• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU MIAMI game thread

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense looked prepared. First qtr was awesome. One bad play by Crawford and they all just fell apart.
I think Miami made the adjustments and Gibby and his 3-3-5 did 3-3-5 things after that and got out coached. Gibby admitted that he panicked just before the half and then, just like always when we needed a stop late in the game being behing the 3-3-5 got exploited again and again. Gibby is coming into his own and will learn from this, I just hope he learns that the 3-3-5 is a gimmick and shouldn't be your primary defense if you want to win a championship.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We needed success running the ball. Crawford disappeared and shell was worthless. McKay and pettaway looked good. What happened to the O line?

It wasn't all on the Oline,

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg --------------------------------------------
Howard, Skyler 21 106 43 63 1 29 3.0
Pettaway, M 3 16 0 16 0 13 5.3
Crawford, J 6 18 2 16 0 9 2.7
McKoy, Kennedy 1 6 0 6 1 6 6.0
Shell, Rushel 6 5 5 0 0 2 0.0
TEAM 2 0 6 -6 0 0 -3.0
Totals... 39 151 56 95 2 29 2.4

Explain that one, did Dana call THAT many run plays for Howard? I have a hard time buying that he did. Tough for our RB's to get into any kind of rhythm with the QB stealing so many carries. Yea some were sacks but I think that only counted for 4 carries...

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think next year will be better if Grier or Saunders (I think Saunders is going to do special things) live up to their hype. I will give Howard credit for having heart, but I believe we were a capable QB away from having a much better team.

This game was lost from boneheaded plays, the zebras did us no favors, I think the zebras made a 21 point difference in this game.

Bottom line we got beat by a good team, this Miami team is going to be scarry good in two years maybe by next year. Richt is a great coach, and will do great things at the U.

We still had a good season, and I'm glad Holgerson is our coach, I really love his passion, just hope he don't have a heart attack one day on the field.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't all on the Oline,

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg --------------------------------------------
Howard, Skyler 21 106 43 63 1 29 3.0
Pettaway, M 3 16 0 16 0 13 5.3
Crawford, J 6 18 2 16 0 9 2.7
McKoy, Kennedy 1 6 0 6 1 6 6.0
Shell, Rushel 6 5 5 0 0 2 0.0
TEAM 2 0 6 -6 0 0 -3.0
Totals... 39 151 56 95 2 29 2.4

Explain that one, did Dana call THAT many run plays for Howard? I have a hard time buying that he did. Tough for our RB's to get into any kind of rhythm with the QB stealing so many carries. Yea some were sacks but I think that only counted for 4 carries...

I think he called different plays at times, and even the announcers thought he called the wrong play.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Painful game. I was texting with Slaton last night. As I told him, I had Monday off and spent a good bit of time getting myself familiar with Miami. I knew their front 7 would give our OL fits. All season long, the OL really struggled when going up against a talented front 7.

As Dana stated, this was the best defense WVU faced all season. Big 12 defenses truly suck!

Skyler can't compensate for a poor OL. I'm not sure any QB could.

I thought the defense played fine. 363 yds. 31 points. Not bad results...

I've said this for years, unless WVU starts recruiting talented football players on the OL and DL, they will always be at a disadvantage like we witnessed last night. There was a huge talent gap.

I've said this many times this year too... WVU's record was accomplished beating no one. This is similar to the good ole days that so many want to cherish. But, it is the same old story... have a successful W/L record... get exposed in the bowl game.

Happy New Year...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well boy's the game didn't go as any of us would like but it will taint a 10 win season at least for me!...the program is going in a great direction good days are ahead!

What i saw in the game was things I would like to see Wv start to move to...I mentioned to BBW that the achilles heel of the 3-3 stack is TE..we have seen it before when teams use the pro set against it..and it burned the team down again...what I also saw was the game was just too fast for Howard and the OL....if Dana saw anything he may want to do different down the road is recruit Thick LB's that can run and get off blocks and more wirey DE's that can get up field...

