• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wouldn't Klay Thompson be a better fit for the Lakers than Paul George?

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was just an idea I wanted to throw out there.

First off, I want to say at this point that I believe there's a strong likelihood that George ends up with the Lakers in 2018. While the Carmelo trade helps their cause in a big way, there is still too many flaws on this OKC roster for George to overlook the idea of playing for his hometown team.

All that being said, Klay Thompson is set to be a free agent in 2019, assuming he doesn't agree to an extension before then. Let's say GS wins their 4th title of the decade in 2019 and is completely cap-strapped by then, might there be some motivation on Klay's part to play for his dad's old team and for a new challenge?

And if you're the Lakers, and assuming that KCP is the one-year rental he's said to be, isn't SG your biggest position of need? Wouldn't moving Ingram out of position to accommodate George possibly stunt his development?

Not sure how realistic this idea is, but it does make more sense for the Lakers as well as the league in general for parity purposes.

On a more serious note - With Westbrook and Melo on the same team, PC13 may never get to the free throw line ever again. He might just be content to stand around behind the three-point line and wait for wide-open jumpers.:nod:

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you said, Klay is a free agent in 2019. If for some reason the Lakers don't get what they want in 2018, it might be an option.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Klay Thompson wants to go to the Rockets or Spurs. That's what my inside connections are telling me.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Klay is probably a better fit. Not available until 2019 IF he even leaves the Warriors then. George can defend SGs, and offensively he can hit from the perimeter, so George is a fit as well.

SG and C are the biggest positions of need (Lopez isn't expected by most to stay either, unless he's willing to take a BIG pay cut).

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was just an idea I wanted to throw out there.

First off, I want to say at this point that I believe there's a strong likelihood that George ends up with the Lakers in 2018. While the Carmelo trade helps their cause in a big way, there is still too many flaws on this OKC roster for George to overlook the idea of playing for his hometown team.

All that being said, Klay Thompson is set to be a free agent in 2019, assuming he doesn't agree to an extension before then. Let's say GS wins their 4th title of the decade in 2019 and is completely cap-strapped by then, might there be some motivation on Klay's part to play for his dad's old team and for a new challenge?

And if you're the Lakers, and assuming that KCP is the one-year rental he's said to be, isn't SG your biggest position of need? Wouldn't moving Ingram out of position to accommodate George possibly stunt his development?

Not sure how realistic this idea is, but it does make more sense for the Lakers as well as the league in general for parity purposes.

On a more serious note - With Westbrook and Melo on the same team, PC13 may never get to the free throw line ever again. He might just be content to stand around behind the three-point line and wait for wide-open jumpers.:nod:

PG would be a better fit for the Lakers, because you need a foundational superstar to build around. Klay would be a great 2nd option on a great team, but he's tougher to build around as a centerpiece of a team.

If the Lakers has more pieces that were solid foundational blocks with superstar potential, I might say Klay. But Lonzo's game is looking more like a very good facilitator, but scoring will be hit or miss. Then you have a couple young guys who you don't really know what their ceiling is. PG makes the most sense as the 1st piece. If you're able to get Klay as a 2nd piece, that's where you go.

It's kind of like how you wouldn't really build a team around Draymond Green, but you would absolutely take him as a 2nd piece over most other superstars. I feel like Klay is in the same mold. I would rather build a team around Boogie than Draymond or Klay, but if I have a star already, I'd much rather have Draymond or Klay as my 2nd piece than Boogie. If that makes any sense.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like im the only one that sees Paul George as overrated

hell yes I think Klay is a better fit almost anywhere than George

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG would be a better fit for the Lakers, because you need a foundational superstar to build around. Klay would be a great 2nd option on a great team, but he's tougher to build around as a centerpiece of a team.

If the Lakers has more pieces that were solid foundational blocks with superstar potential, I might say Klay. But Lonzo's game is looking more like a very good facilitator, but scoring will be hit or miss. Then you have a couple young guys who you don't really know what their ceiling is. PG makes the most sense as the 1st piece. If you're able to get Klay as a 2nd piece, that's where you go.

