• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worried About The Yorks

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right. There was that time with York Sr and the water bottles.

Exactly....although I can't remember the specifics, but that 'water bottle' issue is the first thing I think of when someone says 'York' and 'cheap' in the same sentence.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They have so many needs though where even signing a mediocre player would be an improvement over what they currently have. They have a good opportunity to compete for a spot in the post season this year if they get the right complementary pieces in place now.

Thats what the draft is for, you add 9 draft picks into the mix. If they trade down, might be even more picks?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok so let's say they do build through free agency and sign Norwell, and Robinson probably the only guys they could have added to make a big difference. Then they deplete the cap and when good players on their roster need to be resigned like Buckner or any one of their safeties they may not have the money to get that done. You have to use both free agency and the draft to create winning teams in the salary cap era.

Yes, and more draft than free agency.

Without continually good drafts, you can't build nor sustain a good team.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so let's say they do build through free agency and sign Norwell, and Robinson probably the only guys they could have added to make a big difference. Then they deplete the cap and when good players on their roster need to be resigned like Buckner or any one of their safeties they may not have the money to get that done. You have to use both free agency and the draft to create winning teams in the salary cap era.
I disagree but I get your point.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet I've been a Niner fan longer than you've been alive. Almost all of the owners are in it for the money. An NFL team is a bottomless cash machine. That's why it costs so much to buy a team.

You didn't answer my question or address my response. Give it a try.

You're not seeing any signings lately.
Who is out there to sign?
Who was out there a few days that you think the Yorks were too cheap to sign?

The fact is FA is essentially over b/c anyone worth signing to any real money is already signed and taht was still the case several days ago. Your post didn't make much sense and when I pointed it out, you resorted to insults. Try again.

Like who?
I don't know; that's what I expect the professionals who get paid by the 49ers to do that type of thing to tell me. One thing I know for sure is that there have to be better O linemen out there than we currently have; better linebackers and a running back. Ours are just too bad for that not to be the case.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think much of what has been said about the Yorks isn't due to them wanting to save money During the Harbaugh era, the 49ers were among the league leaders in player payroll and had one of the highest paid coaching staffs. That changed to do many factors. As for spending on free agents during the Baalke era, that wasn't because the York's didn't want to spend. Baalke was a notoriously conservative GM. He did not believe in spending big in FA and preferred building through the draft. Above all Baalke wanted to horde draft and comp picks thinking he could build the roster that way
Remember the Yorks made players pay for their own stamps to answer fan mail? rememeber they nixed mariucci's plan to buy championship belt buckles for winning the western division? Then hiring the tools that they did as head coaches because they came cheap. Those are just three of the things I remember. It goes on and on.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats what the draft is for, you add 9 draft picks into the mix. If they trade down, might be even more picks?
I hope the draft is successful but its usually not the case with the Niners. They drafted one good player last year and he can't stay healthy or stay out of trouble. Its been trades and free agency that have helped the 49ers recently, not the draft.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bet I've been a Niner fan longer than you've been
alive.
Almost all of the owners are in it for the money. An NFL team is a bottomless cash machine. That's why it costs so much to buy a team.

You didn't answer my question or address my response. Give it a try.

You're not seeing any signings lately.
Who is out there to sign?
Who was out there a few days that you think the Yorks were too cheap to sign?

The fact is FA is essentially over b/c anyone worth signing to any real money is already signed and taht was still the case several days ago. Your post didn't make much sense and when I pointed it out, you resorted to insults. Try again.

Like who?
I'll take that bet.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they do.

How? Investing the saved money they have to rollover to next year's minimum? To sacrifice wins that would have gotten them more money? Or would we win and save cap money? If so, then what's the problem? Winning gets them the most. If spending helps, they will spend.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How? Investing the saved money they have to rollover to next year's minimum? To sacrifice wins that would have gotten them more money? Or would we win and save cap money? If so, then what's the problem? Winning gets them the most. If spending helps, they will spend.
Nope. By putting the money in the bank that they could have spent on players.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the draft is successful but its usually not the case with the Niners. They drafted one good player last year and he can't stay healthy or stay out of trouble. Its been trades and free agency that have helped the 49ers recently, not the draft.

It's too early to judge last years draft class. I would argue the hot at least two good players in Foster and Witherspoon, not to mention Taylor , Colbert and Breda look like solid players. The. verdict is still out on Thomas. I think you could argue Kittle and Beathard look like a solid player in Kittle and at least an okay back up in Beathard.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But they have to use it the next year. So the only way that they save is to invest it. Yes, they can put it in their bank, but they would make more by winning. Maybe in rebuilding years they do a cost benefit analysis of spending to get there, but when you have a QB and defense, you spend. There's a cap floor you have to reach and the Niners had been close to the max in recent years. This year is an exception compared to other years.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why spend it on lower tier free agents, this year wasn't as strong a group of free agents. Plus who knows what players could get released from now to the start of the season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes, it hasn't been the case going back years, but this current group is allowed some rope. We had a good draft class last year, look how much playing time they got? Other than Williams who went on IR, who didn't play? So let them draft again and see what happens? What else are you going to do with 9 picks, cut them?

