• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you be happier?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8/30 Delaware
9/5 (Fri) at Boston College
9/13 at Florida International
9/20 Iowa
9/27 Akron
10/4 at Virginia
10/16 (Thurs) Virginia Tech
10/25 Georgia Tech
11/1 Duke
11/15 at North Carolina
11/22 Syracuse
11/29 at Miami

This is Pitts schedule next year, replace WVU with Pitt.....would you really be happier with this schedule because these teams are closer? We still would not have pitt on schedule.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For everyone pining away on traditional rivals, I could see why they'd prefer that schedule. BC, VT, SU and Miami are familiar opponents from both the old eastern independent and BE days.

While I understand tradition, I love being a part of the Big 12. I have stated many times, playing teams the quality of those from the Big 12 makes me excited.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly the only game on there that I would be excited for is Va Tech...Miami has some value as well, overall this schedule sucks. ACC has us in numbers, but attractive games not so much. IMO

I like the Big 12, what it lacks in rivalries it makes up for in top 25 matchups.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade the OU and Texas games for ANY of those but as far as regional lure I would like the UVA,VT,and UNC games and I think most of our fanbase would as well. The Miami game for recruiting south FL would Prob help some too.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer the B1G schedule of opponents over the ACC too. A natural fit with the East division of the B1G.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a great schedule for Pitt, but given the choice I would take the ACC. We can travel to games. VT and Pitt even Cuse and Miami are established rivalries. I could drive to an away game.

I'd have taken the SEC over all of them.

My rankings for most desirable conferences for WVU

1. SEC prestige, recruiting, driveable to many games
2. ACC former rivals, easiest path the the NC game, less travel
3. B10 some close opponents, good conference
4. B12 Strong conference, difficult to win, travel a nightmare
5. PAC 12 " " I'd just as soon travel to LA as to Norman.
6. AAC

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC schedule is an easier run that is for certain...Wv could do what VT did for years and just own the conference........

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting to get different generations views on rivalries...IMO Va Tech and Cuse were our rivals....never considered Miami a rival since it seemed every big game we had with them we lost, or so it seemed. Plus what is a rivalry if the game really does not mean anything? Meaning how many times have we met those teams where anything nationally was on the line? (different generations will have different answers) I can only think of one game in my life that was a rivalry game that people outside of WV and Pitt actually cared about.

I have heard some say we should have stayed in the AAC because of travel in the big 12....looking at the AAC teams now and the teams coming into the AAC I think our travel would have been about the same and in some cases futhur once the add SD ST and one of the other western teams.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Big XII. While the physical distance is great, we are a perfect social and ideological fit. I know a lot of you disagree, but many of the "WVU has bad fans" stories were a product of playing the snobbish assholes on the East coast. They come in here, act like the assholes they are and get treated as such. The fans of our new conference mates are much more like us. It's a lot easier to get along with people when you think alike and have things in common.

The ACC had a good year, but they are still the worst "power" conference. By far.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Big XII. While the physical distance is great, we are a perfect social and ideological fit. I know a lot of you disagree, but many of the "WVU has bad fans" stories were a product of playing the snobbish assholes on the East coast. They come in here, act like the assholes they are and get treated as such. The fans of our new conference mates are much more like us. It's a lot easier to get along with people when you think alike and have things in common.

The ACC had a good year, but they are still the worst "power" conference. By far.

Absolutely agree!

The ACC is the weakest… that is why Jimbo Fisher would be nuts to leave FSU. Now that he has that machine oiled again, he is in prime shape to keep his team in the NC hunt.

The easiest path to NC glory… just switched from the BE to the ACC.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree MAC, I like the fans and the programs in the B-12, don't like the distance but the conference as a whole is a MUCH better fit, well said.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8/30 Delaware
9/5 (Fri) at Boston College
9/13 at Florida International
9/20 Iowa
9/27 Akron
10/4 at Virginia
10/16 (Thurs) Virginia Tech
10/25 Georgia Tech
11/1 Duke
11/15 at North Carolina
11/22 Syracuse
11/29 at Miami

This is Pitts schedule next year, replace WVU with Pitt.....would you really be happier with this schedule because these teams are closer? We still would not have pitt on schedule.

