• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU QB situation

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is up with the QB's?

Trickett and Childress IMO seem like a bunch of feaskin knuckleheads out there that do not want to put the time in to learn this offense...DH said it today Trickett cannot change the play at the line..well if a player cannot run the full offense isn't he more of a liability?

I am surprised as well since Geno and the other 8 QB's before him all picked he the offense really quickly and all had major years running it.

I guess I am moving more towards putting Millard back in there, does not have the physical tools as the other two, but at least he knows the offense...and lets face it...they all have one loss and well Pauls looked a lot better than the other two.

So what do you guys think? Who would you play?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If healthy Id stick with Trickett, just because he has the ability to extend plays with his legs while the other two cant. With our lineplay not producing anything with the run game we need that.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC,

I am with you.

Paul understands his limitations, and can get WVU in the best play. His problem is that he may not be able to execute it due to physical limitations. The coaches need to call plays that are tailored to his skillset.

Ford and Clint create problems for the coaching staff... due to their limited knowledge of signals and plays.

I texted slaton10 last weekend that Clint may be an idiot. Only explanation I have for him... I truly don't know why he would still be struggling with these things this far into it if he were really trying to learn.

As always, with this O-line it may all be for not. We saw Geno and 2 other NFL selections struggle to produce when the line play was horrible last year too.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, that may be on Trickett. Perhaps he and Childress don't have the mental tools to run the offense. Of course that's speculation. What we do know is that Millard can't get the ball to the flat with any kind of velocity and accuracy. At this point I think we need a QB who can make the throws, even if he makes the mental errors. I don't see where it does us any good to have a QB who can't throw the ball more than 20 yards in any direction. If nothing else maybe having Trickett in will keep the secondary from creeping up on the line.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac,

I hear you, and share your thoughts about Paul's throws to the flat.

However, even before Clint was injured in the Okie St. game, his throws were quite inaccurate. Overthrown... under thrown... into the ground...

The only thing Clint gives you... IMO... is some mobility. He can scramble and use his feet... which is a big deal with this offensive line that can't block a 3 man front.

But, the fact he doesn't know how to audible... that the coaches can't be confident he'll run the play they want.... when they want... offsets his scrambling ability to the nth degree for me.

Paul put WVU in position to when the OU game. The OU defense is hands down the best defense this team has faced this year.

IMO... enough said...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big picture I do worry a lil about Dana's ability to get a big time prep QB. Ford could develop into a very good one but our other two weren't big time recruits and don't look like they will finish all that great either all things considered. With so many other programs now going to our style of offense and knowing how important the QB spot is, it will be interesting to see how he does on the recruiting trail moving forward. Personally I would LOVE to see us land a solid passing QB that's also a good running threat..... but then I am also wishing for the same thing as 90% of CFB fans.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't William Crest considered a dual threat? I have read a lot of good reports on him from scout.com.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't William Crest considered a dual threat? I have read a lot of good reports on him from scout.com.

Yes number 7 overall QB. I believe

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've seen ( to his defense it could be different when he gets here) he looks like more of the pro style than any kind of real run threat. I just expected us to have QB's beating down the door when the word got out that Dana was here and we had room a few years ago. Rawlins was soso on the talent level but looked like he could have been a very dangerous runner but circumstances took him back home.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well regardless if it is Crest or not, we need to get one for next year....with the returners we should be primed for a good season.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, I hear ya. There is no good solution. My concern with Millard is that every team will load 9 in the box since he can't throw it over the top. Clint is inaccurate (but so is Paul) and may call the wrong play and can't audible. The high side to Clint is that they can't load the box because he can go over the top. He's also the toughest, and most poised. There's always Childress. Good arm, but can't handle the pressure.

*sigh* We may as well play ring around the rosie or have them rochambeau for it.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report Ive seen( 247 sports) has him as pro style and up to #17 from #20 QB in the country earlier. Not listed as a DT at all, from the video Ive seen I have to agree.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scout.com: William Crest Profile

Not sure whether it will work or not, but this page on Crest includes a video which shows him running the zone read.

The guy does not have blazing speed... it shows him with a 4.8.

But, Collin Klein did not have blazing speed either.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
westvirginia.247sports.com/Article/Holgorsen-Looking-For-Answers-at-QB-154822

We still have not figured this out, this is a damn shame. I say play Millard, I will take my chances of him with the long ball over two guys who can't audible out of a run when there are nine guys in the box. Basically with Clint we call a play and he runs it because he can't change it. Either way we need a QB1, not rotating chairs.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
westvirginia.247sports.com/Article/Holgorsen-Looking-For-Answers-at-QB-154822

We still have not figured this out, this is a damn shame. I say play Millard, I will take my chances of him with the long ball over two guys who can't audible out of a run when there are nine guys in the box. Basically with Clint we call a play and he runs it because he can't change it. Either way we need a QB1, not rotating chairs.
I know Dana is sold on his offense and I agree with the pieces in place its very very good but with our Line and QB's Im not so sure we shouldn't go triple option for a game or two L

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They all three have strengths and weaknesses, I wish they would just pick one, call plays to his strength, and do the best the team can do.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Dana is sold on his offense and I agree with the pieces in place its very very good but with our Line and QB's Im not so sure we shouldn't go triple option for a game or two L

Man... did you see the attempt to run the option against Baylor? Wow.... that was ugly.

Our WR's don't block... the line don't block... the RB's don't block.

I don't know what you do...