• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WV Goes on 2 years of probation as a result of Recruiting Violations

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting read here. Not sure how this really impacts the various athletic programs but I am sure it will sting a bit.

The University has released a statement from new Athletic Director Shane Lyons, as well as Executive Senior Associate AD Keli Cunningham.

Lyons: "“While I am disappointed with today’s NCAA Report, I do take note that our department found the infractions, self-reported them and worked with the NCAA in full cooperation to address and correct the issues. I am confident that the department has taken the necessary steps to correct its compliance and recruiting software program, reeducate the staff on updated NCAA changes on the rules surrounding text messages and phone calls and fulfilled our obligations to the NCAA concerning the situation long before I started as athletic director back on Feb. 2.

“I was aware of this issue when I interviewed for the job, and it did not deter my confidence at all in West Virginia University. We are and always will be committed to the legislation policies of the NCAA. Moving forward, I expect our department to continue its strong dedication to NCAA compliance.”

Cunningham: “While I am disappointed in the findings that resulted in our athletics department being responsible for a Level II infraction, it’s important to note that there was no failure to monitor, no lack of institutional control, and no failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance. There was no systemic effort by any of our coaches to violate the rules or gain a significant recruiting advantage, and that is reflected by the NCAA’s decision.

“We take this very seriously and we accept the NCAA’s findings. West Virginia University continues to be committed to the legislation and policies of the NCAA and the Big 12 Conference, and we will continue to work with the NCAA to fulfill our obligations during the probationary period. We are confident that the misunderstanding with the software package has been remedied and that we will be better equipped to help our coaches and staff avoid these kinds of infractions in the future.”

Original story below.

In a rather stunning news release this morning, the NCAA released a statement saying that West Virginia University had been found guilty of recruiting violations among fourteen different sports. It was shocking in the fact that the investigation was not publicly acknowledged by either the school or the NCAA.

The NCAA release states that the majority of the violations were impermissible texts and calls placed by various assistant coaches, many of which committed by the women's gymnastics team. There were, however, "limited" violations by the football, women's basketball and women's soccer teams, among others, as well.

The reason for much of the calls and texts was due to a misunderstanding with the compliance software and not "until the software company updated the software that the school learned of the violations." All violations were deemed to be of the Level II or Level III variety. In the end, the school and the NCAA agreed on the following sanctions.

------- Two years of probation from February 18, 2015 through February 17, 2017.

------- A one-year show-cause order for the (gymnastics) assistant coach from February 18, 2015 through February 17, 2016. During this time, the assistant coach may not recruit during the 30 days before the 2015 spring NLI signing date. He must also attend an NCAA Regional Rules seminar. Finally, the panel acknowledged and adopted the school’s suspension of one competition for the assistant coach.

------- Reduction of telephone communication in all 14 involved sports during portions of the 2013-14 and 2014-15 academic years.

------- Reduction of off-campus recruiting in football, women’s soccer, women’s basketball and men’s basketball.

------- Restrictions to official visits for the women’s soccer program.

------- Reduction of one football scholarship for the 2013-14 academic year

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't really amount to much....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity… the NCAA took quick action to place WVU on probation. Was that a result of how insignificant the findings were… the severity of the punishment?

We are still waiting for the punishment to be handed down on SU. Here in the 'Cuse… people are getting antsy because the decision is way past when it was to be announced.

And… then there is always the UNC case…

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity… the NCAA took quick action to place WVU on probation. Was that a result of how insignificant the findings were… the severity of the punishment?

We are still waiting for the punishment to be handed down on SU. Here in the 'Cuse… people are getting antsy because the decision is way past when it was to be announced.

And… then there is always the UNC case…
It was Luck. He already knew about the infractions and got this one out of the way so he can fry bigger fish.:lol:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we know now why Keli Cunningham didn't ascend to the AD's chair...

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we know now why Keli Cunningham didn't ascend to the AD's chair...
The Good Ole Boys network started up again since Luck's departure? Say it ain't so. :lol:

Wonder who was responsible for the new installation and testing it out before going live? How can you not know the rules about texting and calling recruits if your job is recruiting. It would be like an Engineer who doesn't use facts to build/design anything.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what they said the rules infractions were due to software malfunction. I'm curious to know who the vendor of the software is. Was this software distributed to other schools? Or was this a program WVU had written solely for their use?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what they said the rules infractions were due to software malfunction. I'm curious to know who the vendor of the software is. Was this software distributed to other schools? Or was this a program WVU had written solely for their use?
It looks like most of this has to do with too much contact with recruits, did this software track calls and texts??? Was it an android app that each coach had on their phone? I dont get how we rely totally on a piece of software for this......

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my understanding. The software tracked the coaches' contact and told them if contact was permissible. I don't know the details on it, that's why I was asking. I only know about the software angle from the article.