I was pretty impressed with Miami...and also Richt..he could have run the score up but as usual took the classy route to a win

Hope Everyone had a Good Christmas or whatever you may have been celebrating and safe New Year!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question for me is are we really any better than we were 5 years ago?
The answer is a resounding NO, we went backwards and are now clawing back to where we were five years ago. We had a team no better than the last couple years, we played a much weaker schedule this year, as always, next year is the year.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer is a resounding NO, we went backwards and are now clawing back to where we were five years ago. We had a team no better than the last couple years, we played a much weaker schedule this year, as always, next year is the year.

A resounding no??...what over one meaningless bowl game you make that comment...get by the wins and losses brother..there is more to it than that...there is no question Wv is recruiting better talent to the program than in its entire hisitory...and the W/L record over the last two seasons would suggest you're way off base

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only our fan base can look at 10 wins and sound off like we are a terrible program....SMH. Everything is a weak schedule or just luck.....we beat teams no one else thought we would beat coming into this season and yet we still could not do enough to impress.....go back to those predictions smart guys....what was your guess???

Are we better than we were 5 years ago...

Lets see 5 years ago we went 5-2 in the Big East and OOC 3-0 (Marshall,Norfolk State, Maryland)

This year: 7-2 in the Big 12 and 3-0 OOC BYU, Missouri, Youngstown State

Wins over:Uconn,South Florida,Rutgers, Cincy, Pitt as compared to Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, K State, Iowa State, Kansas, TCU

LOL yeah no improvement at all.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only our fan base can look at 10 wins and sound off like we are a terrible program....SMH. Everything is a weak schedule or just luck.....we beat teams no one else thought we would beat coming into this season and yet we still could not do enough to impress.....go back to those predictions smart guys....what was your guess???

Are we better than we were 5 years ago...

Lets see 5 years ago we went 5-2 in the Big East and OOC 3-0 (Marshall,Norfolk State, Maryland)

This year: 7-2 in the Big 12 and 3-0 OOC BYU, Missouri, Youngstown State

Wins over:Uconn,South Florida,Rutgers, Cincy, Pitt as compared to Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, K State, Iowa State, Kansas, TCU

LOL yeah no improvement at all.
You ARE kidding right? Texas was so good that they canned their coach, Baylor was on a five game losing streak. IAST and Kansas..........come on, TCU had a shitty season compared to what they are used too, we played four ranked teams this year and went 1-3 against them......played three ranked teams in 2011 and went 2-1. BTW, we went 4-1 OOC in 2011......we are exactly where we were then, in the crappiest "power" conference, in the middle of the pack, hoping no one above us bails out.....

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A resounding no??...what over one meaningless bowl game you make that comment...get by the wins and losses brother..there is more to it than that...there is no question Wv is recruiting better talent to the program than in its entire hisitory...and the W/L record over the last two seasons would suggest you're way off base

WE actually had our best recruiting classes when RR was the coach. Dana does a better job of filling holes with JUCOs.

The B12 looked much like the old Big East except that every player was 30 lbs heavier

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which Big East? Back when Syracuse, Miami, VT, Pitt, and even Boston College had good programs or the one where we played Louisville, Pitt, USF, UConn and Rutgers? I remember meeting Brian Jozwiak on the 9th floor of Towers 2 in our Freshman year. He was 1 of 2 players who were around the 300 lbs mark. Although we have significantly improved on the offense side of the ball, the DL does not have this luxury. As mentioned several times, RR went for smaller linemen on both sides of the ball which I contribute to his scheme. I hope that as the ink dries on Dana's contract that he can sell OL on his balance attack resulting in bringing in the beef who are mobile. OU and Bama's OL look good.

I also think Texas will be back sooner than later and not because of a coaching change. Texas can fire a coach with 2 years remaining on the contract because they are Texas. Charlie came into a situation where he had to clean house to find players who wanted to play his way. Similar to what RR did. I remember living in NJ and thinking WTF is he doing. The following year I remember thinking, see you dumb ass, you cut all those players and now you are reaping what you sown. Nothing left to be said as the dumb ass was the guy who was living in NJ and not following the program or reading info on a message board. I think Charlie's stock would start rising in 2017, but Texas brass is impatient but also have the juice to change coaches whenever they want.