the Pittsburgh market.

That's the dream world I live in...:lol:
WVU is in the Pittsburgh market. Morgantown is and always has been considered "Pittsburgh" by the FCC. That doesn't mean WVU draws Pittsburgh metro viewers.

As far as TV goes, we're going about this the wrong way. We need to be talking about the stats that show West Virginians watch more TV than any other populace in the US. The AVERAGE person in WV watches 3 hours a day, the most of any state. :)

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exes, I worry what will happen to WVU in the next round, when the B12 folds because the PAC came calling and Texas, OU, OSU, and TT go West. I also wonder about the near future with Holgorsen as coach, the losses are mounting, season ticket sales are down, the stadium was half empty for the final home game last year. Doesnt seem the right direction. Many on here only talk of making money, is that really all people want from their college sports? I couldnt care less how much money they make, I want to see wins, I want to see WVU play teams I care to play, and as witnessed by the 33,000 people at Mountaineer field for the IAST game, many agree.
Yeah, because we've never seen low attendance before...

November 21, 1992
1:00 PM Louisiana Tech*
Mountaineer Field • Morgantown, WV
W 23–3 Attendance 27,751

November 24, 1994
#22 Syracuse Mountaineer Field • Morgantown, WV (Ben Schwartzwalder Trophy)
W 13–0 Attendance 40,369

And since we'd draw SO MUCH BETTER if we played "TRADITIONAL" foes...

November 24, 1995
Pittsburgh
Mountaineer Field • Morgantown, WV (Backyard Brawl) W 21–0 38,795

38,000 for Pitt. FOR FUCKING PITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't tell me low attendance is because it was IAST.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I was at the Syracuse game in 94. There is no way there was 40k people there. I moved from the upper deck to the 50 yard line because the stadium was empty.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU is in the Pittsburgh market. Morgantown is and always has been considered "Pittsburgh" by the FCC. That doesn't mean WVU draws Pittsburgh metro viewers

While I understand your point, I don't believe Pittsburgh was included in the SEC evaluation of TV market share for WVU.... just Wheeling, Charleston and Beckley.

As the ACC had already grabbed PITT, it had this market anyways...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shrinking attendance at games is an issue all over CFB not just WVU. UGA has had Issues as well as LSU two fantastic fan bases with teams that win a lot, TV/internet viewing is the wave of the future IMO, too many games fans want to watch and keep up with besides their own team. WV has so many people scattered across the country due to the piss poor economy in state that WVU can make a dent in several markets nationwide (huge base in NC, see the game vs UT in Charlotte)People tend to grow up and move to another state but remain loyal to that flying WV even if they never attend WVU.

Going to a game live will always be special but time,money, and convenience are steering people away from going to EVERY live event more and more. It's not everywhere but it IS happening at a lot of schools.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I understand your point, I don't believe Pittsburgh was included in the SEC evaluation of TV market share for WVU.... just Wheeling, Charleston and Beckley.

As the ACC had already grabbed PITT, it had this market anyways...
There is a strong following up here when compared to other college teams. Let's face it, Pittsburgh belongs to the Steelers. No amateur sports team is going to be a major draw.

Listen, this is all about perception. Facts don't matter, only perceived "truth". I'm happy we're in the Big XII. I'm glad to be away from the aristocratic ACC/former Big East. We were nothing more to them than a guest at their "Dinner for Schmucks". Here's to the success and growth of the Big XII!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things change...

Once upon a time, WVU was facing the likes of Washington and Jefferson, Washington and Lee, VMI, and George Washington on a regular basis.

I understand the feelings related to rivalries like SU, VT and Pitt... as well as PSU...

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exes, I worry what will happen to WVU in the next round, when the B12 folds because the PAC came calling and Texas, OU, OSU, and TT go West. I also wonder about the near future with Holgorsen as coach, the losses are mounting, season ticket sales are down, the stadium was half empty for the final home game last year. Doesnt seem the right direction. Many on here only talk of making money, is that really all people want from their college sports? I couldnt care less how much money they make, I want to see wins, I want to see WVU play teams I care to play, and as witnessed by the 33,000 people at Mountaineer field for the IAST game, many agree.