If you would want to see more of what WVU would be playing, look at UL's schedule, as THAT is the spot WVU would be in. PLUS, if we ere in the ACC, the brawl would most likely come back. I would LOVE to have VPI, 'Cuse, sPitt, Miami, BC back on the schedule, PLUS Clemson, GT, ND, FSU, AND many of the games would be close enough to go to.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you would want to see more of what WVU would be playing, look at UL's schedule, as THAT is the spot WVU would be in. PLUS, if we ere in the ACC, the brawl would most likely come back. I would LOVE to have VPI, 'Cuse, sPitt, Miami, BC back on the schedule, PLUS Clemson, GT, ND, FSU, AND many of the games would be close enough to go to.

With the exception we would be in the AAC instead of the ACC if we didn't join the Big12. No way would we have ever got the invite to the ACC. They passed on us time and time again clear back to the old Southern Conference days. Nothing was going to change the fact Tobacco Road would never allow us getting an invite EVER!

Look at the bright side, if we had stayed in the AAC we could be getting 3 million a year for all rights, and traveling to 2 Florida schools and to Texas for 2 Schools. Man that would have been a hell of a deal.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not trying to troll but how can you guys defend the b12? The added competition & distance obviously had an impact as both basketball & football took a nosedive since joining the b12. If given the option i am willing to be the university would chose the acc (in louisville's spot) over the b12 ever day of the weak. You have easier competition where wvu can play a more competitive role, traditional rivalries, and where the majority of your fanbase is located plus recruiting grounds that wvu has traditionally recruited. Not trying to be mean but I am just gonna point out some quick stats.

registered wvu alumni
texas 2757
oklahoma 260
kansas 246
iowa 226

pennsylvania 18,278
virginia 13,508
Florida 5,514
north carolina 5,214
New York 3,255
south carolina 2,719
georgia 2,310
mass 931

ACC border states
maryland 7,869
ohio 6,418

d1 signees by state
texas 346
oklahoma 35
kansas 9
iowa 8

florida 332
georgia 184
Virginia 79
North Carolina 73
Pennsylvania 63
New York 27
south carolina 24
mass. 10

population:
texas 26.4 mill
oklahoma 3.8 mill
kansas 2.8 mill
iowa 3 mill

New York 19.6 mill
Florida 19.5 mill
Pennsylvania 12.7 mill
Georgia 10 mill
N. Carolina 9.8 mill
virginia 8.2 mill
Mass 6.6 mill
s carolina 4.2 mill

rivalries
pitt 104
cuse 60
vtech 51
bc 33
uva 21

(pre b12 era)
OU 4
osu 3
KSU 2
KU 1
texas 1
TCU 1
texas tech 1
baylor 0
ISU 0

2013 recruiting class
15 players from acc states (2 more from maryland, 3 more from ohio)
3players from b12 states

travel
lubbock 1465 miles
austin 1400 miles
Baylor 1300 miles
TCU 1250 miles
OSU 1100
OU 1100
KSU 1000 miles
ISU 900 miles
KU 900 miles

miami 1100
fsu 900 miles
boston 600 miles
clemson 500

I think if given the option, factoring all that, plus what makes the school more competitive more of a cultural fit WVU would be crazy to ever choose the b12 over the acc even if the b12 was making 5 mill more per school than the acc. the intangible costs such as alumni donations, lower travel costs, and added revenue from fielding more competitive teams guarantees that WVU will make that $5 mill back easily and then some.

I am not trying to troll you guys but that is just my take on it

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can we defend the Big 12?

It is quite easy. It is one of the top conferences in the country in football, basketball and baseball. It has one of the best TV contracts among the power5 conferences. It has some great academic institutions which share resources, and it has a fanbase among its members which mirrors WVU.

WVU is a better cultural fit with these schools than its former conference the BE, and much better than the ACC.

The ACC was never going to accept WVU. UofL wanted WVU's spot in the Big 12, and it took the action of WV's elected senators to intervene to ensure WV received the Big 12 invite. Had UofL successfully pushed their way into the Big 12 instead of WVU, WVU would be left in the AAC... not the ACC. UConn would have been invited to the ACC instead of WVU.

Duke and UNC will never allow WVU into the ACC. It has nothing to do with the school. It has everything to do with West Virginians and our hillbilly stereotype. We do not fit the mold of the yuppie crowd of the Tarheel and Duke crowd.

It is what it is....

