• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you want him back?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I watched the RR interview and have seen things across twitter and the internet about RR coming back to WVU....So i throw it out to you guys, would you want RR to come back to WVU?

His offense still seems to produce only scoring less that 30 ppg 2 of the 5 seasons coached elsewhere...defensively he has no clue what to do he is annually ranked in the bottom half in the country, last year they were worse than we were.

Horrible record vs. ranked teams 4-16, I will have to double check but i do not think he has beaten any teams ranked in the top 15.

I will be honest with you i loved his offense at WVU, but I do not want him back. I think looking at his record shows he is not a very good coach when he was out of the BE playing with the Big boys and this would just be an attempt by us to reinvent a very successful time. I know he had issues with the admin, but the admin was trying to save WVU from RR's ego..IMO. If he would have left under different circumstances maybe....

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RR was great in his time at WVU. He was able to assemble the best offensive team all around than I can remember. I think it was even better than Geno and Company. IMO. Stew was lucky to inherit it as it was what brought him his early success. And RR's defense was far superior to anything we have had of late. Maybe Stew's D overall was a little better, a little more disciplined. But RR's D was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY better than the current defense or last years national joke of a defense. Whatever Stew put together came apart quickly under the current leadership.

But to your point - his D at Michigan was the reason he was run out of town. Michigan fans can take a struggling offense, but the D better be stellar. And his current tream doesnt' rise to the top either. As for a return to WVU - I think RR's main problem is that 1/2 of the fan base would never support him and he would hurt the team rather than help. His time is past.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you could have Rich back...too much damage.....

My perception of Rich, he is a great football coach, but the company he keeps around him to take care of his business affairs are less than honorable people...

It's funny what a few years do and where the landscapeof the program is...I recall donors pulling money out their pockets to keep Rich around trying to scrape together $2million per year...now the pogram can afford any coach in the country at any price...amazing..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again... I don't think it is fair to compare any coach's defense from the past to the current situation.

Rich and Billy played in the BE. It was not uptempo football... with the exception of Cincy.

The Big 12 is a different beast.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Rich coming back, I am not as opposed to it as I was 5 years ago.

There is a significant part of our fanbase who wants him back. I am not convinced of how great a football coach he is. He failed miserably at UofM. He would bring an attitude... there was certainly a little moxie among the boys when he was coaching.

Although, I recall a few games when the on-the-field announcer would talk about the quietness of the team. Lack of enthusiasm or concern when trailing.

Sounds familiar to recent comments from Dana. Kids are tight... not having fun...

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another great one from Mickey.....I hate people who go negative all the time....I noticed last year he wrote about the 13 mil in the red, but this year he mentions nothing about the 4 mil in the black...those JR payments must be coming in handy this year.

http://www.register-herald.com/collegesports/x252028815/WVU-taking-longest-ever-to-settle-on-QB-lineup

"True, Holgorsen has had outstanding success as an offensive coordinator at Texas Tech, Houston and Oklahoma State. But it has been struggling — for the most part — since he assumed the reins at WVU in 2011."

No it has been struggling for about 6 games you old hack of a reporter.

I must say i also love the cut and paste from his earlier article about the doors being locked....lol

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is a significant part of our fanbase who wants him back. I am not convinced of how great a football coach he is. He failed miserably at UofM. He would bring an attitude... there was certainly a little moxie among the boys when he was coaching.

Although, I recall a few games when the on-the-field announcer would talk about the quietness of the team. Lack of enthusiasm or concern when trailing.

Sounds familiar to recent comments from Dana. Kids are tight... not having fun...
:omg::omg:........Whoa!!...being a year older my eyes must be going on me!!...LOL!!!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another great one from Mickey.....I hate people who go negative all the time....I noticed last year he wrote about the 13 mil in the red, but this year he mentions nothing about the 4 mil in the black...those JR payments must be coming in handy this year.

http://www.register-herald.com/collegesports/x252028815/WVU-taking-longest-ever-to-settle-on-QB-lineup

"True, Holgorsen has had outstanding success as an offensive coordinator at Texas Tech, Houston and Oklahoma State. But it has been struggling — for the most part — since he assumed the reins at WVU in 2011."

No it has been struggling for about 6 games you old hack of a reporter.