There won't be a next round. I thoroughly believe in order for the Big 12 to survive it will have to expand, the conference will add new members. All this crap happened when the B1G reached out and contacted Texas about expansion. Then realignment started happening so Texas was contacted by the Pac and that's when Texas was going to negotiate with the Pac to bring the Big 12 South with them. Anyway, the #1 factor that killed any expansion was the Texas State Legislature. Texas politics will make it difficult to almost impossible for Texas to leave the Big 12, not to mention we now have our own network. The Big 12 isn't going anywhere and if anything, it will expand. I'm thinking the Big 12 adds UCF for sure and then maybe a school like Memphis. Regarding your money statement, us alumni and fans do not care about the money aspect (Not sure about you, but I don't receive one penny from the LHN or TV revenues from UT), but this is what the schools only care about today. History and tradition do not mean anything anymore (just refer to Aggy and MiZZWHO who whored themselves out like a cheap prostitute to the SEC for more money and did not give two shits about history and tradition). Regardless, I thoroughly believe the Big 12 will be very aggressive should there be another round of realignment. I don't see Texas leaving the Big 12 simply b/c Texas would be taking a major paycut.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a strong following up here when compared to other college teams. Let's face it, Pittsburgh belongs to the Steelers. No amateur sports team is going to be a major draw.

Listen, this is all about perception. Facts don't matter, only perceived "truth". I'm happy we're in the Big XII. I'm glad to be away from the aristocratic ACC/former Big East. We were nothing more to them than a guest at their "Dinner for Schmucks". Here's to the success and growth of the Big XII!

Exactly!!! Nobody knows what the hell is going to happen. It's all perception. All I know is what the facts are telling me right now and that is the Big 12 is a tough as hell conference, Big 12 members made more money than SEC, Pac 12 and ACC members, Big 12 members share TV revenue equally and the Big 12 has a solid, lucrative 1st and 2nd tier TV contract.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unless the Big 12 falls significantly behind in prestige or money the Pac 12 isn't getting those schools. Why would we take a slight raise to have the same travel issues WV has right now? Texas would probably take a pay cut going to the Pac 12 considering what we get from the LHN. They already put on the full court press for the Big 12 schools they wanted and it just wasn't a better deal than what the Big 12 had to offer. WV leaving the Big 12 is a more likely scenario than any Big 12 schools joining the Pac 12. If that happened then maybe the talks with the Pac 12 reopen because there just isn't a viable replacement for any school leaving at this point.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chicken little said the SKY IS FALLING...........You know doomsday is right around the corner.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big thing is that we are in the big 65 now. Expect the NCAA to allow the Big 65 to permit full cost of attendance payments to players and autonomy from certain NCAA rules. There will be a big difference between the Big 65 and the UConns/Cincy/USFs of the world. The will not be able to compete with the financial benefits given to the Big 65 players.

WVU has a seat at the table. there may be realingment in the future, but it will involve shuffling of the Big 65. I could see 4 16 team conferences which would leave one team out of the picture, but I doubt that that team would be WVU.

Most on this board would like to see WVU in a position to compete for a NC sometime in the future. We can do that in the B12. Some (or at least one) would rather see us dominate the WV conference and go undefeated every year only to be left out of the possibility of anything better.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the Big 12 falls significantly behind in prestige or money the Pac 12 isn't getting those schools. Why would we take a slight raise to have the same travel issues WV has right now? Texas would probably take a pay cut going to the Pac 12 considering what we get from the LHN. They already put on the full court press for the Big 12 schools they wanted and it just wasn't a better deal than what the Big 12 had to offer. WV leaving the Big 12 is a more likely scenario than any Big 12 schools joining the Pac 12. If that happened then maybe the talks with the Pac 12 reopen because there just isn't a viable replacement for any school leaving at this point.
WVU has no suitors. The ACC and B1G have zero interest. The PAC 12 is out. The SEC would be the only possibility and that's very highly unlikely. If the SEC expands further they will target a bigger fish.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big thing is that we are in the big 65 now. Expect the NCAA to allow the Big 65 to permit full cost of attendance payments to players and autonomy from certain NCAA rules. There will be a big difference between the Big 65 and the UConns/Cincy/USFs of the world. The will not be able to compete with the financial benefits given to the Big 65 players.