I love the Big 12, and I am happy to have landed there.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can we defend the Big 12?

It is quite easy. It is one of the top conferences in the country in football, basketball and baseball. It has one of the best TV contracts among the power5 conferences. It has some great academic institutions which share resources, and it has a fanbase among its members which mirrors WVU.

WVU is a better cultural fit with these schools than its former conference the BE, and much better than the ACC.

The ACC was never going to accept WVU. UofL wanted WVU's spot in the Big 12, and it took the action of WV's elected senators to intervene to ensure WV received the Big 12 invite. Had UofL successfully pushed their way into the Big 12 instead of WVU, WVU would be left in the AAC... not the ACC. UConn would have been invited to the ACC instead of WVU.

Duke and UNC will never allow WVU into the ACC. It has nothing to do with the school. It has everything to do with West Virginians and our hillbilly stereotype. We do not fit the mold of the yuppie crowd of the Tarheel and Duke crowd.

It is what it is....

I love the Big 12, and I am happy to have landed there.

I get where you are coming from, considering the alternatives you guys did end up in the best possible place. as for the louisville argument who knows. Yes wvu & uconn are the two schools that are 1A & 1B on the ACCs shitlist. but if they had to chose between wvu & uconn I say they chose wvu.

One thing you have to consider now is that syracuse is now in the ACC and they are actually one of the biggest opponents to uconn's ACC membership. They don't want another school infringing on their stranglehold of the northeast. if i had to conduct a wishlist for the acc i would put it as follows
1. maryland
2. wvu
3. louisville
4. uconn

and heres my reasoning for it. louisville is a top 10 BB program however if conference realignment has taught us anything it is that BB matters very little. kansas was one of only 4 b12 schools (the other 3 being isu, ksu, & baylor) that has not been documented to have received and invite from another conference. uconn did not get an invite. and louisville needed to be saved by maryland before they go their invite. and even then they got in more because they had a very solid FB program at the time.

So to judge this move you really have to rely on football & markets.

pros:
Kentucky really has more population
better recruiting grounds
a rivalry with an SEC school

cons:
they are not a landgrant
they are the little brother school
share their state with an sec school
Geography

wvu
pros:
strong historical program (top 15 all time wins)
brings rivalries/historical connection with SU, vtech, pitt, BC, miami
landgrant
only power school in their state
geography

cons:
weaker market
no in state recruiting grounds
certain ACC schools hate them

truth is, it is close. However the b12 thought that wvu> louisville and if the b12 thought that then the ACC most likely will to because even though conferences have different tendencies their tendencies are similar enough in this case where they would both come to they same conclusion that wvu is the 5 star recruit and louisville is a 4 star recruit. I firmly believe that if wvu was available back then, they would of taken wvu with syracuse, FSU, clemson, BC, pitt, vtech as its biggest proponents and duke, uva, unc, wake, nc state as its biggest opponents. But at the end of the day.....
1. the football schools hold most of the power
2. the new schools hold a lot of power as well (contrary to popular belief)

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John, not calling names, but you really have no clue. The ACC is driven by the basketball schools. The ACC will not and never will accept WVU. They have had a dozen chances and never would.

If the ACC was going to add us they sure as hell would have taken us over sPITT to begin with. What does sPITT have to offer? We share the same TV market, sPITT is little more then a Glorified Community College. They have like 3 fans show up for their home games. You could buy tickets to their game vs UCONN a few years ago for $1. There was like 5,000 WVU fans there that night that were rooting for UCONN. UCONN had more WVU fans there then sPITT had.

UCONN will never get an invite either, they sunk their ship with the lawsuit after first raid.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John, not calling names, but you really have no clue. The ACC is driven by the basketball schools. The ACC will not and never will accept WVU. They have had a dozen chances and never would.

If the ACC was going to add us they sure as hell would have taken us over sPITT to begin with. What does sPITT have to offer? We share the same TV market, sPITT is little more then a Glorified Community College. They have like 3 fans show up for their home games. You could buy tickets to their game vs UCONN a few years ago for $1. There was like 5,000 WVU fans there that night that were rooting for UCONN. UCONN had more WVU fans there then sPITT had.

UCONN will never get an invite either, they sunk their ship with the lawsuit after first raid.

Pitt a glorified community college??????? and you have the balls to call me clueless??????