I must say i also love the cut and paste from his earlier article about the doors being locked....lol

Man I hope that guy doesn't get pai to write that drivel....it's funny how he says that Dana got by on his first 10 win season with Stewarts kids...but says nothing by about the fact that Stewart got his HC gig by riding Rich's kids to a Fiesta Bowl win .....and Rich's Asst Coaches!!!:lame:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know BBW...as I get older I find myself agreeing with you more and more...that scares me!!:laugh3:

You said asked the question way back when would Rich be as successful in a better conference.I said theBCS Bowl games opined the answer..so far in both the Big10 and Pac12 the answer has been no....I guess you were right...boy did that taste bad coming out of my mouth!!:suds:

But I would disagree with you to some degree that he failed miserably at Michigan...Brady Hoke took his kids to the Sugar Bowl the very first year and has been average since...kinda sounds familiar??:scratch:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I watched the RR interview and have seen things across twitter and the internet about RR coming back to WVU....So i throw it out to you guys, would you want RR to come back to WVU?

His offense still seems to produce only scoring less that 30 ppg 2 of the 5 seasons coached elsewhere...defensively he has no clue what to do he is annually ranked in the bottom half in the country, last year they were worse than we were.

Horrible record vs. ranked teams 4-16, I will have to double check but i do not think he has beaten any teams ranked in the top 15.

I will be honest with you i loved his offense at WVU, but I do not want him back. I think looking at his record shows he is not a very good coach when he was out of the BE playing with the Big boys and this would just be an attempt by us to reinvent a very successful time. I know he had issues with the admin, but the admin was trying to save WVU from RR's ego..IMO. If he would have left under different circumstances maybe....

I think he has probably been humbled by his experience at UM, and is still struggling to recover from the burst ego. WVU beat VPI who was ranked #3 in 2003, if you are counting his time here at all. I cant see being in favor of hiring him back, Had he stayed I would be firmly in his corner, but his willingness to play fast and loose with the rules, and trying to force Pastilong to sign on to things that directly broke NCAA rules as a condition of staying. I think he is a better coach than Holgorsen, gets more out of lesser players, and presents a better image, BUT, he bailed on us!!!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but his willingness to play fast and loose with the rules, and trying to force Pastilong to sign on to things that directly broke NCAA rules as a condition of staying.
:agree:
He would have had us on probation by now....the book thing i never did understand how anyone anywhere woud think that was legal.

I think he is a better coach than Holgorsen, gets more out of lesser players, and presents a better image, BUT, he bailed on us!!!

Not sure what you mean about image...he screamed his face off and was in our players faces just as much as DH is now....:scratch:

Only arguement and only time will tell against the getting more out of less...maybe this is true here even though first two years of DH our offense produced as much as it did under RR, but when he had the cream of the crop at Michigan he did not do anything...that should tell us all a little bit about him as a coach as well.

Still RR has DH with some years in exp. only time will tell...I think if the BE were still around we would not even be having this convo.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:
He would have had us on probation by now....the book thing i never did understand how anyone anywhere woud think that was legal.

Not sure what you mean about image...he screamed his face off and was in our players faces just as much as DH is now....:scratch:

Only arguement and only time will tell against the getting more out of less...maybe this is true here even though first two years of DH our offense produced as much as it did under RR, but when he had the cream of the crop at Michigan he did not do anything...that should tell us all a little bit about him as a coach as well.

Still RR has DH with some years in exp. only time will tell...I think if the BE were still around we would not even be having this convo.

Maybe it is because I am getting old, DC, but Fraud LOOKS like a football coach, talks like one. He instilled confidence even cockiness at times into the team. When I watch their pressers, I get what Fraud is saying, he talks more to the point without all the hums, you knows, and head scratching that Holgorsen does, Fraud is a MUCH better speaker. I think some coaches can not deal with the prima donas that the five star kids are, and can not get them to play hard. From what I see with him, he can coach a two star kid up to play at a five star level, but can only get three star play out of the five star kid. I have wondered where our program would be had he stayed and kept his staff intact (they seem to really like working for him). I think that if Casteel had gone with him, he would still be wearing UM colors.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it is because I am getting old, DC, but Fraud LOOKS like a football coach, talks like one. He instilled confidence even cockiness at times into the team. When I watch their pressers, I get what Fraud is saying, he talks more to the point without all the hums, you knows, and head scratching that Holgorsen does, Fraud is a MUCH better speaker. I think some coaches can not deal with the prima donas that the five star kids are, and can not get them to play hard. From what I see with him, he can coach a two star kid up to play at a five star level, but can only get three star play out of the five star kid. I have wondered where our program would be had he stayed and kept his staff intact (they seem to really like working for him). I think that if Casteel had gone with him, he would still be wearing UM colors.