WVU has a seat at the table. there may be realingment in the future, but it will involve shuffling of the Big 65. I could see 4 16 team conferences which would leave one team out of the picture, but I doubt that that team would be WVU.

Most on this board would like to see WVU in a position to compete for a NC sometime in the future. We can do that in the B12. Some (or at least one) would rather see us dominate the WV conference and go undefeated every year only to be left out of the possibility of anything better.

Another, why is this the thought? WVU was in position to win the national "championship" three times, 1988 as an independent, and 1993 and 2007 as a member of the BE, so saying we stand no chance except through the B12 is hogwash. As to WVU having a seat if the B12 does go away, BB said here many times that the ACC will not take WVU under any circumstances, and the SEC doesnt want us, so where will that seat come from? I doubt the B11 or PAC will want us, so the only hope would be the SEC relents because Saban convinces them.

Exes, go back and re read what went on, the PAC decided not to take Texas due to the LHN, the four schools didnt turn down the PAC. AND the PAC+ those four schools trumps the B12 in money, as well as any other league.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicken little said the SKY IS FALLING...........You know doomsday is right around the corner.

Prepare for the worst, but pray for the best, Mike. The B12 is doing EXACTLY what the BE did, sitting on their hands as the smallest of the big leagues while the rest of the leagues drive the bus.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prepare for the worst, but pray for the best, Mike. The B12 is doing EXACTLY what the BE did, sitting on their hands as the smallest of the big leagues while the rest of the leagues drive the bus.

You know this is not true, the BE was driving a different bus with BBall it's fuel...we are in no way the same situation as we were before. No one is even talking expansion except for bloggers and fans. Plus there are still valuable markets to add if we feel the need....in the mean time we are still making more than 3 of the power confs payouts.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The failure of the BE had little to do with sitting on their hands as they always replaced programs with whoever the biggest name remaining was. They were chosen by the networks to die by propping up their chief competitor in the ACC over an originally superior product in the original Big East. If the networks decide to kill the Big 12 then adding a bunch of teams won't matter either. Right now they want your league to exist (Big 12). I guess be thankful for that if you like having a shot at the football playoffs. Because make no mistake, if you aren't playing in one of the power 5 you aren't making the playoffs (Notre Dame exemption obviously).

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another, why is this the thought? WVU was in position to win the national "championship" three times, 1988 as an independent, and 1993 and 2007 as a member of the BE, so saying we stand no chance except through the B12 is hogwash. As to WVU having a seat if the B12 does go away, BB said here many times that the ACC will not take WVU under any circumstances, and the SEC doesnt want us, so where will that seat come from? I doubt the B11 or PAC will want us, so the only hope would be the SEC relents because Saban convinces them.

Exes, go back and re read what went on, the PAC decided not to take Texas due to the LHN, the four schools didnt turn down the PAC. AND the PAC+ those four schools trumps the B12 in money, as well as any other league.

Pac 12 members made $20.83M each off of 1st and 2nd tier revenue, Big 12 members made $20M each, if that is your defininition of "trump", so be it.......Not sure why you're anti Big 12

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac 12 members made $20.83M each off of 1st and 2nd tier revenue, Big 12 members made $20M each, if that is your defininition of "trump", so be it.......Not sure why you're anti Big 12
It's just DAD being DAD... You'll get used to him not making sense.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The conference that better look out is the ACC, they are in bed with Satan himself, the same one who helped wreck the BE, Notre Dame. With them giving ND their way they will suffer in years to come.