The trade for Jimmy G was huge, but what other trade made a big difference?

Free Agency is SUPPOSED to help right off the bat, but you pay a lot more.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know; that's what I expect the professionals who get paid by the 49ers to do that type of thing to tell me. One thing I know for sure is that there have to be better O linemen out there than we currently have; better linebackers and a running back. Ours are just too bad for that not to be the case.
So, the Niners should be doing something, but you dont’ know what and they should be signing FAs but you don’t know who. Got it.

The OT spot and C spot are taken care of. We have 3 OT spots filled. Staley, Brown, Gilliam. No upgrade needed. We replaced Kilgore with Richburg. He’s a big upgrade. That leaves OG. We’ll have Garnett for the time in the Shanny era and we just signed Cooper. That’s 2 new bodies at OG. And the draft has some very good OGs (Nelson, Wynn, Hernandez, etc) that’ll be available when we pick. Only so many of them can make the roster.

We just signed a RB to a 7.5M/year deal. The coaches certainly think he’s an upgrade over Hyde. Williams missed all of last year, so he’ll be new this year and the draft is DEEP at RB, so we’ll almost certainly be drafting one.

As for LBs, there aren’t really any pass rushers out there. We’ll be getting Smith back as he missed last season with injury. The only real issue we have is pass rusher and depth at MLB behind Foster.

The facts show us that the team did very well in FA, not only resigning our own emerging players, but making significant upgrades at positions of weakness.

Last edited:

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the Niners should be doing something, but you dont’ know what and they should be signing FAs but you don’t know who. Got it.

The OT spot and C spot are taken care of. We have 3 OT spots filled. Staley, Brown, Gilliam. No upgrade needed. We replaced Kilgore with Richburg. He’s a big upgrade. That leaves OG. We’ll have Garnett for the time in the Shanny era and we just signed Cooper. That’s 2 new bodies at OG. And the draft has some very good OGs (Nelson, Wynn, Hernandez, etc) that’ll be available when we pick. Only so many of them can make the roster.

We just signed a RB to a 7.5M/year deal. The coaches certainly think he’s an upgrade over Hyde. Williams missed all of last year, so he’ll be new this year and the draft is DEEP at RB, so we’ll almost certainly be drafting one.

As for LBs, there aren’t really any pass rushers out there. We’ll be getting Smith back as he missed last season with injury. The only real issue we have is pass rusher and depth at MLB behind Foster.

The facts show us that the team did very well in FA, not only resigning our own emerging players, but making significant upgrades at positions of weakness.

By most accounts, SF did well in the offseason. Ensured the QB spot is secure for however long they feel, and extended others like Marquis Goodwin. They got the two targeted guys in FA, had Sherman basically wanting to be a Niner, as well as some bodies that may help in situations like Cooper and Attaochu.

Plenty of cash in the bank to do more damage if teams cut others, or roll it over to next year. Every year a team gets crowned 'offseason champ' because they spent the most money/acquired the most players.....the Niners spent smartly and I believe this pays out in the long run.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too early to judge last years draft class. I would argue the hot at least two good players in Foster and Witherspoon, not to mention Taylor , Colbert and Breda look like solid players. The. verdict is still out on Thomas. I think you could argue Kittle and Beathard look like a solid player in Kittle and at least an okay back up in Beathard.
I agree with you on Colbert. He looks like he could become really good. He has no fear out there but sometimes that causes him to get hurt; kind of like Foster.
Kittle looks like he could be a pretty good Tight End but Thomas won't be anything. Stanford defenders never pan out in the pros. I think it has to do with the style of defense they play at that school.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they have to use it the next year. So the only way that they save is to invest it. Yes, they can put it in their bank, but they would make more by winning. Maybe in rebuilding years they do a cost benefit analysis of spending to get there, but when you have a QB and defense, you spend. There's a cap floor you have to reach and the Niners had been close to the max in recent years. This year is an exception compared to other years.
I disagree. They need to use a certain minimum for their salaries but once they hit that number there is nothing that says they have to spend any more. Am I wrong?
You are probably right though; there is probably a plan in place that I am not seeing and they don't want to deviate from it before giving it a couple of years to pan out.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it hasn't been the case going back years, but this current group is allowed some rope. We had a good draft class last year, look how much playing time they got? Other than Williams who went on IR, who didn't play? So let them draft again and see what happens? What else are you going to do with 9 picks, cut them?

The trade for Jimmy G was huge, but what other trade made a big difference?

Free Agency is SUPPOSED to help right off the bat, but you pay a lot more.
I meant to say that free agency and trades were what helped the team. Goodwin was a nice pickup, Garcon was too until he got hurt. Smith, I think, would have been good had he not got hurt. It just seems that those types of players bring an impact quicker than rookies. I bet that Sherman, McKinnon and the dude we got from the Giants have more impact than anyone we draft this year in the short run.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's about right but I have to admit you seem more on top of the player situation than me. I don't even know who Cooper and Gilliam are.