• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst season in Arizona sports history?

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the worst sports season I have witnessed in Arizona ever. When you factor in how many all-stars the Diamondbacks had combined with expectations and fan interest, it has got to be the worst. Does anyone remember a team in Arizona with this much excitement heading into a season falling flat on its face like this? People were talking about the Diamondbacks winning the West this year. They are arguably the worst team in baseball. The year the organization lost 100 games, they were not supposed to be good and everyone knew it. I have never seen a more pathetic year from any of the major sports teams in Arizona. The entire Diamondbacks organization should be ashamed of itself.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree. I can't think of a year the expectations were higher and the performance fell so under the bar. I expected them to be relevant (in the playoff hunt at least until the end of the season, even if not making it). They've been the opposite.

Who's to blame? Clearly Hale...who is inexplicably still employed.

Goldy's stats look decent now, but let's not forget he was terrible (by Goldy standards) for many weeks and in the biggest funk of his career to kick of the season.

Peralta has not contributed (albeit partly due to injuries)

Ahmed is garbage. I didn't expect much, but a modest improvement would have been nice.

Tomas was generally useless until it didn't matter anymore. He's been incredible now that they are out of contention.

Shelby Miller is the worst pitcher in baseball. Corbin and Ray have been garbage. Bradley has sucked for the most part. Zack Greinke is the only one that has made a positive contribution in the rotation, but even he has had an off year by his standards.

And then the D-Backs asked us for $65 million dollars. LMAO

Suns7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swanson just got his first major league base hit.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona Diamondbacks ponder replacing La Russa, Stewart after just 2 years

So Ken Kendrick nixes the Hale firing and a trade of Miller to the Marlins that would have brought back three pitching prospects. He is the worst owner in Arizona. Since he ousted Colangelo this organization has been a laughing stock. They have had two good years that were complete flukes. Now he possibly wants to fire the entire front office staff.

Put this into perspective how good of a job on paper La Russa, Stewart, and the rest of the staff did. They signed Greinke. Best free agent acquisition since Randy Johnson. They dumped many garbage players and undid so many awful moves by Kevin Towers. Their rotation was to consist of Greinke, Miller, Corbin, De La Rosa, and Ray. ESPN ranked it the 7th best rotation in baseball prior to the season IIRC. Who would have imagined all four pitchers would have the arguably the worst years of their careers. That is insane.

They signed Clippard who was an excellent relief pitcher and started off the season great. He got overused and went downhill. Hudson was phenomenal early and tanked in the middle of the season. Ziegler was great and they traded him. The rest of bullpen imploded and pitched worse than anyone could have foreseen.

Without La Russa and Stewart, the team does not get Greinke. They do not get any top free agents. Nobody cares about signing with the team when you got guys like Josh Byrnes or Kevin Towers in charge. Players want to play for La Russa. He is a legend. They respect him.

Sorry but the failure of this season is not on the front office staff. It is on the players and manager exclusively. They are the ones to blame, not the front office.