• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WVU Defense

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May not be as bad as I originally thought.

As Slaton reminded me this week, Mizzou is ranked #4 in Total Passing and #6 in Total Offense.

BYU just put up 55 points against a pretty good Toledo team. The stud RB ran for over 240 yards and 5 TD's last night.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope the WVU defense is prepared to stop KSU's running attack, and our LB's have a game like they enjoyed against Mizzou.

I agree with Slaton, #8 looks like a player! Hope he has a big day today!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need a big performance today from the defense and special teams units. The old man is going to have a few tricks up his sleeve to trip up the offense even as good as its been so far so... gotta have em.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I didn't think TT had a great OL after watching them play KSU last weekend, Mahomes was still able to pass for over 500 yds. I did not think WVU could as much disruption as they did today. They definitely messed with Mahomes' head.

It is kind of strange to think a defense played well despite giving up over 300 yds of passing, but this is the new world we live in.

Major props to Gibby and the WVU defense! Giving up but 17 points to TT is huge!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I didn't think TT had a great OL after watching them play KSU last weekend, Mahomes was still able to pass for over 500 yds. I did not think WVU could as much disruption as they did today. They definitely messed with Mahomes' head.

It is kind of strange to think a defense played well despite giving up over 300 yds of passing, but this is the new world we live in.

Major props to Gibby and the WVU defense! Giving up but 17 points to TT is huge!
Agree, hats off to em, that was a great performance.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas will think twice before giving us an over/under in the 80s

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have never been a fan of the 3-3-5, but it is hard to argue with it yesterday. A lot of yards given up, however, at the end of the day, the final score is what counts. #2 needs to step it up. Was kind of surprised that Dana went into a Victory formation and went for the score over his old buddy. Although I liked getting the points, I thought he shouldn't have used the V-formation to score.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to go to the recording of the game. But, I think the formation WVU scored on was the T-formation they used both earlier in the game to score at the goal line, as well as in the KSU game.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think what makes a team like TT tough to play is their QB's ability to extend plays..gave up some plays over the top..but that is going to happen even in the pro's when a QB runs around like that...and when you're playing from behind the passing numbers will tend to get skewed...

I think this group is tackling better...LB play is night and day compared to the first 3 games of the season...#11 has made a huge difference since being inserted into the starting lineup..I like the way the secondary is laying the wood...but would like to see them search for the ball a little bit better...the way the Defensive front 6 are playing they should be getting a an interception or two by now...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMO, but one of two things has developed since the season opener and the next game against YSU.

1. The CB's have earned both Blue's and Gibby's confidence. Gibby has allowed more press coverage with cover 1 and cover 2 behind various blitz packages the last two games. In the first three, coverage was very soft. A lot of zone. And, of course... the 3 man rush...

2. The addition of pressure packages was designed from the start, and Gibby is simply dialing up his attack based on a plan.

The WR's WVU's defensive backs will face... with the exception of KU and UT... will be among the best in the country this year. The game against TT should be a confidence builder. Something that was clearly lacking when WVU first entered Big 12 play.

Last edited:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tackling tackling tackling......this team was aggressive against TT but they did not let them get much after the first hit. That was the most impressive thing to me.

We keep that yup and we will be in every game

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMO, but one of two things has developed since the season opener and the next game against YSU.

1. The CB's have earned both Blue's and Gibby's confidence. Gibby has allowed more press coverage with cover 1 and cover 2 behind various blitz packages the last two games. In the first three, coverage was very soft. A lot of zone. And, of course... the 3 man rush...

2. The addition of pressure packages was designed from the start, and Gibby is simply dialing up his attack based on a plan.

The WR's WVU's defensive backs will face... with the exception of KU and UT... will be among the best in the country this year. The game against TT should be a confidence builder. Something that was clearly lacking when WVU first entered Big 12 play.

Even some zero coverage on some of the Blitz packages...I thought the D Line had an exceptional game..they have another QB who likes to run around this coming weekend..TT was a good game to get out of the way to get ready for TCU

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tackling tackling tackling......this team was aggressive against TT but they did not let them get much after the first hit. That was the most impressive thing to me.

We keep that yup and we will be in every game

Just seemed they played with a better understanding where they needed to be for the majority of the game.....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even some zero coverage on some of the Blitz packages...I thought the D Line had an exceptional game..they have another QB who likes to run around this coming weekend..TT was a good game to get out of the way to get ready for TCU

Yeah... actually I meant cover 0 instead of 2. They played more cover 2 and 3 earlier in the season.

Since the pressure packages have been introduced, the number of sacks and TFL's have jumped exponentially.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be correct about the formation. I just remember thinking to myself that he didn't want to embarrass his buddy anymore then thinking that it was a dick move. I thought it was the Victory formation but could have been a T.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember my post after the Missouri game.

I'll be the first on record to say that I think this years defense will be better than last year. The Juco additions to the secondary will pay dividends. Our DL is a year older and bigger. Our secondary was toasted last year on many occasions. (See Baylor replay). I think every starter is a Jr. or Senior.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be correct about the formation. I just remember thinking to myself that he didn't want to embarrass his buddy anymore then thinking that it was a dick move. I thought it was the Victory formation but could have been a T.

If you go back to Kliff's first year as HC at TT, he came to Morgantown in 2013. At the end of the game, TT got to the WVU 5 with a little more than 1 min. left in the game. Instead of TT going into the victory formation with a 30-27 lead, Davis Webb attempted 3 passes... connecting on the last for a TD to make the final 37-27.

Payback is a bitch. Good friends and all...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go back to Kliff's first year as HC at TT, he came to Morgantown in 2013. At the end of the game, TT got to the WVU 5 with a little more than 1 min. left in the game. Instead of TT going into the victory formation with a 30-27 lead, Davis Webb attempted 3 passes... connecting on the last for a TD to make the final 37-27.

You are correct...they were in a Walter Camp 1882 version of a Straight "T" formation...pretty cool!!...I love that shizza!!

Tell you what else I liked about the game...Dana back to showing some emotion on the sidelines!!! It was the perfect time to go off the deep end! The team was listless at that very moment! THAT was GREAT coaching!

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point and I liked seeing the points on the board. I just thought he went Victory and don't like that approach if indeed you were calling off the dogs. If that were the case, it is a perfect opportunity to get somebody hurt.
Funny. I used to beg for our coaches to not let off the gas and bury a second stake through our opponents hearts. RR had no problem. Good to see it happening again. One thing about the Big 12, you better do it when the opportunity arises because it damn sure is going to happen to you....looking at you Baylor.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking Slaton texts me as I'm walking to my parents home after the game. Asks me what I think of the WVU defense now?

I love them boys! They are playing so much better than the first three games of the season. I know Gibby got on them pretty hard following the YSU game. IMO, he was as much to blame for the BYU come back as the kids trying to execute on the field.

But this is two outstanding performances in a row!