He still hs years on DH doing the head coach stuff....remember only year 2 1/2...a lot of guys when they started are the same in front of the camera...and now that pressure is even more with the broadcast going out on so many different fronts....when i moved out of WV i could not even see those pressers with Rod.

I do not know about the Casteel thing....not because of the defense but because of the same reason you mention about Rod...I do not know he can take guys that are 5 star and coach them. Even in year two that Zona defense is not very good, have lost to their only two real opponents giving up 30 in both games. That USC game they were giving up yards rushing and passing.

I wanted the 3-3-5 to stay.

In other news commit Lamar Parker will be on town this weekend...he has played on ESPN 3 times that i have watched...looked pretty good, I think his last game caught two TD's in a win over a nationally ranked team out west. He is from Booker T in Florida, one of the top High Schools in the state currently number 1.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather get a coach from the MAC. RRs success came from one play, the read option, which he discovered by mistake. Now most every team in the country knows how to run and defend that play. RRs answer to that Bubble Screens.

I also think that RR had to get lucky to be successful. Pat White was given a chance to play QB here or he would have gone to LSU as a CB (would have been a great career move for him). Steve Slaton had his scholly taken away from Maryland so he went to WVU. Without those guys, RR would still be here posting 7-8 win seasons every year and no BCS bowls.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know BBW...as I get older I find myself agreeing with you more and more...that scares me!!:laugh3:

It's the meds...

... keep taking them!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think that RR had to get lucky to be successful. Pat White was given a chance to play QB here or he would have gone to LSU as a CB (would have been a great career move for him). Steve Slaton had his scholly taken away from Maryland so he went to WVU. Without those guys, RR would still be here posting 7-8 win seasons every year and no BCS bowls.

Good points, but can't knock a guy for luck....not to get to deep but we are all on some sort of path and theirs came together while he was coach so he reaps the successes.

Plus his offense is still producing.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still hs years on DH doing the head coach stuff....remember only year 2 1/2...a lot of guys when they started are the same in front of the camera...and now that pressure is even more with the broadcast going out on so many different fronts....when i moved out of WV i could not even see those pressers with Rod.

I do not know about the Casteel thing....not because of the defense but because of the same reason you mention about Rod...I do not know he can take guys that are 5 star and coach them. Even in year two that Zona defense is not very good, have lost to their only two real opponents giving up 30 in both games. That USC game they were giving up yards rushing and passing.

I wanted the 3-3-5 to stay.

In other news commit Lamar Parker will be on town this weekend...he has played on ESPN 3 times that i have watched...looked pretty good, I think his last game caught two TD's in a win over a nationally ranked team out west. He is from Booker T in Florida, one of the top High Schools in the state currently number 1.

There is a channel we get here on our cable called sports time ohio, that has coaches shows from WVU, as well as a whole host of other schools, they show post game press, mid week press, it is nice to watch them on TV, rather than the computer screen. It is up in the air now whether they will continue, due to IMG taking over.........

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get most of my coverage from the "net" or i would never see WVU but on game day, when i lived in Florida the high school reporting was amazing, college was all SEC with a little ACC, and pro sucked since I lived right outside of Jacksonville.

Maryland is about 35 mins from my house and they have had two football games on this season in my area...not sure why it is that way.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is why I would be in favor of bringing in Calvin Magee as OC. Magee opened a passing game during the Fiesta Bowl and we even found out that we had a TE in that game. On RR, no. He may have built a hell of a program here if he would have stayed, but we will never know. He already jumped once...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I would be in favor of bringing in Calvin Magee as OC. Magee opened a passing game during the Fiesta Bowl and we even found out that we had a TE in that game. On RR, no. He may have built a hell of a program here if he would have stayed, but we will never know. He already jumped once...

YET you slammed me for saying Holgorsen should get a better OC in another thread. I hear about the QBs we have now not putting in the time, we know that Fraud and his staff burned the midnight oil, how much time are our coaches putting in??