• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would we have drafted Jabrill Peppers if he was there?

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously he was drafted one pick ahead of us. I was at the team draft party in Seattle and the crowd was audibly upset (me included) when Jabrill went off the board.

On top of that, when it was our pick I think we were the first team that got under 1 minute on the draft clock before the trade came in. Do you think we were banking on Jabrill being there for our pick? He would have been such an amazing piece to our D.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'll never know unless the FO tells us that was their plan, which teams seldom ever off that sort of transparency with the draft. But if there's someone who may do it, I guess Schneider is a good candidate.

I don't put much stock in that on-screen timer. I think one time last night the team on the clock as well as the team behind them both had their picks in, and it was still ticking down on the first team. I think the folks running the draft (and coverage) were just trying to figure out what the trade details were and just let the clock keep rolling on the Hawks.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The on screen timer is irrelevant. Each team gets 10 minutes. The TV presentation can be misleading because they delay the pick announcements to maximize advertising time. The teams are told the pick once it is submitted to the league.

I would have liked to have nabbed Peppers but I doubt they were going to grab him.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Peppers personally. He really doesn't have a position and while Seattle may want that hybrid 'do it all defender' it seldomly works out. He's an athlete which is great... but IMO doesn't have a ton of the mechanical skills to be an immediate impact safety/corner/linebacker/O-Lineman/Runningback (WTF does he play again? :D). I'd have been pissed if they took Peppers over Obi.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Peppers was on their board but you never know.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a huge fan of Jabrill Peppers, and I don't think he was a great fit either. Sure, he has the athleticism and versatility that the Seahawks like from their players, but he doesn't exactly fit the personnel the Seahawks have right now. Yes, we need a new outside linebacker, but if I'm correct the Hawks ran their nickel package more frequently than they did a traditional base 4-3.

Signing Bradley McDougald indicates to me that they want him to take the role that Jeremy Lane had at nickel, while Lane will take over outside for Shead while he recovers from his injury. Had the Seahawks not signed McDougald, I think Peppers would've been more likely.

Also there are concerns with Peppers that he doesn't have a natural position. In the Hawks scheme he could fit in well at SS, but that would mean we would eventually move on from Chancellor. I believe the Seahawks have a guy in mind that they believe they will be able to grab at the beginning of the second round, hence why they kept moving down.

The Hawks have at times made surprising picks, but I'd say the guys to look at are Forrest Lamp G/T (likely will slide inside after playing LT in college, doesn't have the size or arm length you want from a tackle), or Cam Robinson LT. I could see the Hawks being very interested in Robinson. He has been inconsistent, and arguably is somewhat raw, but has the athletic ability and power of a top 10 pick but mental lapses and inconsistent play have taken a toll on his draft value. Robinson's overall talent has not matched up with his performance on the field. He seems like a guy the Hawks might believe they can develop in the NFL.

Kevin King is another guy I imagine the Hawks would like a lot. He has everything they love at CB. His tape IMO isn't as good as some of the other corners on the board, i.e. Sidney Jones, but if Pete Carroll could create a CB in a lab, it would look a lot like Kevin King.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a huge fan of Jabrill Peppers, and I don't think he was a great fit either. Sure, he has the athleticism and versatility that the Seahawks like from their players, but he doesn't exactly fit the personnel the Seahawks have right now. Yes, we need a new outside linebacker, but if I'm correct the Hawks ran their nickel package more frequently than they did a traditional base 4-3.

You are. I believe I read somewhere (can't find the article now, think it was on PFF or a draft site) Seattle only had 3 linebackers on the field for about 15% of the snaps... and given we just drafted Hill (meh, not crazy about the pick) that if anything is our 3rd hybrid linebacker/safety. Terrible in coverage, but he's a great SS in terms of the run.

Here's a good write-up on the topic:
SAM 'n' ladder

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are. I believe I read somewhere (can't find the article now, think it was on PFF or a draft site) Seattle only had 3 linebackers on the field for about 15% of the snaps... and given we just drafted Hill (meh, not crazy about the pick) that if anything is our 3rd hybrid linebacker/safety. Terrible in coverage, but he's a great SS in terms of the run.

Here's a good write-up on the topic:
SAM 'n' ladder

Yeah that's around what I figured. That's why I'm not all that surprised that the Hawks haven't gone after a linebacker yet. The run on safeties by the Hawks I think is an indication they're looking to the future and looking for insurance if Kam or Earl get hurt again. In addition, I believe they're likely going to use those safeties more than they will a third linebacker.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's around what I figured. That's why I'm not all that surprised that the Hawks haven't gone after a linebacker yet. The run on safeties by the Hawks I think is an indication they're looking to the future and looking for insurance if Kam or Earl get hurt again. In addition, I believe they're likely going to use those safeties more than they will a third linebacker.

signs-point-to-yes.jpg

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was also a bit surprised there were no LBs picked. We were fortunate last season with Wagner & KJ staying healthy for the whole season, but banking on that carries some risk. I haven't looked at our UDFA signings yet, but I'm guessing there will be something there at LB. I know one of the safeties (Tyson) picked is going to get a look at CB, so maybe there's a notion that the Hill guy can play LB?

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as an outsider, I was totally surprised the Hawks didn't draft more O-line

wasn't that their biggest weakness last year?

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they added some by FA and one by draft. But ya that's our #1 weakness and its looking like they are banking on the young guys improving otherwise we might be needing to get the stretcher ready for Wilson.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Between the draft picks and undrafted free agents, the Hawks picked up four offensive linemen. I know some people would have preferred that we come out of draft weekend with something like 7 or 8 linemen, but the free agent signings probably made the need to draft offensive linemen in bunches less urgent for the front office.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course the line has been the weakness on this team for several years, but sometimes there is a flash to bang time between investment and yield. Last season 4 of the 5 OL positions were either first year starters in the NFL, rookies, first year starters at that position, or all 3. This team has more draft capital invested in the line than the one NE had on the field in the SB. We seem to be building a new line every season, and there could be as many as 4 positions with new starters again this year. This is not a recipe for success for that unit.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow i am Jealous, must be nice to share your opinions and not be bashed for them hahaha

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<hug>

feel better?