It's kind of like how you wouldn't really build a team around Draymond Green, but you would absolutely take him as a 2nd piece over most other superstars. I feel like Klay is in the same mold. I would rather build a team around Boogie than Draymond or Klay, but if I have a star already, I'd much rather have Draymond or Klay as my 2nd piece than Boogie. If that makes any sense.

Wait until you see Ingram this year (speaking of foundational blocks).

I want no part of Boogie.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think George is a foundational piece either, but I agree he is a better one than Klay.

That said, if I am pairing one with Ball and LeBron, give me Klay 10 times out of 10. Not sure if that is realistc though. I can't see LeBron going to LA alone.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think George is a foundational piece either, but I agree he is a better one than Klay.

That said, if I am pairing one with Ball and LeBron, give me Klay 10 times out of 10. Not sure if that is realistc though. I can't see LeBron going to LA alone.
I haven't compared the numbers, but I think the #1 priority is to develop Lonzo Ball as the point guard, so then the SG might be an issue and given the choice, I like Paul George better. Just feels better.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't compared the numbers, but I think the #1 priority is to develop Lonzo Ball as the point guard, so then the SG might be an issue and given the choice, I like Paul George better. Just feels better.

He is a better all around but player.

But, Klay and Dray are the 2 best complimentary players in the entire league IMO. Their games are extremely easy to mesh with literally anybody.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO with the D league team the Bulls are putting together for this year, this means alot of cap room for next year.

Can the Bulls get 2? 3 superstars? Have to think Klay is one of those targets down the road.

I've got no idea what the Bulls are up to besides a whole lotta young ?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a better all around but player.

But, Klay and Dray are the 2 best complimentary players in the entire league IMO. Their games are extremely easy to mesh with literally anybody.
As long as the Warriors are in the top five teams in the NBA, I seriously doubt Klay is going to leave the Warriors. They have Curry and the others as a nice core for years to come. It's delusional to think Klay will leave that

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really much of a difference between the two. Klay is more efficient while George is a better playmaker.

Klay might be the best FA the Lakers can get if he does leave the Warriors.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO with the D league team the Bulls are putting together for this year, this means alot of cap room for next year.

Can the Bulls get 2? 3 superstars? Have to think Klay is one of those targets down the road.

I've got no idea what the Bulls are up to besides a whole lotta young ?

Giving Valentine more minutes should be a start lol.

It sucks Payne is hurt again because I think Dunn won't survive by Christmas.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving Valentine more minutes should be a start lol.

It sucks Payne is hurt again because I think Dunn won't survive by Christmas.

I'm not a superteam fan. But I'm hoping we get 2 youngsters that surprise the hell out of the league and we can get 1-2 max players that can help us compete down the road. I'd rather rebuild, then just grab 3 stooges and try to chase the Cavs -- even though I'd love to see them get beat.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but does Klay even want to go to the Lakers, we talk about PG going to the Lakers because he wants to play their.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think PG is a better fit, but Klay would make for a damn fine 2nd option if PG decides not to join the Lakers.

If PG does go to the Lakers, my bet is that he'd play the 2 spot, not Ingram.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but does Klay even want to go to the Lakers, we talk about PG going to the Lakers because he wants to play their.

Klay might want to go to the Lakers because that's where his dad played and where he grew up. He's a West Coast kid.

But it's way too early to speculate on PG let alone Klay. We got two whole years before Klay MAY leave GS. He may stay, but I doubt it, they won't want to spend what it takes to keep him. He will likely want to try something new and no one would blame him. But the league changes a lot in 2 years, maybe the Lakers will look good, maybe the Sixers, etc.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all the Klay is gone talk is premature. Everything that's ever been written or spoken about Klay says how low maintenance of a player he is. If the Warriors give him a strong deal, I think he highly considers staying even at a slight discount. I'm not talking about millions off, just maybe not a full max deal, as he did with his last deal.

LA is definitely a contender for him, but I think the options will come solely down to the Warriors and the Lakers. It'll just be a matter of preference for him. I think the money will be somewhat the same. His role with the Lakers will be larger, but his role with the Warriors will be more important.