• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU fans are getting some love

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2013/11/11/5091428/a-fans-perspective-of-wvu-and-morgantown

I think the mentality of our fan base is changing when we host these teams, it seems we have found a way to have the back and fourth wth opposing fans without telling them to go F%ck themselves. Good to see and read about.

Stadium seemed to be rocking, wish I could have been there.

I think a lot of past issues with fan behavior were just as much other teams fans as ours, if not more. VPI and sPitt love to pour piss on us as WVU fans, but from my experience, they come to town looking for a fight.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait until we have a good team. May be my hearing going bad but I have seen many games that were louder.

Public service announcements like dont text and drive or the DUI guy riding with his mom really silences the crowd.

We used to domuch better

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait until we have a good team. May be my hearing going bad but I have seen many games that were louder.

Public service announcements like dont text and drive or the DUI guy riding with his mom really silences the crowd.

We used to domuch better

I have been to many games, I missed this one, but the Oklahoma St game was one of the loudest I have heard that place for an entire game. Texas seemed loud for the most part on TV, hopefully every fan who let a boo out there in the first half recieved a smack up side their head....we are leading by one and you want to boo the team? get a life.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get to travel to home games as much as I did in the early 80's thru the 90's as I now live in Charlotte, NC and it is a very tiring and expensive trip for the entire family to attend. But back in the early days when Nehlen was hired - the fans were a little more abusive and angry. Think of where WVU teams were back then. Penn St and Pitt dominated WV. And their fans were just as bad if not worse - both at WVU home games and at their own stadiums. They were superior and they let us know it. I think it MAY have made more than a few fans act in a less than cordial and inviting manner when opposing fans were encountered. Then there is the alcohol....

For me, the worst fan behavior I personally witnessed was @ VT back in the late 80's. VT fans were brutal, crude and totally over the top in the treatment of WVU fans. It's one thing to go at someone who is being disrepectful to you, but there were huge segments in the upper tiers above the WV visitors that were pelting families with wadded up cups full of ice. These were women and children being hit. Even as a sometime rowdy fan myself (in my youth), I was appalled and concerned. When we complained to security - they said, "What can we do? Too many of them." It was my last visit to Blacksburg. Yet another less than friendly rivalry that is likely over and I'm not sure I miss it.

Fans of any team can be unruly and disrespect visitors - but I think the psychology of WV fans is changing as our team moves up in the echelons and we mature as a program and as a fan base. At least I hope so..... I would much rather hear stories about what a great time visiting fans had and how friendly and hospitable the WV people were as opposed to hearing, "Damn, we were lucky to get out of there alive!". Nuff said.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to hear that our fans are getting some positive feedback. My co-worker and her husband were at the TX game and were seated close to a couple of TX fans. Apparently, when a TX player is injured, fans will stand and give the "hook-em" gesture until the player walks/carted off the field. There was some drunk idiot (the kind that gives us a bad name) who was harrassing them. The situation came to a head when he leaned over top of this woman and a gave an inverted hook-em gesture inches from her face. The couple were furious and got up and left. There were several WV fans who ripped the guy a new one saying to learn some manners, that's not how you treat a lady, and to sit down shut up and watch the game. I hope that other visiting fans saw the good fans giving the guy a verbal beat down and realize that all WV fans are not like that douche.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Dad. I think a lot of it is the attitude of visiting fans. There has always been an arrogance of superiority from the Big East schools we played. Not so much with the Big 12. I think the mentality of their fans is much closer to our fans than those of the Big East were.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of it may be the opposing fans, but i think some is also the change in mentality of our fans...I think our fans got sick of the bad apples and call them out on it a little more. I think uplifting the WVU program is just not a University issue, but also a community issue and I think the fans of WVU are buying into that. Some fans are always going to do stupid things, but if the majority keeps them in check it will only help the image of a fanbase.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was flying out of Pittsburgh Monday morning and starting talking to a Texas fan who was nearby in the TSA line. I asked him how he was treated at the game and he had nothing but praise for the fans that he encountered. He said that it took him and his buddies 3 hours to get through the parking lot with our fans offering food and beer to his crew and that the atmosphere was great. He said that the fans who came to Austin last year were a lot of fun and friendly. This was definitely good to hear.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was flying out of Pittsburgh Monday morning and starting talking to a Texas fan who was nearby in the TSA line. I asked him how he was treated at the game and he had nothing but praise for the fans that he encountered. He said that it took him and his buddies 3 hours to get through the parking lot with our fans offering food and beer to his crew and that the atmosphere was great. He said that the fans who came to Austin last year were a lot of fun and friendly. This was definitely good to hear.

I heard the same from LSU and Auburn fans I know, that WVU was a great CFB atmosphere.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU, auburn and Texas fans were all treated nice by us. Bring back Pitt and VA Tech and many will be back to their old selfs.

Really, how many WVU fans say they HATE Texas? There is no animosity between us and the B12 schools which is a big reason they are treated better.

Would the Eat Spitt Pitt cheer continue. Puck Fitt is still used around here much more than Tuck Fexas.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU, auburn and Texas fans were all treated nice by us. Bring back Pitt and VA Tech and many will be back to their old selfs.

Really, how many WVU fans say they HATE Texas? There is no animosity between us and the B12 schools which is a big reason they are treated better.

Would the Eat Spitt Pitt cheer continue. Puck Fitt is still used around here much more than Tuck Fexas.

Exactly, Another, we have no rivals in the B12, so no hatred between fans is there. The sPitt and VPI fans come to Morgantown or we go to their place, and there is hatred on BOTH sides, and BOTH sets of fans cause problems among the few drunk idiots.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So some are saying that you get a pass to act like an asshole when you have a rivalry with the likes of Pitt and VA Tech? Makes sense.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So some are saying that you get a pass to act like an asshole when you have a rivalry with the likes of Pitt and VA Tech? Makes sense.

Makes no sense. It is a pretty fair indication of our present society tho, there is an underlying rage, somewhere between being a fanatic supporter of issues, or a caustic individualist out to create chaos with hate filled acts of violence.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes no sense. It is a pretty fair indication of our present society tho, there is an underlying rage, somewhere between being a fanatic supporter of issues, or a caustic individualist out to create chaos with hate filled acts of violence.

Sarcasm, Jim. Sarcasm

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MAD, VPI and sPitt fans come to Morgantown spoiling for a fight, and they find it. No one said anything about a pass, I said that is the reason.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I was saying is that it's a lot easier to treat someone nice when they're not being a jerk. We still have our jerks, but you guys have been around long enough to know that people from the Eastern schools would come in here with a bad attitude and being West "By God" Virginians, we are all too happy to appease them by being what they expect.

I really think our fans have the same mental attitude as those of the other Big XII schools. Despite the distance between us, our cultures aren't nearly as different as Pitt, BC, Syracuse, etc. Attitude and culture, despite what you guys think, do make a difference.