• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WR Grant to Ravens 4 year 30 million 10 mill sign bonus

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you...but your missing one thing maybe those players wanted to be Free AGents

I am not missing it...there is just no evidence to suggest it. It is impossible to know if they will accept a contract, if it is never offered. We have an exclusive period where only we can negotiate with our own.

You like to assume guys want to hit FA. Why is it most teams, 31 of them, seem to sign their own with no problem?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have offered Grant a contract worth 10 million over four seasons when the season ended.

Trent would have been 4 years, 20 mil.

Long would have been 4 years, 14 million.

Gotta get the conversation started.

So Grant having at least a hunch that he could make a lot more money if he waited you believe that he would have rushed into taking a deal that was bad for him? You must think that these players are very stupid.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta love this team you spend time and resources developing our guys , grant , TM long breeland fuller KC only to watch them get rich somewhere else

I agree with you in terms of Fuller, but in terms of the rest - open your eyes - this is happening all over the NFL. Players leave their team for more $$ - it is not just restricted to the Skins. Also - would you have paid Grant that crazy type of money (& don't just assume that he would have settled for way less to stay).

Why do you mention Murphy? It appears that the Skins may keep him. Oh well - let's just see if the Skins have a decent outing in FA - still possible.

Skins2021

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Ryan Grant signing might be the most baffling thing I have ever seen in free agency.

The money Ryan Grant and Sammy Watkins got totally justify Paul Richardsons contract. Almost seems like we got a steal.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you in terms of Fuller, but in terms of the rest - open your eyes - this is happening all over the NFL. Players leave their team for more $$ - it is not just restricted to the Skins. Also - would you have paid Grant that crazy type of money (& don't just assume that he would have settled for way less to stay).

Why do you mention Murphy? It appears that the Skins may keep him. Oh well - let's just see if the Skins have a decent outing in FA - still possible.

Exactly. One could also look at it from the point of view that because we are letting some of these guys just walk away or just refuse to pay them what other teams will, that our FO and coaching staff knows or sees something (or doesn’t see something) that others do not. After all, they spend more time with these players than anyone.

I know this organization has a checkered past, but need to put just a little faith in them that they somewhat know what they are doing with regards to how this team is ran. At least they seem to be removed from some of the bad spending habits that completely plagued this team for years.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens agreed to terms with WR Ryan Grant, formerly of the Redskins, on a four-year, $29 million contract.

The deal contains $14.5 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus. This is a real head-scratcher and reeks of desperation from GM Ozzie Newsome, who promised to overhaul the receiving corps, only to whiff on every other big name available. Grant, entering his age-28 year, came into 2017 with 39 career catches for 412 yards and two scores before "breaking out" for a 45-573-4 line last season. He's the new default No. 1 receiver in Baltimore.
Related: Ravens

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 13 - 8:43 PM

what a joke. this guy has done nothing.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Grant having at least a hunch that he could make a lot more money if he waited you believe that he would have rushed into taking a deal that was bad for him? You must think that these players are very stupid.

Is that what I said? I said you make an offer and see if we are close to agreement. If you think Grant expected to see this kind of money back in December, then can I have some of what you are snorting?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These surprisingly high WR deals you're seeing tell you exactly how little NFL GMs think of the WR class in this year's draft.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These surprisingly high WR deals you're seeing tell you exactly how little NFL GMs think of the WR class in this year's draft.

There are always overpays in FA. Grant just takes the cake.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are always overpays in FA. Grant just takes the cake.
Yes, we see some FAs get overpaid every year, but this year, the whole FA WR class is getting overpaid, almost to a man. Watkins, Robinson, Wilson, Richardson, Grant, etc.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we see some FAs get overpaid every year, but this year, the whole FA WR class is getting overpaid, almost to a man. Watkins, Robinson, Wilson, Richardson, Grant, etc.

Robinson was going to get paid b/c of his age. The others I agree except for Richardson. I thought he was a deal compare to the others. Only 20mg on a 5 year deal. That is not a lot at all.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean Ryan Gruden?...:pound:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thing is, you cant really call it an over payment unless a guy simply fails. We overpaid Pryor because he did NOTHING for us. But as we see, the price for WRs went up. You cant really asses what a guy SHOULD cost based on what the position got paid three years ago. Every QB from the 80-90's probably feels they were underpaid based on what guys are getting today. And in a year or two, Kirk at $28M a season will be a bargain..... unless he flops in Minnesota. An item, or employee is only worth as much as you get in return from the money you spent.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, you cant really call it an over payment unless a guy simply fails. We overpaid Pryor because he did NOTHING for us. But as we see, the price for WRs went up. You cant really asses what a guy SHOULD cost based on what the position got paid three years ago. Every QB from the 80-90's probably feels they were underpaid based on what guys are getting today. And in a year or two, Kirk at $28M a season will be a bargain..... unless he flops in Minnesota. An item, or employee is only worth as much as you get in return from the money you spent.
I disagree. Imo, paying for potential is overpaying (Watkins, Richardson, Grant, etc.). OTOH, I saw the signing of Pryor as a bargain b/c he was coming off a 1,000 yd season and he was signed for 6M.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Imo, paying for potential is overpaying (Watkins, Richardson, Grant, etc.). OTOH, I saw the signing of Pryor as a bargain b/c he was coming off a 1,000 yd season and he was signed for 6M.

Paying for production elsewhere make no sense to me. That is usually what I consider an overpay. Because too often you end up with a case like Pryor. Where he did well for a year some place else, you drop six million on him and he doesnt quite fit in. Washington has been chasing the LB position for years after not resigning Rak, now yes we got similar production, but for more money and have thrown quite a few roster spots at the position for that production.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he signed with the bills

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gentlemen, if you're in the NFL business, and that business requires an acquisition of talent that performs well together at a high level (think SB) then the synergy between your GM, HC, and coaches MUST be on point. This speaks to the dysfunction here and elsewhere throughout the league.

When acquisition costs fail to meet return, then you've overpaid. Not knowing how the newly acquired talent properly fits into your program leads to such overpayment. Pryor is a very productive player, when he's in a system that uses him as the Browns did. Washington either didn't know or didn't care, that he was a poor fit, or, couldn't adjust Gruden's system to incorporated what he does best.

Here in D.C. there have been numerous misfits dating back to the "Hire a over priced free agent" days, through the 2012 draft, into today.

Last edited:

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that what I said? I said you make an offer and see if we are close to agreement. If you think Grant expected to see this kind of money back in December, then can I have some of what you are snorting?

What he said^^^^^^

Seriously though. I see Murphy signed with Buffalo for 21 mill, don't know the guarantees he got and BB signed for 24 mill/11 mill guaranteed.

The Skins couldn't find a way to make those numbers work for them? Those numbers don't seem outrageous or extreme.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What he said^^^^^^

Seriously though. I see Murphy signed with Buffalo for 21 mill, don't know the guarantees he got and BB signed for 24 mill/11 mill guaranteed.

The Skins couldn't find a way to make those numbers work for them? Those numbers don't seem outrageous or extreme.

they are not

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What he said^^^^^^

But we don’t need Trent Murphy. Somehow he would be behind Preston Smith who matched TM part time production from the previous season and Ryan Anderson who showed so much.

Then Breeland was made expendable by Fabian Moreau who showed nothing last season and Quinton Dunbar who signed a massive contract. Oops I forgot about Josh Holsey.