• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst OU QB in the Bob Stoops era

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So? They were plenty fired up when knight threw for three touchdowns and ran for over 100 yards too.

So the guy paid his dues and waited his turn and was passed over. Football teams are funny about stuff like that. They respect the position but being a leader on a team takes time and paying your dues. Knight may get that respect with his play but I don't think Millard or any of the seniors respect him the way they do Bell. He has been to battle with them.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the guy paid his dues and waited his turn and was passed over. Football teams are funny about stuff like that. They respect the position but being a leader on a team takes time and paying your dues. Knight may get that respect with his play but I don't think Millard or any of the seniors respect him the way they do Bell. He has been to battle with them.

Yeah, the last time an upperclassman got passed over for a freshman we got Sam Bradford. Ill trust the coaching staff. All the interviews with players I've seen sure sound like they support him.

You sure what you're seeing isn't jayded by your bias?

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. It just funny when you gotta refer back to 2006 to try and get over on us...well, it's just pretty weak.

Florida is the gold standard in clean programs? I did not know that.

that's exactly what i was saying... :thumb:

actual only came into the thread based on the title thinking it was a break down of ou qb history not someones angry post game musings. once again carry on.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Td2, you know I have tons of respect for your opinion and I know we have had this discussion on the other board. You said Bell was a proven commodity. I disagree. Other than the TREMENDOUSLY over-used Belldozer, he never really had any significant time nor did he actually do anything with the time he did get.

The minute the rumors started about Knight being the guy, my first thought was " We'll, this is gonna piss Td2 right the heck off!"

Give the kid a chance. If he doesn't get better there will be plenty of people getting in line behind Bell. But until then...let the boy play!:suds:

Alum,

Once again you are correct sir. I haven't given Knight a fair shake because I really think the coaches are making a mistake by starting him so early. When I say Bell is a proven commodity I mean that 85k screaming fans aren't going to effect his performance. He has proven in other games the past two seasons to be able to handle that (although in limited package as you mentioned). It is still proof he can operate under pressure. I see what the coaches and everyone else is excited about with Knight. He has the potential to be one of the best in college football today. But until he brings his practice game to Saturday night he is going to be hearing Bell's footsteps. You know I don't mind eating crow when I'm wrong and I really hope I am but wasting a season getting this kid experience and settled is not my idea of fun.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broke down by quarter

2-8 10 yards

3-10 24 yards 1 TD

4-6 43 yards 2 TD

0-1 1 INT

I'll put it this way. Long as he can make plays with his legs (ran for 6 first downs) and score points (3 TD passes) I'll take it. We have been riding the 300 yard passer for the last 10 years and its got us 0 national titles while in that time we've watched Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton all make plays with their legs and lead their teams to titles. Newton did it in his first year but the other guys had a year under center to get better. I'm excited to see the Sooners go with an offense that relies on a mobile QB to make plays. Should be a fun year to watch this team develop.

Last edited by a moderator:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bob's coaches are what make the great QB's, not Bob.
Bob didn't even want to give Bradford a scholarship. Chuck Long had to demand it.
Bob could have started Sam at QB, but started Paul Thompson instead.
Sam as a Freshman was better than Thompson on his best day.
Does nobody remember Paul Thompson??? Just wasn't that great.
Does nobody remember Rhett Bomar in his first game???

I'll wait until after game 2 to make a judgement on Knight. I'll bet we see a big improvement in him and the offense from game 1 to game 2.

I remember plenty of Switzer Offenses in their first games that looked like the 3 stooges, but ended up pretty damn good.

It's a wait and see thing for me.
But not that impressed with the 1st game, but that's what 1st games are for.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU vs ULM replay on Fox Sports SW right now

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this part.....

BIG DIFFERENCE IN SPECIAL TEAMS

A year ago in an opening win over UTEP, Oklahoma struggled in special teams in a lackluster 24-7 win.

The Sooners had a punt and a field-goal attempt blocked, and the Miners were able to return four of five kickoff tries.

In their first game under new special teams coach Jay Boulware, though, the Sooners were exceptional Saturday.

Junior kicker Nick Hodgson booted all seven of his kickoffs well into the end zone for touchbacks, Michael Hunnicutt made both of his field-goal tries, Jalen Saunders delivered a 45-yard punt return that set up a quick touchdown, and Brennan Clay wrapped up ULM punter Justin Manton short of the first down on a fake punt try late in the third quarter.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that first half was an anomaly, I didn't get to see but the last 5 minutes of the second half. Hopefully it was first game jitters and not a case of being able to perform well in practice but not be able to take it to the game level. It happens, we'll see this weekend I guess.

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree with the too early assessment. Knight was good enough, in the coaches opinion, to get the nod. he obviously has the wheels. he made good decisions with the option. good decisions on when to jet. he just had a bit too much adrenaline going, i think, and was letting the ball fly. he will be ok.

td....if i remember correctly, you weren't much of a LJ fan either. even though he racked up just about every QB record possible at OU.

Knight will be fine. if he isn't, we have a pretty good #2.

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh, in regards to the op, i'd have to say Thompson.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Thompson was a converted wide receiver by the time he got to starting quarterback. Still then he won a Big XII title. The answer is Bomar.

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Thompson was a converted wide receiver by the time he got to starting quarterback. Still then he won a Big XII title. The answer is Bomar.

oh yeah. forgot about Bomar.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does nobody remember Paul Thompson??? Just wasn't that great.

if you don't remember PT or give him huge props, then I dunno what else one could say.

he lost his job, converted to a WR.

He didn't leave.

He didn't sulk.

He did what was asked of him.

When Bomar screwed da pooch, he came back as the starter.

He won the game vs da bugeaters for the CCG with his 99 yard drive.

He should and will always have a special place in OU folklore.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first year at OU Dean Blevins was booed unmercifully by the fans in his first game. Of course he was following Steve Davis but I still thought it was wrong.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first year at OU Dean Blevins was booed unmercifully by the fans in his first game. Of course he was following Steve Davis but I still thought it was wrong.

Booing any college kid is pretty low class.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay guys had a chance to go back and watch the entire game on DVR and without the beer goggles on! Knight had several plays that still make you scratch your head as far as accuracy was concerned but then he would drop a ball right on the money only to have the WR drop it. So my initial assessment was a little harsh but I am used to seeing a OU passing game that is efficient and moves the chains. Some of what was happening was the play calling and the ULM defense knowing what was coming. Some of the other throws and the skipped passes could be contributed to nerves in a first game but the 4 batted passes at the line got me wondering. How tall is this kid? Things like that should not happen unless the D-line is making incredible plays. These balls were not thrown well they were at shoulder pad level and pretty much there for the taking. Provided he cleans up the batted passes and completes at least 60% against WVU I will eat my proper serving of crow ;-)

Someone mentioned earlier about me not being a fan of LJ and that is true. He owns every passing record but was the worlds worst QB under pressure. As long as the line gave him time and he wasn't hit he would tear up a defense. Let someone hit him and the happy feet would start and the accuracy would suffer. That is one of the things I appreciated about Bradford. He may get blasted in the pocket but he was going to stand his ground and put the ball on target. LJ would never do that and he is not doing it in the NFL either. How he made the cut at the Steelers baffles me. He has all the tools but when the heat is on he can't get the job done because he is scared.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say this second assessment is pretty much right on. We should know more after WVU.